TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job Opportunity EXAM NUMBER:
Y5098D FILING START DATE:
12/17/20 at 8:00 A.M. (PT)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest municipal health system in the nation. Through its integrated system of 27 health centers and four hospitals - and expanded network of community partner clinics - DHS annually provides direct care for over 600,000 unique patients, employs over 23,000 staff, and has an annual budget of over $6.2 billion. For additional information regarding DHS please visit www.dhs.lacounty.gov. DHS leads the County's effort to provide health services to the residents of Los Angeles County, of which approximately two million are uninsured. DHS hospitals also conduct post-graduate medical education through university affiliations for interns, residents and fellows to train the physician workforce for tomorrow. MISSION
To advance the health of our patients and our communities by providing extraordinary care.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Positions allocable to this class perform one of the following two assignments:Nursing care of stable and basically well and normal newborn infants and children of preschool age:Nursing Attendants I in this assignment are assigned to hospital nursery wards and nursery facilities and day care nurseries of County hospitals or other health facilities. Infants and children of preschool age cared for by such positions may be suffering minor injuries or distress; however, children who become very ill or unstable are cared for by others. In this assignment, Nursing Attendants I are responsible for providing a safe, caring and comfortable environment for infants and children in their care.Basic nursing care of adults, children and adolescents in an inpatient setting:Nursing Attendants I in this assignment are assigned to wards housing at least some patients who are chronically ill but who are stable and require some bedside care and the observation and reporting of behavior and manifest signs of their physical condition. Patients who are acutely ill or unstable or who require extensive or specialized treatment are assigned to other nursing personnel for care. Positions in this class may also move patients from one hospital area or ward to another and assist in moving patients from beds to stretchers.In either assignment Nursing Attendants I are responsible for performing specific nursing care tasks defined for them in a nursing plan. The plan for such care is specified in detail for each patient by a registered nurse or physician and methods for providing this care are prescribed. Within this context positions in the class are responsible for maintaining a planned environment that is physically and emotionally conducive to patient comfort and safety. To do this, the worker furnishes personal services such as assisting patients in grooming, hygiene and feeding; gives reassurance and other emotional support to the patients; accompanies or transports patients to clinic, therapy, recreation and other off-the-ward activities; and monitors patients' condition and taking vital signs and observing and reporting patient symptoms and behavior. Because many patients require help in meeting their needs, much of the work of many positions in this class involves long periods of standing and walking and some stooping lifting.
Essential Job Functions
- Monitors condition of patient while being moved and reports any manifest change in condition to a registered nurse or physician.
- Takes and records temperature, pulse and respiration of patients, and reports adverse vital signs or observed abnormal stress or discomfort.
- Helps patients as may be required in all of the usual activities of daily living, such as eating, brushing teeth and dressing and undressing, and eliminating.
- Moves patients on beds or stretchers from one ward to another or to operating or examining rooms.
- Contributes to patient comfort and well-being by rearranging bedding and changing linen, serving and removing meal trays and responding to requests for personal services, such as filling water containers, making mechanical adjustments of bed, providing assistance in changing position in bed, furnishing bedpans and urinals, and giving shampoos and back rubs.
- Assists physicians by positioning and holding patients for examination or treatment.
- Turns and positions patients and places supports to prevent pressure sores.
- Assures a safe and sanitary environment for the patient by cleaning up minor spills in kitchen and dining areas, by making beds, cribs and bassinets, and by maintaining ward, sleeping quarters and recreational areas in a clean and orderly condition.
- Encourages ambulatory patients to participate fully in their own dressing, feeding, and hygiene.
- Supervises children in recreational activities and social relationships.
- As an incident to other duties described above, escorts patients to outside clinics, schools, recreational therapy sites and other activities away from the ward or nursery.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS :
1. Certification as a Nursing Assistant by the State of California.* -AND-
2. Certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program.** PHYSICAL CLASS: IV - Arduous
: Involves frequent heavy lifting over 25 pounds, often combined with bending, twisting, or working on irregular surfaces; and occasionally requires extraordinary physical activity. LICENSE AND CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS:
License(s) and Certificate(s) Required:
*To compete in this examination process, applicants must have current certification as a Nursing Assistant by the State of California -OR- have an equivalent certification issued by a State Government Board within the United States of America. The required certification must be current and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary, or restricted certification will not be accepted.
Applicants who are not certified as a Nursing Assistant by the State of California but have an equivalent certification issued by a State Government Board within the United States of America at the time of filing may compete in this examination; however, the names of such candidates will be withheld from the certification list pending receipt of the required certification by the State of California.
Applicants must ensure the License and Certification Section of the application is completed. Provide the title of your required certification, the certificate number, date of issue, date of expiration and the name of the issuing agency for the required certification as specified in the Selection Requirements. AND
**Applicants must attach a legible photocopy of their current Certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program to their application. If you are unable to attach required document, you must e-mail the documents to Teresa Ruocco at TRuocco@dhs.lacounty.gov, within 15 calendar days of filing online. Please include the exam number and the exam title. A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of a multiple-choice test weighted 100% which will assess achievement, following instructions, patient focus, and professional potential.
Candidates must meet the Selection Requirements and receive a passing score of 70% or higher on the weighted part of the examination in order to be placed on the Eligible register. WRITTEN TESTS ARE NOT REVIEWABLE BY CANDIDATES PER CIVIL SERVICE RULE 7.19.
Applicants will receive instructions via email on when and how to log on and take the online unproctored written test. Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail.
TRANSFER OF SCORES
Applicants that have taken identical written test part(s) for other exams within the last 12 months, will have their written test responses for the identical test part(s) automatically transferred to this examination.
This examination contains test parts that may be used in the future for new examinations. Your scores will be transferred to the new examination and may not be allowed to re-take any identical test parts for at least 12 months.
Study guides and other test preparation resources are available to help candidates prepare for employment tests. While the guides will help in preparing for the test, we advise you to review all related materials that you deem necessary.
- An interactive, Online Test Preparation System for taking practice tests may be accessed on the Department of Human Resources website at: http://hr.lacounty.gov/ . Please click on "Find a Job" and then "Job Search Toolkit." Test Preparation Information is located under the "Employment Test Assistance" section.
- Additional practice tests are available at: https://www.shldirect.com/practice_tests.html
Applications will be processed on an"as-received" basis and those receiving a passing score will bepromulgated to the eligible register accordingly. The names of the candidatesreceiving a passing grade on the examination will be added to the eligibleregister without indication of relative standing in the exam. Successfulcandidates will remain on the register for a period of twelve (12) monthsfollowing the date of eligibility. No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months. SPECIAL INFORMATION:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. AVAILABLE SHIFTS:
Any. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The eligible register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION FILING INFORMATION:
Applications must be filed online only. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PT, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking the "APPLY" green button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
For the foreseeable future, all notices including invitation letters, result letters and notices of non-acceptance will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail. Please note, if you opt out of receiving emails, you can visit governmentjobs.com, log into your profile and check your inbox. The inbox retains a copy of all emails sent, for your records.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly
shown that you meet the SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
. Fill out your application and supplemental questionnaire completely to receive full credit for related education and/or experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. Please do not group your experience, for each position held, give the name and address of your employer, your position title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worded per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. IMPORTANT NOTES:
- Please note that All information supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION. We may reject your application at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment is made.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification and/or Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Comments such as "SEE RESUME" or "SEE APPLICATION" will not be considered as a response; in doing so, your application will be REJECTED.
- It is recommended that you provide your work experience using statements that provide the following three elements: ACTION you took, the CONTEXT in which you took that action, and the BENEFIT that was realized from your action.
- Include specific reference to the impact you made in the positions you have held.
If you are unable to attach documents to your application, you must email the documents to the Exam Analyst, Teresa Ruocco at email@example.com within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online.
Please include your full name, examination number and examination title in the subject of your email.
Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER LANGUAGE:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number. NO SHARING USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment . The County will make an individual assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed . ADA COORDINATOR:
(323) 914-7111 CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
(800) 735-2922 DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Teresa Ruocco, Exam Analyst