Description:Job Summary *Note: this position resides in Moss Landing, CA.*
This position provides primary desktop computing, network, server, storage, and other Information Technology support to the Moss Landing Marine Lab (MLML).
The System and Information Technology Consultant will establish and maintain working relationships with customers, recommend changes to improve productivity and services, identify and remediate problems, develop practices and procedures and perform highly technical work in support of departmental and campus IT operations.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Provide technical support to customers, answer tech support calls and route trouble tickets to appropriate techs or other departments. Solve computer related issues, field technical questions and provide customer service support to end-users.
- Train and support users on hardware, software, network connectivity, and use of other IT services.
- Troubleshoot applications, file services, operating systems and other technologies.
- Assist users with installing and troubleshooting printers, plotters, copiers, scanners, mobile devises and other application technologies.
- Ensure systems and devices are properly connected and configured to operate within SJSU standards and best practices.
- Upgrade, update and patch software and operating systems, as necessary.
- Support G-suites, Active Directory users, passwords, security groups and file shares.
- Support specialized applications for academics, administration and research, as needed.
- Support and train users on academic technology, software and equipment.
- Manage IT asset inventory, check-out, assist with check-out of assets to end users and train users on the use of the equipment.
- Recommend new technologies and procedures for users to improve work flows and enhance productivity (i.e. SaaS and web-based tools, file shares, workstation setup, software utilities, etc.).
- Install and configure operating systems, Active Directory, Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Suite, and other specialized administrative, academic, and research-related applications.
- Install and configure new applications in accordance with SJSU IT policies and best practices.
- Install, configure, and update computer virus protection, patch management, and other security software packages.
- Utilize workstation imaging solutions to create, maintain, and deploy standardized operating system images consistent workstation experiences across each department.
- Configure, repair, and refresh desktop and laptop computers used by staff and faculty.
- Assist departments with support of specialized systems, instrumentation, and related software.
- Replace and upgrade malfunctioning or outdated computer components and peripherals.
- Install and configure new components (memory, storage, expansion cards, peripherals, etc.).
- Assist with installation of servers, storage, UPSs, and network equipment and cabling.
- Analyze computer system configurations and determine if additional components are required.
- Support A/V systems (i.e. specialized audio and video playback systems, projectors, MPUs, microscope cameras, etc.).
- Track inventory of all workstations, laptops, tablets, mobile devices and other IT assets.
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrated technical proficiency in Microsoft Windows based workstations and server management (i.e. file sharing and print servers).
- Knowledge of alternative operating systems (MacOS, Linux, Unix)
- Comprehensive knowledge of operating systems, Active Directory, Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, databases, and other office productivity technologies.
- Ability to think critically and analytically, analyze technical problems utilizing problem solving techniques, interpret and evaluate results, and develop recommendations and solutions understanding impact and implication of alternative solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to operate workstation imaging solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to train technical and non-technical users on applications and hardware and new technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively provide end users with effective solutions by gathering requirements and making technical recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and direct work on assigned projects, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective customer service relationships.
- Ability to disassemble, repair, and replace internal computer components.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing environment and new technologies.
- Ability to plan, organize and maintain inventory of all systems and other IT assets.
- Strong communications, interpersonal skill and ability to manage projects.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study
- Three years of experience supporting information systems and technology
- Experience troubleshooting computer hardware and peripherals
- Experience developing documentation for end-users
- Experience using a ticketing system for logging service requests and documenting outcomes
- Four years' experience providing computer and software technical support and training
Classification: Information Technology Consultant - Career
Hiring Range: $4,372/month - $10,792/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: March 8, 2021 through March 22, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.Contact Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled