Safely performs journeyman level tasks in the fabrication, construction, maintenance, alteration and repair of fixtures, equipment, structures, buildings, and built-in components for Texas Tech facilities. Works under general supervision with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Constructs, installs, and repairs cabinets, shelves, doors, windows, walls, acoustical ceilings, door and window facings, wood and glass paneling, floor covering, roofing, ceramic tile and similar items.
- Makes alterations to existing structures by installing or removing walls, partitions, and similar construction.
- Preps walls for texture and paint and applies new texture and paint to prepped surfaces.
- Operates planers, band saws, hand power saws, hand power drills, sanding machines, paint tinting machines and uses other tools of the trade.
- Initiates work orders through Work Control for any building systems that are found to be deficient.
- Carries out oral and written instructions to perform related work as directed or required by direct supervisor.
- Secures necessary supplies and materials from Stores as required for completion of work orders and required tasks and/or directives.
- Documents and records work accomplished, time expended and parts used on appropriate forms and in the CMMS Work Control system.
- Performs on-call duties as essential personnel of the Institution and at the direction of the Institution and Supervisors.
- Performs any and all duties deemed necessary and assigned by any supervisory level Facilities Operations personnel.
- Must have and maintain valid State of Texas Driver's License to be able to operate State vehicles to run errands and pick up parts.
Proficiency in written and mathematical skills as may be reflected in the completion of high school or equivalent. Three years experience in designated trade or licensed journeyman.
Must have good manual dexterity. Must be in good physical condition. Must have a working knowledge of tools, materials, methods and practices of building maintenance and light construction associated with the trade. Working knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions related to maintenance and light construction. Needs basic computer skills as they relate to entry of time, a work order system and email. Ability to take directions and work from blue prints or sketches. Must be able to perform tasks by following Operating and maintenance manuals, schematics and departmental procedures. Needs a working knowledge of troubleshooting as it relates to various building systems. Prefer two years experience in carpentry and/or painting.
Professional/Personal Reference, Recommendation/Referral, Other Documents Supporting Qualifications
Compensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage.
As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant's race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.