- Activity Specialist (Salary: $15.00 per hour): Must be at least 18 years of age with a High School diploma/ GED , and no experience required.
- Activity Leader (Salary: $15.75 per hour):Must be at least 18 years of age with a High School diploma/ GED and six (6) months related experience.
Certifications:(applies to both Specialist and Leader positions)
Notes to Applicants
- If selected as a finalist, candidates must obtain or possess a valid CPR / AED and First Aid certifications within thirty (30) days of hire date.
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department ( PARD ) provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community. Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE
for more information.
Purpose of Position: The Nature Based Activity Specialist is a temporary/seasonal staff position scheduled to work between 20 and 40 hours per week in an After School or Summer Camp program setting. Successful applicants must demonstrate strong leadership, exhibit creative thinking, exercise good judgment, and have excellent communication skills.
Multiple Work Sites:
- Austin Nature & Science Center:
2389 Stratford Dr, Austin, TX 78746
- Camacho Activity Center:
35 Robert T, Robert T Martinez Jr St, Austin, TX 78702
- Zilker Botanical Gardens:
2220 Barton Springs Rd, Austin, TX 78746
- Please note your location preference in the supplemental section of your application. Location requests will be honored on an availability basis and the hiring manager will make the final decision on work site location.
Application Instructions/Job Requirements:
- Application: A detailed, complete application is required, and applicants must include on their Employment Record all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting - up to 10 years or more; this will be used to determine your base compensation. Employment Record dates must include month and year. Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application. Statements such as "See Resume" will not be accepted and a resume alone will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
- Skills Assessments: Skills assessment(s) may be required as part of the recruitment process.
- Virtual Interviews: PARD may conduct virtual interviews.
- Military/Veteran: An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
Physical Requirements: Tasks involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to fifty (50) pounds. Must be physically and mentally able to work with participants adapting to a variety of conditions such as daily walking, hiking, climbing, standing, balancing, kneeling, stooping, running, bending, crawling, swimming, stretching and reaching in rugged terrain. Tolerate loud noise associated with enthusiasm and excitement.Ability to work outside in all types of weather and/or inclement conditions, and in confined spaces.
- This is a multi-position posting and multiple candidates may be hired from this recruitment. If you are not contacted 10 business days after the recruitment closes, you are not moving forward in the recruitment process and we encourage you to review our other City of Austin recruitments.
- If you are selected for this position and meet the Driver Safety Program in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you will drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- 90 Day Provision for Additional Vacancy: This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other divisions/work locations within the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. Decisions on assigned selection will be made at the time of hire based on the business needs of the department.
- All PARD work site locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any PARD work site - including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicles located on the premises.
$15.00 - $15.75 per hour. Hours
Variable - 20 and 40 hours per week
Job Close Date
- Monday through Friday.
- Hours may vary between 7:30AM - 6:00PM.
- May be required to work weekends and during special events and programming needs.
07/25/2021 Type of Posting
Parks and Recreation Regular/Temporary
Temporary Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
Various Locations Preferred Qualifications
Preferred Education and Experience:
- College coursework in Natural Sciences or Education.
- Experience leading children in an outdoor setting.
- Experience in leading and/or instructing one or more of the following types of recreational programming: Environmental Education, Hiking, Mountain biking, Kayaking, Rock-climbing, Caving, Camping, and Film-Making.
- Experience using Final Cut for video-editing and in film-making; including writing, directing, filming and editing.
- Experience with environmental education, basic animal handling, hiking, film making, or gardening.
- Ability to fluently communicate (reading, writing, speaking) in English and Spanish.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
DUTIES , FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Safely facilitate and actively supervise participants at all times while engaging in a variety of indoor and outdoor activities.
Develop, modify and teach program activities to accommodate various ages, abilities and interests.
Regular attendance is mandatory for this position.
Attend all sessions of scheduled staff training.
Serve as a role-model, exercising appropriate decision-making and boundary setting.
Utilize effective behavior management skills including enforcing policies fairly, consistently, kindly and firmly.
Communicate clearly and professionally with participants, parents, co-workers and supervisor.
Work cooperatively with co-counselors and other staff.
Provide excellent customer service.
Complete reports and forms and assist with maintaining records in accordance with City of Austin ( COA ) and Parks & Recreation Department ( PARD ) policies and procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
Responsibilities - Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised: None. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
KNOWLEDGE , SKILLS AND ABILITIES :
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of youth programs and activities.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Ability to work with children and teens, including youth with special needs.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with the City and the public.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and have a High School diploma or GED by hire date. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* Have you previously worked for the City of Austin, Parks and Recreation Department? If yes, please indicate dates, work unit/section and position held at the Parks and Recreation Department.
(Open Ended Question)
* This position will work with age groups ranging from 3 to 18 years of age, and youth with special needs. List all of the age groups with which you have experience leading programming. Experience must be documented within the appropriate work experience at each job that is applicable within your application work history.
(Open Ended Question)
* Do you have experience teaching and/or leading young children in environmental education, outdoor recreation and/or active play?
* Briefly describe your experience in leading and/or instructing one or more of the following types of recreational programming. • Environmental Education • Hiking • Mountain Biking • Kayaking • Rock Climbing • Caving • Camping
(Open Ended Question)
* Please list all current certifications and/or trainings related to this position:
(Open Ended Question)
* Are you bilingual in English/Spanish or English/other language?
- Fluent in two or more languages - read, write, speak
- Bilingual and able to speak in a second language
- Bilingual and understand if someone is speaking to me in a second language
- None of the above
* If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
* This position requires traveling to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties. Will you be able to meet this requirement?"
* This is a multi-position job posting and you will only be notified if you are selected to move forward in the process. Once the department is no longer hiring for this position, you will receive a notification informing you of such.
- I acknowledge this statement
* Please note your location preferences below. If no preference, list 'no preference'. Location requests will be honored on an availability basis and the hiring manager will make the final decision on work site location.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents