Description:Position SummarySkilled Plumber
- Under general supervision, incumbent performs the full range of skilled plumbing work including the installation, maintenance, inspection, modification, remodel and repair of mechanical plumbing equipment and fixtures for water, gas, oil, steam, sewage, fire sprinkler/prevention, and refrigeration-related plumbing systems, including automated plumbing systems. Work includes the installation of plumbing fixtures and piping in new construction and remodel projects and the maintenance and repair of existing plumbing fixtures and piping including restroom and laboratory fixtures, fire sprinkler systems and associated piping. Incumbent repairs existing and installs new appliances (water heaters, garbage disposals, kitchen ranges, drinking fountains, dish wasters, washing machines, forced air furnaces, etc.)Objectives
- Provide an "Industry Best Practice" preventive maintenance organization to the San Diego State University community. Properly installed, maintained and repaired plumbing fixtures and systems.Expectations
- Provide a thorough and accurate accounting of time and materials. Complete all routine work assignments and perform all additional duties as assigned. Incumbent maintains equipment and a safe and clean working environment. Consistent meeting of university needs in a timely and professional manner with increasingly improved skill. Follow-up on every project or task to ensure that all items are completed to the satisfaction of the FS Associate Director. Maintains a responsible attendance record, punctuality and consistent meeting of deadlines. Builds and maintains internal and external customer satisfaction with the products and services offered by the organization. Seeks feedback, is responsive to stakeholders and takes appropriate action for the situation.
Performs work in a manner that supports and facilitates the work of others in Facilities Services and the university community. Maintains a positive and cooperative working relationship with members of the department and campus community by practicing individual dignity, using tact and diplomacy, and always being respectful and civil. Utilizes respectful communication when dealing with people in all situations; demonstrating restraint, fairness and firmness. Works effectively to understand by carefully listening and working to be understood. Demonstrates restraint, fairness and firmness with all people in all situations.
Must be able to effectively communicate and successfully interact with a variety of individuals in a diverse environment at all levels of the organization. Ability to maintain confidentiality and work appropriately within the department hierarchy. Communicates effectively to resolve problems and proactively resolve conflicts or disagreements in the workplace, makes suggestions and ask pertinent questions to facilitate effective communication.
Must be able to perform strenuous physical work while using mechanical aptitude and motor coordination. Ability to implement safety procedures, resolve problems and improve safety in the workplace. Works to instill in others the importance of workplace safety rules and regulations and takes appropriate actions. Ability to conduct hazard assessments, address hazards appropriately and apply controls as appropriate to address/mitigate hazards; promptly follow-up on health and safety risks, taking appropriate action(s) and provides necessary reports and documentation.
For more information regarding the Facilities Services department, click here
This is a full-time (1.0 time-base), benefits eligible, permanent (probationary) position. This position is designated non-exempt under FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation. Standard work hours are Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., but may vary based on operational needs.Education and Experience
A combination of progressively responsible training and experience which demonstrates achievement of journey-level skills equivalent to that acquired through completion of a standard plumber's apprenticeship program.License/Certification Required
California Driver's License is required.Preferred Qualifications
Compensation and Benefits
- Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester Certification
- Experience working in a higher education, military or a large multi-building facility environment
- Experience working in a union environment
Starting salary upon appointment not expected to exceed $6,148 per month. CSU Classification Salary Range: $5,742 - $7,414 per month. Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
San Diego State University offers a rich benefits package that constitutes a major portion of total compensation. For more information regarding SDSU benefits, please click here
Initial review of the required application materials, including cover letters and resumes, will begin on March 11, 2021. To receive full consideration, apply by March 10, 2021. The position will remain open until filled.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
San Diego State University is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (e.g., H-1B visa). Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Offers of employment are contingent upon the presentation of documents that demonstrate a person's identity and authorization to work in the United States, which are consistent with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click here
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities and applicants who require assistance completing an application may contact Meracle Cothron at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled