Library Assistant - PT City of Waco, TX 1 of 3 Library Assistant - PT Office / Clerical 4465 Physical Type # 1 Branch Manager Waco-McLennan County Public Library 211 Non-Exempt
PRIMARY DUTIES: Under basic supervision, assists Waco-McLennan County Public Library (WPL) patrons with locating items, check-out and return of library materials and other customer services. Library Assistants are responsible for providing quality services to the public. They assist patrons in a friendly and a timely manner both in person and by telephone.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Use library automated system to check materials in/out, process holds, register new borrowers and collect fines/fees.
• Assist patrons with the use of library equipment, including the copier, fax, online catalog and public computers.
• Assist patrons with reference and readers' advisory questions.
• Shelves library materials.
• Assist patrons with locating material.
• Assists in keeping the library neat and orderly.
• Assist with opening and closing procedures of the library.
• Must follow ALA principles and guidelines as they pertain to censorship and confidentially.
• Duties may vary according to job assignment.
• Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
• Driving is essential.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• City policies and procedures.
• Customer service principles and practices.
• Computer use. Enters and retrieves data in automated records management systems.
• Cash handling.
• Knowledge of and commitment to excellent customer services.
• General knowledge of the library's service and collections.
• Ability to quickly and accurately sort by alphabetical, numerical, chronological, or Dewey Decimal order.
• Working knowledge of computers required.
• Knowledge of cash handling procedures
• Ability to multi-task and work with frequent interruptions.
• Ability to work cooperatively and interact with people of various personalities and ages in a variety of situations.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Flexible, adaptable and able to flourish in a changing environment.
• Cross-training in order to perform other duties and responsibilities is required.
• Knowledge in ALA principles and guidelines as they pertain to censorship and confidentiality.
Library Assistant - PT City of Waco, TX 2 of 3
• Accurately filing and finding library materials in a variety of designated locations.
• Closely following verbal and written instructions and procedures.
• Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Must be at least 16 years of age and have acquired or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
• Customer Service experience required.
• Public Library experience strongly preferred.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
• Must possess a valid Texas Driver's license.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The physical activities of this position include: o Balancing - Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling and walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces. o Stooping - Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist. o Kneeling - Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees. o Crouching - Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine. o Crawling - Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet. o Reaching - Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction. o Standing - Particularly for sustained periods of time. o Walking - Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another. o Pushing - Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward. o Pulling - Using upper extremities to exert force in order to drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion. o Lifting - Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles. o Finger Dexterity - Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling. o Grasping - Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. o Feeling - Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips. o Talking - Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. o Hearing - Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make the discriminations in sound. o Repetitive motion - Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
• The physical requirements of this position o Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. o Must be able to push book carts up to 200 pounds.
• The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception and field vision.
Library Assistant - PT City of Waco, TX 3 of 3 o The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
• The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position o Work is performed primarily in an office setting or well-lit, temperature-controlled working environment. o The worker is required to function in narrow aisles or passageways.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an 'at-will' relationship.
Job Description Acknowledgement I verify that I have received a copy of my job description by the signature below. As an employee of the City of Waco, I understand the duties and responsibilities assigned to me. Furthermore, I understand that the duties listed above are guidelines and will change over time, as necessary. From time to time, I understand that I may be asked to perform duties and handle responsibilities that are not specifically addressed in my job description.