***OPEN & PROMOTIONAL JOB OPPORTUNITY*** Systems and Programming Manager (GIS Manager)
The City of Concord is seeking a Systems and Programming Manager (GIS Manager) to fill one vacancy in the Information Technology Department to lead all aspects of the City's growing GIS Program. Concord desires an individual that can serve as the visionary to guide and sustain the future growth and development of the GIS Program. Understanding how GIS can be successfully deployed within a local government setting to improve business processes, and the ability to effectively plan, promote, and develop GIS business processes technologies is a key requirement for this position. In addition, Concord is looking for someone that possess highly advanced GIS skill sets (ESRI software suite) that can manage the ArcGIS Server environment, administer ArcSDE geodatabase's within a MS SQL environment, develop and deploy GIS web applications (to AGOL, Portal, other) using Web AppBuilder or similar development tools, and will seek to integrate GIS with other City business systems. Finally, Concord is in search of an individual that will work with all City departments to understand and promote their unique functional needs, will train their staff on the use of GIS technologies, and will continually promote the use of GIS throughout the organization. The future Systems and Programming Manager is someone who aspires to build and manage a high quality, functionally rich, easy to use, and sustainable Enterprise-wide GIS Program for the City of Concord.
Additionally, the Systems and Programming Manager
ideal candidate is someone who:
- Can establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Is skilled with creating and maintaining interactive on-line map applications;
- Can develop and lead formal and informal presentations with customers;
- Can build and monitor a GIS division's budget;
- Is passionate about customer service;
- Analyzes customer requests to identify the best possible solutions;
- Can train and coach other GIS users within the City;
- Is experienced with integrating spatial data with other enterprise applications;
- Is committed to staying current with GIS trends and technologies;
- Is experienced developing and implementation GIS strategic goals;
- Can manage and oversee the day to day GIS operations; and
- Embraces, promotes, and is guided by the City's Mission, Vision and Values
1. Submit a completed City of Concord application and the required supplemental questionnaire responses online at www.cityofconcord.org by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, May 14, 2021
. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
Please attach a copy of your resume when you apply online. You must complete the job application in its entirety in addition to the resume submission in order to be considered (i.e., do not indicate "see resume" on job application).
2. All qualified applications and supplemental questionnaire responses will be competitively evaluated, and those candidates demonstrating the strongest desired qualifications for the position will be invited to a virtual panel interview, which is currently scheduled for Tuesday, June 1, 2021.
If you are selected to participate in the panel interview process and are unavailable, we regret that we will not be able to reschedule you.
3. Successful candidates will be placed on the hiring list, based on rank, for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 months. IMPORTANT
: Contact with candidates will primarily be via email. Make sure you list a current email that you check regularly
on your application.
If you have any specific questions regarding the recruitment and selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (925) 671-3308.SYSTEMS AND PROGRAMMING MANAGERPurpose
Manages the delivery of high-quality, cost effective, reliable and accurate information systems by providing systems and programming services, including geographic information services, so that internal customers receive required information in a timely manner; performs related work as required all within the context of the City's Mission, Vision, Values Statement and a strong and progressive customer service orientation.Equipment, Methods & Guidelines
Uses federal, state, and local laws, regulations, policies, directives and procedures; vendor contracts; City vehicles, telephones, calculators; the internet, intranet, technical manuals, user documents; standard business software and computer systems.Working Conditions
Conducts work primarily in an office setting. Conditions may involve some travel and attendance at meetings, which are conducted during the evening. May also include occasional weekend work and irregular hours to meet deadlines, and achieve objectives.Physical Demands
Vision sufficient to read computer screens and operating manuals; must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with co-workers and internal customers, other government agencies, vendors and contractors, consultants, service providers, and the public; must have sufficient flexibility to attach wires and cables in confined spaces; and must be able to lift irregularly shaped objects such as CPUs, printers, weighing up to 40 pounds. Emphasizes speech, hearing, and vision.Supervisory Guidance Received/Given
Reports to the Information Technology Manager, receiving general administrative support and guidance in establishing program outcomes and specific objectives rather than direct control over methods; progress, results and project status is reviewed each trimester. Supervises professional and technical staff who, in turn, exercise some independence in their assignments; serves as acting division head in the absence of the Information Technology Manager.Allocation Factors/Distinctions
Managerial classification. Examples of duties include, but are not limited to:
Qualifications: Knowledge and Abilities
- Assists Customer Service Manager in preparing and administering the Client Server/GIS budget for operations.
- Supervises and coordinates training for assigned staff and ensures smooth work flow and high productivity through proper staffing of trained subordinates; applies City and departmental policies, procedures, and rules pertaining to work and the work group. Assesses performance and prepares performance appraisals; initiates official disciplinary action as necessary; identifies and/or resolves subordinate complaints.
- Determines priorities, methods, standards, and sequences of work necessary to achieve objectives; assigns personnel in accordance with priority and need. Coordinates work schedules to provide for adequate coverage on all shifts; prepares and approves vacation, leave, and overtime schedules. Supervises and performs activities related to systems analysis and programming and GIS operations; assures the development, procurement, and/or adaptation of applications programs to meet users' needs; monitors programs to assure proper operations.
- Serves as supervisor and backup to database administrator who: designs, develops, modifies, and deletes databases, tables, columns, indexes, stored procedures and triggers; monitors and adjusts disk storage space as required; deletes unnecessary files; issues/revokes passwords; schedules backups.
- Confers with departments to determine system functions and desired results; analyzes departments' system and program problems and changes in requirements; identifies and recommends modifications.
- Develops, interprets, and implements policies, procedures, and section directives; informs and trains users regarding the features, functions, and capabilities of programs and reports.
- Oversees a technical support station, which receives, logs, and responds to service, maintenance, and/or assistance requests regarding programs, reports, or computer systems.
- Supports the preparation of RFP packages for systems analysis and programming, and related equipment, devices, and services; negotiates and administers contracts; coordinates maintenance and repairs; reconciles and approves invoices for payment.
- Attends a variety of meetings; conducts special projects.
- Promotes the City's Mission to make Concord a city of the highest quality by providing responsive, cost-effective, and innovative government services; understands and subscribes to the Vision and Values Statement adopted by the City.
Knowledge of patterns and trends associated with database design and administration, application programming design, development, and procurement, system administration, and use of a structured query language (SQL).
Ability to design, develop, and maintain business applications and SQL databases; to develop and implement directives, policies, and procedures; to analyze user needs and develop automated solutions; to communicate effectively with City staff, contractors, service providers, consultants, and the public; to negotiate and administer contracts; to provide supervision and coordinate the work of other professionals; to collect and analyze information, and to draw valid conclusions; to understand, interpret, and apply appropriate rules, regulations, and procedures; to plan, organize, and review the work of subordinates; to communicate effectively, orally and in writing; and to establish and maintain cooperative and effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work. Education/Experience Education:
Possession of a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or a related field.Experience:
Five years of increasingly responsible experience in system administration, computer applications, and database administration. Other:
A California Driver's License and a satisfactory driving record are conditions of initial and continued employment.
Closing Date/Time: Fri. 05/14/21 5:00 PM Pacific Time