Working Title Senior Director of Accounting Services (Admin. II)
Classification Title Administrator II
Under the general direction of the Associate Vice President (AVP) for Financial Services, the Senior Director of Accounting Services is responsible for managing the University's and the University Foundation at Sacramento State's (UFSS) financial records through the direction of the Accounting Services department. The incumbent is primarily responsible for the accuracy of all University and UFSS financial records, the timeliness of financial transactions, response to financial audits, and preparation of financial reports and the appropriate operation of the Accounting Services department. The incumbent is responsible for the coordination of all Financial Advisory Services including meeting with University administration, coordinating training and support and reporting outcomes to the Associate Vice President and CFO. The incumbent manages the Tax & Compliance Specialist to accomplish the tax reporting and policy administration requirements of the University and UFSS.
FLSA MPP - This position is defined in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. It is excluded from the collective bargaining process and is exempt from overtime provisions of FLSA. This position is covered by health benefits.
Classification Salary Range
Hiring Range $9,500 to $10,417 monthly
Salary Grade/Range 1
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent? No
Regular or Temporary Regular
Full Time or Part Time Full Time
Pay Plan 12
Work Hours Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm, additional hours as needed. A combination of on-site and remote work required for the duration of COVID-19 campus work restrictions, subject to change at the discretion of management.
Accounting Services is responsible for Sacramento State's financial record keeping, ensuring that the University operates in compliance with standard accounting and regulatory practices.
The staff processes comprehensive, accurate and timely financial information for reporting and management decision making, and conducts financial transactions such as expenditure transfers, chargebacks, cost recovery, and assignment of General Ledger chart strings.
More information available here: https://www.csus.edu/administration-business-affairs/financial-services/accounting.html
1. Equivalent to a bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field OR a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities
2. A minimum of five years of progressive work experience in the fields of Accounting or Financial Services
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
3. Must have ability to interpret and apply GASB & GAAP standards, pronouncements, principles and policies.
4. Must be able to work independently, be self motivated, highly productive and a problem solver.
5. Requires the ability to change priorities when needed and meet overlapping deadlines.
6. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
7. Ability to interpret and apply federal, state, and local laws; and, organizational policies and procedures associated with accounting processes.
8. Experience working with external auditors and resolving any audit findings identified.
9. Experience with enterprise financial databases and the ability to query financial data.
10. Excellent Microsoft Excel skills; including the ability leverage Excel to provide work efficiencies.
11. Ability to analyze data, and develop and maintain complex statistical and management reports in support of accounting functions.
12. Ability to provide functional leadership related to system implementations, interfaces and upgrades to a computerized financial system.
13. Excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively with the University community and people from diverse backgrounds.
14. Experience managing professional financial staff.
15. Experience with additional Microsoft Office products including Word, PowerPoint, Outlook Calendar and Email. Also, experience with printers, copiers and calculators.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- A background check must be satisfactorily completed post-conditional offer.
1. Bachelor degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or a closely related field.
2. Advanced certification/degree such as, CPA, CMA or MBA.
3. Must have ability to interpret and apply State Controller's Office (SCO) and California State University (CSU) Chancellor's Office, and/or University standards, pronouncements, principles and policies.
4. A minimum of five years of progressive work experience in the fields of Accounting or Financial Services in the California State University system.
5. Knowledge of CSU business processes within the following areas: General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Procurement, Billing and Receivable, Asset Management, Cashiering, Student Financials, Tax, Financial Compliance and Data Warehouse.
6. Experience managing in a unionized environment.
Is Background Check Required Yes
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S..
Hiring Preference Not Applicable
Conflict of Interest
The duties of this position include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, an on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter.
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit https://www.csus.edu/diversity-inclusion/office-inclusive-excellence/equal-opportunity.html.
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit https://www.csus.edu/diversity-inclusion/office-inclusive-excellence/equal-opportunity.html.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the current Annual Security Report (ASR) is available for viewing at https://www.csus.edu/clery. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery Act crimes for Sacramento State for the last three (3) calendar years. Paper copies are available upon request at the Police Service Center located in the University Union.
Posting Number AS0865P
Number of Vacancies 1
Open Date 03/19/2021
Open Until Filled Yes
Priority Application Deadline 04/18/2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
Recruitment is open until filled. Priority application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, April 18, 2021.
A combination of on-site and remote work required for the duration of COVID-19 campus work restrictions, subject to change at the discretion of management.
Regarding the required diversity statement to be uploaded to the online application:
Excerpt from the Office in Inclusive Excellence website:
One of Sacramento State's imperatives is a commitment to diversity and inclusion and ensuring that our campus is a welcoming and inclusive place for all of our students, faculty, staff, and community members. Our commitment is more than simply ensuring that our campus is free from bias and discrimination, but is one devoted to the celebration of the many facets of our identities and the richness of a community with diverse life experiences and perspectives.
Please provide approximately 500 words answering the question below.
After reading about the University's commitment to diversity and inclusion, what would be your role in supporting that commitment?
Regarding the optional proof of licensure document: Please upload evidence of CPA or other professional license you may possess.
Contact Name Employment Services
Contact Phone 916-278-6326
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed To Apply
Letter of Recommendation
Proof of Licensure
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled