San Mateo County Health is seeking a well-qualified individual for the position of Senior Accountant-Public Health-Limited Term
, to plan, oversee, coordinate, and monitor an accounting functional area; assign, direct, review and evaluate the work of accounting professional and support staff; perform complex professional accounting work relative to either centralized and/or departmental County accounting procedures and records; and perform related duties as assigned.
The current vacancy is limited term in the Public Health, Policy and Planning Division. This position is located in San Mateo, CA. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Grant management
- Accounting functions and leading year end close
- Contract management
- Supervision of staff members
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide direction, supervision, training, work review and/or evaluation to assigned professional and fiscal support on a project or ongoing basis.
- Provide input into selection decisions and disciplinary matters.
- Prepare and maintain control and subsidiary accounting records involving a variety of transactions and accounts; prepare trial balances and financial reports.
- Coordinate and calculate month-end and year-end closings.
- Prepare journal entries and periodic reconciliations of general ledger, journal, subsidiary accounts and bank statements.
- Compile and prepare financial statements, general and subsidiary ledgers and supporting schedule; maintain expenditure and budgetary control accounts.
- Review, analyze and adjust budgets for County funds.
- Maintain varied departmental cost accounting records, disbursing funds to various accounts and/or billings for reimbursement as required.
- Provide technical support to internal auditors and governmental program auditors.
- Apportion monies, including secured, unsecured, impounded, redeemed and other taxes.
- Review and claim for referral of tax, grant or other monies and prepare claims for reimbursement from various State or funding agencies and/or programs.
- Analyze programs and legislation to determine fiscal and budgetary impact; prepare budgetary appropriation transfers and supplemental budgets.
- Review and recommend modifications to accounting systems and procedures; upon approval, implement new or modified systems and procedures.
This is a limited term, at-will position.
- Experience with grants management
- Experience with daily accounting functions including year end close procedures.
- Experience working with contracts
- Ability to supervise staff
- Demonstrated skill in accounting functions
- Ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Limited Term Employees are assigned to assignments not to exceed three years. They receive medical and dental benefits, similar to regular employees, and a defined contribution retirement plan. Information for current County employees:
Current and regular San Mateo County Employees who are interested in this assignment must submit application materials and compete in the selection process. If you are successful in the selection process and are being considered for the assignment, HR will work directly with you and/or your department for options. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will be allowed by your department to rotate into this assignment nor are your departments obligated to allow you to take on this assignment. The salary range for this position is "as is" and non-negotiable.
This classification requires the successful completion of a minimum of twelve "semester
" units of college level accounting coursework.
If you are interested in being considered for this limited term position the following items must be submitted via e-mail:
- Cover letter with responses to Supplemental Questions (maximum of 2 pages)
- This classification requires the successful completion of a minimum of 12 "semester" units of college level accounting coursework. NOTE: If converting "quarter" units you must have 18. Provide the type of degree you possess in Accounting, OR you must list the specific course titles and number and type of units earned for each.
- Describe in detail your grant management experience.
- Describe in detail your accounting experience, specifically year end close.
- Describe in detail your work with contracts.
- Describe in detail your experience supervising staff members.
Please include the words " Senior Accountant-Public Health-Limited Term Position
" in the subject line of email submission. All submitted materials must be in a Word or PDF format.
Please submit the above listed materials via email to:
Norman Lau, Financial Services Manager I firstname.lastname@example.org
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received, and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. Apply immediately. Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. This posting is open on a continuous basis and selection may be made at any time within the process. NOTE
: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (cover letter with responses to supplemental questions and a resume) will not be considered. The County of San Mateo is a diverse, inclusive workplace, where employees are valued and respected for their different perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, and contributions. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.