Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field to Business, Engineering, Architecture, Real Estate or related field, plus four (4) years of related experience in facility maintenance or management, including two (2) years of experience which were in a management capacity.
- Graduation with a Master's Degree from an accredited college or university in Business, Engineering, Architecture, Real Estate, or related field may substitute for non-management experience up to a maximum of one (1) year.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants
- Any required licenses or certifications.
- Requires a valid driver license.
The City of Austin is seeking a highly qualified individual to fill the Building Services Deputy Officer position which reports to the Officer of Building Services.
The next Building Services Deputy Officer will have several exciting challenges to address and areas of opportunity in which to excel. Among these is the need to drive the department's culture and promote growth. The successful candidate will be instrumental in leading the department's programs for security, project management, contracts, and quality control/assurance. Click here
to view or download a brochure that details this exciting opportunity.
To ensure consideration, candidates should apply by April 11, 2021. To apply, candidates must complete this online application. Interested candidates should apply early in the process for optimum consideration. This posting will remain open until filled.
Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities and more. Please click HERE
for more information.
When completing a City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job titles and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A resume is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution and proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation ( CBI ).
This position requires a valid driver license or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin's Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE )
requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Pay Range
Monday - Friday (Hours may vary depending upon business needs) Job Close Date Type of Posting
Building Services Regular/Temporary
Regular Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
411 Chicon, Austin, Texas Preferred Qualifications
The ideal candidate for the role of Building Services Deputy Officer is someone who can effectively inspire, lead, direct, oversee, and guide the day-to-day operations of security, project management, contracts, and quality control/assurance.
Preferred qualifications include:
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
- Experience with facility management in Texas
- Experience overseeing security, project management, contracts, and quality control/assurance programs
- Demonstrated experience driving culture and promoting growth
- Demonstrated experience performing data analysis to increase productivity
- Exceptional communication, collaboration, and political savvy skills
- Ability to create, nurture, and lead teams to be successful
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Assists with managing the maintenance and operations of City of Austin facilities and property, by managing multiple sections, work groups, or services areas; coordinating activities with other sections, divisions, departments or outside agencies; and providing complex administrative support to the Building Services Officer.
Develops, reviews and utilizes data collection and metrics to establish service and staffing levels and productivity data points for effectiveness and efficiencies of service delivery methods and procedures in daily operations.
Participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for assigned service areas, programs and operations; recommends and administers policies and procedures, monitors outcomes, and recommends procedural and operational changes.
Develops audit practices for quality control analysis for facility infrastructure issues and needs.
Oversees and administers the daily operations of assigned service areas, programs and areas of operation.
Participates in the development and administration of Building Services annual budget, participates in the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitors and approves expenditures and implements adjustments.
Oversees the activities for safety programs for assigned divisions and workgroups and oversees the planning for safety programs and activities and ensures compliance with safety and environmental requirements.
Manages and provides customer service to internal and external customers and responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
Assists with development and monitoring of operations and maintenance, capital budgets and responds to deviations from cost/timeline projections. Provides financial managerial reports as required.
Assists with development and implementation of Building Services business plans in alignment with City of Austin business and strategic plans, initiatives and objectives.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling and recommendation for dismissal. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation
- Knowledge of municipal asset utilization and regulatory and legislative issues.
- Knowledge of building maintenance, practices, issues, and policies.
- Knowledge of real estate management processes, practices, issues, and policies.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and methods.
- Knowledge of City practices, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of fiscal planning and budget preparation.
- Knowledge of the concepts of equity, including experience in applying equity frameworks to established laws, ordinances, and long-standing practices.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning an organizing.
- Ability to use an equity lens and framework to create inclusive, diverse, and safe workplaces and community programs.
- Ability to manage diversity, understand inclusion, and work with diverse communities or populations to build constructive and effective relationships.
- Ability to structure a complex organization to meet changing environments.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
- Ability to quickly recognize, analyze, and respond to irregular events and emergencies.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445. Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications for the Building Services Deputy Officer position are: Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field to Business, Engineering, Architecture, Real Estate or related field, plus four (4) years of related experience in facility maintenance or management, including two (2) years of experience which were in a management capacity. Graduation with a Master's Degree from an accredited college or university in Business, Engineering, Architecture, Real Estate, or related field may substitute for non-management experience up to a maximum of one (1) year. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
* If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to a criminal background investigation?
* This position requires a Valid Driver License. Do you have a Valid Driver License or if selected for this position, do you have the ability to acquire a Valid Driver License by your hire date?
* The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that External New Hires meet the City's Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
* Please briefly describe your experience with facility management.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience overseeing security, project management, contracts, and quality control/assurance programs.
(Open Ended Question)
* Please describe your experience performing data analysis to increase productivity.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents