JOB SUMMARY :
Performs technical accounting activities including processing and reconciling accounts; and to perform a variety of technical accounting duties involving the reporting of financial transactions and the maintenance of financial records for City operations, programs and services.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following) (Depending upon assignment)
- Performs technical accounting activities involving the reconciling and auditing of assigned accounts; maintains a variety of accounts and general ledgers; prepares monthly fiscal reports and special reports relating to the progress of assigned accounts.
- Analyzes revenues and expenditures; recommends amendments to the budget as appropriate.
- Compiles and prepares appropriate data for accounts receivable billing to outside agencies; ensures accuracy of data for billing purposes.
- Maintains and reconciles a variety of ledgers, reports and account records; examines and corrects accounting transactions to ensure accuracy.
- Monitors and balances various accounts verifying availability of funds and classification of expenditures; researches and analyzes transactions to resolve problems.
- Collects delinquent payments from appropriate sources, as defined by policy or operating procedures.
- Prepares statistical and financial reports; enters updated information into the data base and maintains accurate financial records; prepares financial reports from data files.
- Receives and enters monthly journal entries from various departments; sets up new accounts on computer data base; explains program or policy changes to affected users.
- Assists with the development of mainframe and computer generated reports and information; tests the accuracy of the information generated; troubleshoots program problems.
- Serves as a financial resource to various City departments; provides information regarding a variety of accounts, revenues and expenditures.
- Provides technical assistance to various City staff in matters related to financial accounting; assists departments in the proper classification of revenues and expenditures.
- Performs a variety of general clerical duties including typing, answering telephones , maintaining files and records, and processing the mail.
- Receives, tabulates and accounts for fees and other moneys received by the department.
- Confers with management to keep them informed on key issues to obtain their support and approval.
- Researches sources and bid proposals for department purchasing requests; completes purchase requests, bid documentation, specifications, correspondence and various purchase documentation; forwards completed purchase requests to the Purchasing Department.
- Maintain accurate records and files of purchase requisitions, bid documentation and related materials.
- Reviews requests for purchase to determine the types of materials, supplies, equipment or services required; ensures that such requests are complete and accurate and that proper authorization has been obtained.
- Orders materials and supplies from established sources of supply; obtains delivery information.
- Follows-up on purchase orders to receive information on delivery times and back-orders as needed.
- Works with the Purchasing Department and vendors to resolve purchase order, invoicing and delivery complaints and problems.
- Performs investment and payroll back-up activities.
- Performs those day-to-day activities that are required to keep the department (program) functioning effectively, but are not specifically related to project work.
- Assists department management with various special projects or programs.
- Performs other related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
Education and Experience:
- AA Degree or certificate in accounting, business administration or equivalent.
- Three years of progressively responsible accounting experience preferably with a public employer.
Equivalency: Five years of progressively responsible accounting experience preferably with a public employer may be substituted for the education and experience required above.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Must possess a valid state driver's license and maintain satisfactory motor vehicle record with the ability to obtain appropriate Nevada state driver's license within required time frame.
- Government bookkeeping and accounting principles and practices.
- Principles and procedures of financial record keeping and reporting.
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
- Financial research and report preparation methods and techniques.
- Advanced principles of mathematics.
- Principles of basic report preparation.
- Basic principles and practices of public purchasing.
- Pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and ordinances.
- Read, understand and interpret financial reports involving complex data.
- Examine and verify a wide variety of financial documents and reports.
- Operate a computer including a variety of software programs.
- Prepare a variety of complex financial statements, reports and analyses.
- Effectively interact with citizens and other departmental staff to exchange information in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Organizing and prioritizing tasks.
Oral Interview: 100%
- People Group: Teamster Non Supervisor
- Grade: TNE-15
- Minimum Salary: 19.88
- Maximum Salary: 33.51
- Pay Basis: HOURLY