Y5295Y FILING START DATE
November 16, 2020 at 10:00 A.M. (PT)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job OpportunityABOUT LOS ANGELES COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest health system in the nation, providing compassionate, quality care through its integrated system of hospitals and community-based clinics. DHS annually cares for about 600,000 unique patients, employs over 22,000 staff and has an annual operating budget of $4.3 billion. DHS leads the County's effort to provide health services to the residents of Los Angeles County, of which approximately two million are uninsured. DHS hospitals also conduct post-graduate medical education through university affiliations for interns, residents and fellows to train the physician workforce for tomorrow. THE MISSION:
Our mission is to ensure access to high-quality, patient-centered, cost-effective health care to Los Angeles County residents through direct services at DHS facilities and through collaboration with community and university partners.DEFINITION:
Under general direction, the Assistant Nursing Director, Administrator (ANDA), Infection Control provides supervision, management, and leadership for the hospital's Infection Prevention & Control Division. The ANDA is responsible for the overall facility compliance and adherence to infection prevention and control standards. This individual works collaboratively as resource and consultant across the organization, including associated clinics and clinic sites, in policy development, employee education, department specific infection prevention and control projects, and assessment and management of infectious or communicable diseases. The ANDA will work with administrative and clinical leaders to implement prevention measures hospital wide.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides supervision, management, and leadership for the Infection Prevention & Control Division. Responsible for the overall hospital compliance and adherence to federal, state and county infection prevention and control standards.
- Maintains currency with, interprets and converts government regulations and agency guidelines into applicable facility-based policies and procedures. Ensures facility compliance with government and accrediting body regulations related to infection prevention and control.
- Monitors operational compliance with licensure, accreditation and regulatory standards, and recommends changes as needed.
- Plans, selects and devises nursing administrative methods, procedures, work flow and standards for quality and quantity of work, including staffing standards.
- Interprets and directs the implementation of nursing philosophy and objectives, Department policies and procedures, and applies recognized standards of nursing care.
- Advises nursing managers and other nursing executives on management, administrative or technical procedures and techniques.
- Conducts high level and detailed process flow studies to evaluate infection prevention and control clinical issues and researches best practices to develop reasonable solutions to identified problems.
- Performs outbreak investigations by collecting data from multiple sources, conducting research on relevant issues, and reporting to stakeholders. Answers inquiries on individual patient cases for public health department.
- Identifies patients at risk of infection, clustering or outbreaks of infection, variation from baseline HAI rates, and unusual presentations of infection, and takes appropriate steps to mitigate identified issues.
- Assumes primary responsibility for all aspects of project management for infection prevention and control projects.
- Determines personnel, material, equipment and facilities needed to accomplish program goals.
- Assigns, directs and reviews the work of subordinate supervisors and/or other employees.
- Conducts educational rounds related to infection prevention and control initiatives.
- Supports the organization's risk management program related to follow up on infection prevention and control-related Patient Safety Net (PSN) notifications and potential/actual litigated cases.
- Completes ICRAs which involve reviewing the applicable project, assigning risk/class level, and monitoring facility construction sites for compliance with applicable regulations.
- Participates in disaster preparedness (e.g. terrorist attack, influx of infectious diseases, earthquake, floods, fires, etc.) and updates/revises emergency policy content as needed.
- Participates in DHS-Wide committees and project groups to provide facility specific input and make recommendations for system-wide improvements.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
1. A Bachelor's degree* in Nursing from an accredited nursing program. -AND-
2.Three (3) years of experience at the level of Supervising Staff Nurse I** or higher, supervising*** an infection control unit in a large hospital (200+ beds), or large correctional institution, or rehabilitation hospital, or comprehensive health center offering multiple ambulatory care services. LICENSE(S) AND CERTIFICATE(S) REQUIRED: A current license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
Applicants must ensure the License and Certification Section of the application is completed. Provide the title(s) of your required license(s), the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for the required license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
Applicants claiming experience in a state other than California must provide their Registered Nurse License Number from that state on the application at the time of filing. Out-of-State experience provided on the application without the required license number will not be considered.
The required license and certification MUST
be current/active and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted license or certification will NOT
be accepted. A current certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program.
attach a legible photocopy of the required BLS certification to their application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing your application online.
Applications submitted without the required evidence of BLS certification will be rejected.A valid California Class C Driver's License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions. PHYSICAL CLASS
II- Light: Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10-pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
* In order to receive credit for any college course work, or any type of college degree, such as a Bachelor's degree or higher, you must include a legible copy of the official diploma, official transcripts, or official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization with your application, at the time of filing, or email to the analyst within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online.
**The Supervising Staff Nurse I supervises nursing activities in an assigned hospital inpatient care unit for a shift and performs professional nursing duties.
***For this examination, supervising experience is defined as planning, assigning and reviewing the work of staff, and evaluating employee performance.
Applicants MUST meet the experience in the Selection Requirements at the time of filing. Los Angeles County employees wishing to claim experience gained in a position performing similar kinds of work which provide the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this higher-level position will be accepted. Applicants claiming such experience in County service must present written proof of such experience by submitting Out-of-Class Bonus verification, Additional Responsibility Bonus verification, or performance evaluations, at the time of filing or within fifteen (15)
calendar days from application submission. Verification of Experience letters will not be accepted.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
Additional credits will be given to applicants who possess the following:
To receive credit for the desirable qualifications, you must attach a copy of your degree and certification to your application at the time of filing, or email the documents to the analyst within 15 calendar days from the application filing date.
- A Master's degree or higher in Nursing from an accredited nursing program.
- ANational Certification in Infection Prevention and Control (CIC) issued by the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc.
- Additional experience at the level of Supervising Staff Nurse I** or higher, supervising an infection control unit - in excess of the Selection Requirements.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
The examination will consist of an evaluation of education, training and experience based upon application information and desirable qualifications, weighted 100%.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be placed on the eligible register. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION :
Applications will be processed on an "as received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months. AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The eligible register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION :
Applications must be filed online only. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking the green "APPLY" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
For the foreseeable future, all notices including invitation letters, result letters and notices of non-acceptance will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK
mail. Please note, if you opt out of receiving emails, you can visit governmentjobs.com, log into your profile and check your inbox. The inbox retains a copy of all emails sent, for your records.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly
shown that you meet the SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
. Fill out your application and supplemental questionnaire completely to receive full credit for related education and/or experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. Please do not group your experience, for each position held, give the name and address of your employer, your position title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. IMPORTANT NOTES:
- Please note that All information supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION. We may reject your application at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment is made.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION.
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification and/or Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Comments such as "SEE RESUME" or "SEE APPLICATION" will not be considered as a response; in doing so, your application will be REJECTED.
- It is recommended that you provide your work experience using statements that provide the following three elements: ACTION you took, the CONTEXT in which you took that action, and the BENEFIT that was realized from your action. Include specific reference to the impact you made in the positions you have held.
If you are unable to attach documents to your application, you must email the documents to the Exam Analyst, Sylvia Jaimez at firstname.lastname@example.org within 15 calendar days of filing online
. Please ensure to reference your attachment(s) by including your full name, examination number and examination title in the subject of your email. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER LANGUAGE :
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employees have a Social Security Number. NO SHARING USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE :
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment . The County will make an individual assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed .ADA COORDINATOR PHONE:
(800) 899-4099CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
Sylvia Jaimez, Exam Analyst