JOB SUMMARY JOB SUMMARY
The City of San Marcos is looking for an energetic and organized individual to staff our Discovery Camp. The camp provides area children, ages 5 thru 10, with a fun and educational filled summer that includes games, activities, science experiments, crafts, and field trips! This is temporary employment.Staff training is Monday June 7, 2021-June 11, 2021. Camp runs from June 14-August 6th. Staff must be present from 7:15 am-5:30 pm
. The Site Supervisor reports to the Youth Services Manager and the Youth Services Specialist.
*Programming and hiring needs are subject to change due to Covid-19. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Organize and supervise educational and recreation program activities; provides supervision for children and staff at program sites and on field trips including transporting kids by bus. Encourages participation in activities, ensures children are accounted for at all times, and adheres to safety policies and procedures including pickup and drop off of children.
- Clean up during program hours as required for all programs (janitorial is contracted and is not available during the day).
- Schedules daily and weekly camp educational lesson plans: crafts, games, and onsite and offsite activities.
- Assist and coordinating and administering the City's Discovery Camp Program. Participates in monitoring and organizing camp activities; prepares program records and documentation; and performs other related duties.
- Communicates any concerns or information to the Youth Services Manager and Youth Services Coordinator.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications) MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able to perform duties safely and apply policies and procedures appropriately.
- Supervise children at all times.
- Must be able to facilitate and supervise an atmosphere that encourages challenge, learning, and growth.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS CORE COMPETENCIES
- High School Diploma and completion of 60 college credit hours in natural sciences, science/elementary education, recreation administration, or related field.
- Ability to learn and administer first aid.
- Experience working with children required. 2 years related experience required
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Must be able to read city and departmental policies, procedure manuals and memos. Writing skills are necessary to prepare reports, activity logs, safety inspection forms and accident reports.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with site personnel, supervisors, program participants, and parents.
Physical requirements include lifting up to 30 pounds occasionally. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, vision, hearing and talking frequently; lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, reaching, handling, fine dexterity, kneeling, crouching, crawling, bending, twisting, climbing and balancing occasionally.
Working conditions involve indoor and outdoor work, in the heat, sun, high humidity and wind; occasionally exposed to swimming pool chemicals, slippery surfaces; noise around crowds and whistles. Safety Sensitive Position.