Job Summary Mohave County Library is currently recruiting for the position of Library Director located in Kingman, AZ. Relocating? Explore all that Mohave County has to offer at: http://www.mohavedevelopment.org/liveandplay/live-play/ For additional information, please click on the following link: Library Director Brochure
the Human Resources Office at (928)753-0736 Ext. 4490
Performs professional and administrative work in planning, organizing and directing the activities of the Library District. REPORTS TO:
Work is performed under general administrative direction of the County Manager. The employee is expected to exercise independent judgment and discretion. Work is reviewed through performance appraisal and results achieved. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
Supervision is exercised directly, or through subordinate managers and supervisors, over a staff of managerial, professional, and clerical/technician/paraprofessionals.Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, and directs the programs and activities of the Library District; establishes policies, procedures and guidelines to be observed by department personnel.
- Provides administrative leadership and direction for the Department.
- Manages the preparation of a tentative budget for the department and divisions by predicting the funds needed for staffing, equipment, and materials and monitoring and administering the expenditures for allotted funds to strive for the most effective use of funds.
- Institutes programs to maintain the quality and improve efficiency of programs within the Department.
- Provides professional advice and support to the Mohave County Board of Supervisors on provision of the library administration and services matters; personally or through subordinates, provides professional staff advice on provision of library administration and services matters to the various community groups, commissions, boards, or other administrative groups as directed by the County Manager.
- Establishes and maintains a liaison function with other County departments, commissions and boards, and other library agencies at local, state, and federal levels to assure the achievement of the highest level of effective administration, coordination and participation, maintenance and review of programs and activities. Serves on committees, boards and commissions as requested.
- Promotes public understanding of the library administration and services programs, activities and policies through presentations to public and representative community groups and through news releases to the media.
- Attends meetings of professional societies and speaks before professional and civic organizations on varied library administration and services programs.
- Makes oral and written presentations to the Board of Supervisors and various committees, boards and the public.
- Compiles, reviews and analyzes data and prepares reports and statistical data relating to operations and program performance. Prepares administrative recommendations.
- Identifies and resolves administrative and operational problems and implements methods and procedures to improve performance and economy.
- Manages library services at multiple locations.
- Directs the development, repair and maintenance of library buildings.
- Researches, develops and implements programs and projects utilizing appropriate methods for improved services.
- Develops and administers the department's budget in accordance with program goals and objectives.
- Develops and implements long and short-range goals and objectives for department and its divisions.
- Forecasts for future liabilities and directs activities of staff to plan for the same.
- Researches, applies for and manages grants from private, state and federal organizations.
- Coordinates departmental activities with other departments, local and state jurisdictions and federal agencies.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited School of Library Science.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in library administration and services with at least two (2) years at a supervisory/managerial level, managing two (2) or more library facilities of significant size simultaneously.
- OR any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Principles and practices of library operation including administration, personnel and facility management and library system organization and functions as applied to public library service programs and systems.
- Budgetary and financial procedures.
- Federal, state and private grant opportunities.
- Current trends in and principles and practices of providing library administration and services particularly in the areas of public service, research (automated and manual), technical services, and out-reach services.
- Local, State and Federal regulations and laws pertaining to public library services administration and the provision of library services to the public.
- Computing literacy involving on-line and automated systems and microcomputers and related peripheral equipment utilized in the provision of library services.
- Library administration and services records systems including data processing applications.
- Principles of management, supervision, training, and staff utilization.
- Department policies, rules and procedures.
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
- Utilizing computer systems and applications to include on-line and automated systems and microcomputers and related peripheral equipment in the performance of work assignments including the utilization of databases, Internet, electronic spreadsheets, word processing, presentations and graphics software and capabilities.
- Communicating and maintaining professionalism with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Develop and maintain a coordinated and comprehensive library administration and programs to provide library services.
- Plan and direct the activities of multiple departments or divisions.
- Plan, organize, utilize and manage personnel and activities within prescribed budgetary requirements and established policies.
- Effectively plan for and implement system improvements in method, organization, procedure and administration.
- Resolve major library administration and services problems as they arise, respond with resourcefulness to new or trying situations, and adjust to frustrations and constraints.
- Identify and resolve administrative, operational, procedural and personnel problems.
- Perform special studies involving extensive research and prepare clear and concise oral and written reports and presentations.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing with individuals and groups of diverse ethnic, educational and economic backgrounds and at all levels of government, management and society.
- Maintain objectivity and freedom from prejudice, and exercise judgment and understanding in all library administrative, services and program matters.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associate personnel, County officials, management and legal staff, intergovernmental and community agency individuals and groups, other county departments and agencies, and the general public.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.