The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library at San José State University is recognized as an innovative shared facility combining a large academic library (with a collection of over one million items) and a major downtown public library. The SJSU Library brings people, ideas, and information together through its spaces, resources, and expertise to facilitate community building, innovation, and knowledge creation. The Library strives to provide student-centered learning experiences that promote critical thinking skills and lifelong learning in an inclusive and welcoming environment.
This position is an excellent opportunity for librarians interested in gaining experience at a teaching-centered institution that is a national leader in graduating historically underserved students. SJSU has been ranked #1 in increasing student upward mobility, particularly among underrepresented, first-generation, and Pell-qualified students.
Title: STEM Librarian
Position and Rank: Senior Assistant Librarian (Temporary)
• ALA-accredited Master's degree.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and experience using print and electronic library resources and services in a library setting.
• Ability to work collaboratively with other librarians, professional staff, teaching faculty, and students in an evolving organization and rapidly changing information environment.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
• Awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population.
• One-year experience working in a library setting.
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM)-related area or equivalent work experience.
• Familiarity with STEM information resources and databases and experience in providing instruction in their use.
Description of Duties:
• Provide general and STEM-specific reference and research services at service points and through online tools.
• Teach STEM-related information literacy sessions for classes and groups for assigned department areas.
• Perform collection management activities such as selection and evaluation.
• Develop and maintain online resources and bibliographic guides.
• Collaborate with colleagues to develop quality, discipline-appropriate services in the areas of scholarly communications, open educational resources, and outreach.
• Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity - in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation - through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
Please be advised that an appointment is contingent upon budget and enrollment considerations and subject to order of assignment provisions in the collective bargaining agreement between California State University and California Faculty Association. These provisions state the "Order of Work," or the order in which available courses must be assigned to faculty, starting with tenure line faculty and ending with new lecturer appointees.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
• Cover letter expressing qualifications and relevant experiences,
• A resume/CV of academic preparation, experience, and qualifications,
• The names, telephone numbers, and organization of 3 professional references
For full consideration, applications must be received by March 17, 2021. If selected for an interview, applicants will be asked to provide original transcripts and three original letters of recommendation. Applicants who are not selected will be notified via email. Please contact the SJSU Library Human Resources Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked third nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California's oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley's public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
San Jose, California