Overview ENHANCED TREATMENT AND SITE UPGRADE PROGRAMASSISTANT ENGINEER(Long-Term, Limited Duration)PLUS Excellent Benefits Final Online Filing Date: Sunday, 4/11/2021Online Written Exam - 4/15-4/16/2021Virtual Qualification Interviews - 4/26 or 4/29/2021Finalist Interviews - Week of 5/2/2021USD is Building its Future - Join us and Build Yours, too!
Are you passionate about protecting the San Francisco Bay? Union Sanitary District is transforming its Alvarado Wastewater Treatment Plant to reduce the nutrient loading to the Bay. This will improve water quality in the Bay. Broaden your skills by gaining exposure to every facet of a $300 Million Plus Capital Improvements Program. You can become a key player in this cradle-to-grave program. You will gain new or enhanced skills from your exposure to design, construction management, operational training, and startup.
USD offers careers with a great work/life balance. We are extremely proud of our diverse workforce of professionals. We currently have one position available for an Assistant Engineer - Limited Duration,
to join our Enhanced Treatment and Site Upgrade Program Team (ETSU)
. This is a fully-benefited position for a long-term, limited duration which is expected to be 7-10 years.
Union Sanitary District (USD) is an award-winning, innovative independent special district formed in 1918 providing wastewater collection, treatment, and disposal services to the residents and businesses in the Tri-cities of Fremont, Newark, and Union City in southern Alameda County (south-eastern Bay Area). USD is committed to providing exceptional service to our customers through the fulfillment of our Mission Statement, "To safely and responsibly collect and treat wastewater, and to recover resources from process waste streams, while protecting human health and improving the environment in a way that benefits the Tri-Cities and all USD stakeholders."
We're seeking an energetic, results-oriented engineer to be a key member of a multidisciplinary team that will work on the planning, design, construction, startup, and commissioning of an Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant. Under the direction of the ETSU Program Manager and ETSU Assistant Program Manager, you will work with our Workgroup Managers, Coaches, USD staff, Engineering Firms, Consultants, Construction Managers, Contractors, Project Managers, Public Agencies, and individuals to provide comprehensive direction, coordination, and implementation of projects in a timely and cost-effective manner. You'll have a defined career path to a more senior level engineering position within a few years.
USD developed the Enhanced Treatment and Site Upgrade (ETSU) Program to upgrade and bring infrastructure up to current standards and to address impending regulatory requirements and capacity needed to meet the General Plans of the Cities we serve. The Program is a roadmap for the treatment plant's infrastructure over the next 40 years. Read more about the ETSU program at www.unionsanitary.ca.gov/etsu . Examples of Duties
The primary responsibility of the Assistant Engineer
will be to serve as project engineer in the administration of the designs and/or construction projects for the District's ETSU program.Typical Assistant Engineer Duties Include:
Qualifications Required Qualifications:
- Assists in the development of the scope of work for consultant contracts; works with consultants on day-to- day project activities; assists in reviewing consultants' submitted work products.
- Assists with inspection of contract construction projects for conformity with plans and specifications; assists in the administration of construction contracts, preparation of change orders, and review of progress payments.
- Assists in the preparation of detailed layout and design drawings in connection with District construction and maintenance projects, structures, and other facilities; assists in preparing draft technical specifications and contract provisions for proposed construction projects.
- Assists professional engineering staff with studies related to the planning, design, construction, and operation of facilities used for wastewater collection, treatment, and sludge disposal; prepares moderately difficult design and calculations for collection system, treatment plant, pump stations, and other District facilities.
- Provides backup to Engineers, Engineering Technicians and Construction Inspectors as necessary.
- Performs miscellaneous office engineering and field work as assigned.
Any combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities indicated below. A typical way of gaining the knowledge, skills, and abilities is:
The Ideal Candidate Will Demonstrate:
- Bachelor's degree (ABET accredited) in Civil, Mechanical or Environmental Engineering.
- At least two years of experience in the planning, design and/or construction of wastewater facilities, such as pump stations, wastewater treatment plant, and/or pipeline projects. Must currently possess Engineer in Training (EIT) Certification.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to work tactfully and effectively with District staff, consultants, contractors, and representatives of other agencies.
- Knowledge of wastewater engineering and the ability to understand problems, analyze alternatives, and make sound decisions.
- Efficiency in managing public works projects.
- Strong organizational abilities to plan, organize and coordinate a variety of engineering projects.
- Proven ability to learn quickly and effectively.
We also offer an excellent benefits package including:
Additional Information IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION:
- CalPERS retirement 2.5% at 55 formula. (If new to CalPERS or not from an agency with reciprocity with CalPERS, the formula is 2% at 62 by pension reform law.)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance substantially paid for by the District for the employee and family.
- Two weeks' vacation per year (increasing with longevity), and 13 paid holidays per year.
- STD, LTD and Life Insurance paid by the District.
- Alternative Work Week Schedule.
- Educational Reimbursement, Student and Computer Loan programs for non-probationary employees.
- Deferred compensation matching up to $3,050 per year.
Applicants must apply online at http://www.unionsanitary.ca.gov by 4:00 p.m., Sunday, April 11, 2021.
Union Sanitary District is not responsible for the failure of Internet forms in submitting your application.
Candidates who meet minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in an online Written Exam (online) to be held on Thursday, 4/15 - 4/16/2021.
The top candidates will be invited to a Virtual Qualifications Appraisal Interview and Work Sample scheduled for either Monday, 4/26/2021 or Thursday, 4/29/2021. Finalist interviews are scheduled for the week of May 2, 2021.
You will be contacted regarding all phases of this recruitment via email, so please check your inbox for correspondence regarding next steps and results through the exam process. Please ensure that the email address on your application is correct and current before submitting your application. Before appointment to the position the candidate must pass a criminal background check which includes a finger print scan, references, current DMV report and pre-employment physical.Disaster Service Worker:
Employees of Union Sanitary District are, by state and federal law, Disaster Service Workers. In the event of a declaration of emergency, any employee may be assigned activities which promote the protection of public health and safety or the preservation of lives and property either at the District or within the local, or your own community. Accommodation:
Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise Human Resources by emailing email@example.com upon submittal of application.
Union Sanitary District is an equal opportunity employer
encouraging workforce diversity.
Closing Date/Time: 4/11/2021 4:00 PM Pacific