FIRST DAY OF FILING: September 8, 2017 at 8:00 a. m. (PST)
Until the needs of the services are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. EXAM NUMBER - Y5121TTYPE OF RECRUITMENT - OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITYREBULLETIN: THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS REBULLETIN TO ADD THE MANPOWER SHORTAGE RECRUITMENT RATE. PERSONS WHO HAVE ALREADY APPLIED WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS NEED NOT REAPPLY, BUT MAY SUBMIT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION BY THE LAST OF FILING. THE INFORMATION MUST INCLUDE YOUR NAME, THE CORRECT EXAMINATION TITLE AND NUMBER.
Due to Manpower shortage recruitment, incumbents and appointees in the nursing of Integrated Correctional Health Service shall be compensated at Step 3. Manpower Shortage Recruitment established in the Los Angeles County Code Section 6.10.050. The recruitment rates shall remain in effect through June 30,2020.DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES:
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest health system in the nation, providing compassionate, quality care through its integrated system of hospitals and community-based clinics. DHS annually cares for about 600,000 unique patients, employs over 22,000 staff and has an annual operating budget of $4.3 billion. DHS leads the county's effort to provide health services to the resident of Los Angeles County, of which approximately two million are uninsured. DHS hospitals also conduct post-graduate medical education through university affiliations for interns, residents and fellows to train the physician workforce for tomorrow.THE MISSION:
We're remaking the nation's largest county-run correctional health system with a focus on social justice medicine, compassionate whole-person care, community partnership and professional growth. Every day, we put our vision and our values into practice as we strive to strive to improve healthcare for uniquely underserved population.DEFINITION:
Works in collaboration with physicians to provide primary health care to incarcerated patients within the Los Angeles County Correctional Facilities by providing complete physical examinations, diagnosis, treatment of disorders; and plans and implements health care goals which are reviewed and approved by the physician.
Essential Job Functions
- Conducts comprehensive physical examinations, diagnoses and treats patients, issues information and initiates emergency care procedures to a population of male and female incarcerated patients.
- Provides medical clinical coverage and is responsible and accountable for the continuity of healthcare for male and female patients with acute and chronic illnesses and other conditions requiring medical care and treatment.
- Orders, reviews, and interprets laboratory results, x-rays, and EKG's.
- Analyzes data collected to determine patient health status and identifies differential diagnosis based on patient history, physical examinations, and clinical findings and discusses the results with the patient.
- Prescribes, administers, and dispenses medication.
- Acts as an advocate for incarcerated patients requiring immediate medical action to improve healthcare status or makes informed decisions about the healthcare treatment plans before they are administered.
- Consults with the physician as needed to coordinate a plan of care, implement inpatient treatments, review mental assessments, and/or to discuss disease prevention and patient education needs.
- Performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, including: biopsies, suturing, wound care, incisions and drainage, splint and casting.
- Evaluates assessment data to define health and developmental problems.
- Conducts quality assurance studies of chart documents and the quality care provided to incarcerated patients.
- Assists in preparing training materials for ongoing and continuing education
- Actively participates in interdisciplinary patient care meetings and addresses the identified clinical needs of the patient.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
. A Bachelor's degree* in Nursing or a closely related health field** from an accredited ***college or university AND a Master's degree* in nursing.OPTION II
. An "accelerated" Master's* degree (in the absence of a Bachelor's degree) in nursing from an accredited*** college or university****.LICENSE(S) REQUIRED:
The required license and certificate MUST be current and unrestricted: a provisional, conditional or restricted license and certificate will NOT be accepted.
- A license to practice as a Registered Nurse and a certificate to practice as a Nurse Practitioner issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Applicants must ensure the License and Certification Section of the application is completed. Provide the title(s) of your required license(s), the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for the required license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
- A current, active certification in accordance with the American Heart Associate's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program. Applicants MUST attach a legible photocopy of the required BLS certification to their application at the time of filing or fax it to (323) 869-0942 or email it to exam analyst at email@example.com within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online. Please include the exam number and the exam title.
PHYSICAL CLASS II- Light
- A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
: Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*In order to meet the Selection Requirements, applicants are required to attach a valid legible photocopy of Bachelor's Degree and/or Master's Degree with the application at the time of filing, or fax the copies of degrees to (323) 869-0942 or email to exam analyst at firstname.lastname@example.org within fifteen (15) calendar days from the date of filing your application online.
Applications without the required degrees will be considered incomplete, and subject to disqualification.
**Closely related health field is defined as:
- Nursing Administration
- Nursing Education
- Health Science
- Healthcare Management
- Healthcare Education
- Healthcare Administration
- Public Health (for other than Public Health Nurses)
Accredited institutions are those listed in the publications of regional, national or international accrediting agencies which are accepted by the Department of Human Resources. Publications such as American Universities and Colleges and International Handbook of Universities are acceptable references. Also acceptable, if appropriate, are degrees that have been evaluated and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from United States accredited institutions by an academic credential evaluation agency recognized by The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE).
****To qualify under Option II, Applicants must attach a legible copy of your diploma or official transcripts AND official letter from the accredited institution that indicates the "accelerated" program with your application at the time of filing or fax it to (323) 869-0942 or email to exam analyst at email@example.com, within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of self assessment based on Supplemental Questionnaire, weighted 100% covering experience, professional development, collaboration, and leadership and management skills. Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on this examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to eligible register accordingly.
The names of the candidates receiving a passing grade on this examination shall be added to the eligible register without indication of relative standing in the examination. Successful candidates will remain on the register for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility. No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.SPECIAL INFORMATION:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. AVAILABLE SHIFT:
The Eligible Register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services - Correctional Facilities. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION :APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX, OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" button for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the requirements. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If you application is incomplete, it will be rejected. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST on the last day of filing will not be accepted. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR PHONE
(323) 869-7124CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE
(800) 735-2922DEPARTMENT CONTACT
Israel Belmont, Exam Analyst