Working Title Gardening Specialist
Classification Title Gardening Specialist
Under general supervision of the Manager of Grounds and Landscape Services, the Gardening Specialist performs a combination of specialized work in an assigned area which encompasses irrigation repair and maintenance work, pest and weed control, tree maintenance, athletic turf maintenance, and maintenance of gardening power equipment. The incumbent will also make recommendations for the planning and development of special planting areas including soil amendments, irrigation, and plant selection.
FLSA Non-Exempt - This position is covered by health benefits, and is non-exempt, (eligible for overtime compensation) according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Classification Salary Range
Hiring Range $2,990-$3,467 monthly
Salary Grade/Range 1
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent? No
Regular or Temporary Regular
Full Time or Part Time Full Time
Pay Plan 12
Work Hours Tuesday-Saturday - 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Administration & Business Affairs at Sacramento State is one of the University's chief support divisions, providing integrated and comprehensive administrative, business, financial, operational and logistical support services to students, faculty and staff.
In addition, ABA encompasses planning, operation and maintenance services for the campus facilities and environment, which includes major responsibility for capital construction projects, as well as police and safety services for the campus community.
Thorough knowledge of the methods, plants, tools and equipment used in planting, cultivating and caring for flowers, shrubs, lawns and trees. General knowledge of the composition and structure of soil, Ph factors of soils, compatibility and incompatibility factors between soil and plants, difference between plant mixes, and erosion control.
Ability to identify, diagnose and treat plant disease, and correct plant nutrient deficiencies; prepare freehand sketches and make recommendations for possible improvements in landscaping within the assigned area; read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position; and follow oral and written instructions.
Two years of experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped areas or general grounds, one year of which shall have been in either the maintenance, repair or modification of irrigation systems, specialized pest and/or spray control work, or cultivation and care of nursery plants.
Possession of the appropriate California Department of Pesticide Regulation license to perform pest control work. Some positions may require possession of a valid California driver's license.
1. Experience performing specialized pest and/or spray control work (e.g. weeds, fungi).
2. Knowledge of installation and programming automatic irrigation controllers.
3. Thorough knowledge of athletic and general turf maintenance.
4. Ability to perform standard and specialized pruning of trees, shrubs and other plants as needed.
5. Ability to perform maintenance, repair or modification of irrigation systems.
6. Ability to operate and perform maintenance on small power-operated power mowers, small riding mowers, and other gardening power equipment.
7. Effective communication skills.
8. Effective interpersonal skills.
9. Excellent customer service skills.
10. Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a diverse environment.
11. Ability to use computerized maintenance systems.
12. Must have Current Qualified Applicators Certificate (QAC) for pest and weed control related to landscape maintenance.
13. Possession of a valid driver's license and good driving record.
14. Ability to frequently lift and carry gardening equipment up to 50 lbs.
Conditions of Employment:
15. Ability to pass a background check.
16. Ability to provide lead work direction to students, Groundsworkers or individuals in other grounds classifications.
17. Ability to provide advice and assistance to others regarding proper care of flowers and ornamental plants, pruning, athletic field maintenance, and other technical skills.
18. Experience establishing and maintaining preventative maintenance programs using computerized systems.
Ability to frequently lift and carry gardening equipment up to 50 lbs.
Current Qualified Applicators Certificate (QAC) for pest and weed control related to landscape maintenance.
Possession of a valid California driver's license and good driving record.
Is Background Check Required Yes
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S..
Hiring Preference Eligible on-campus applicants in California State University Employees Union (CSUEU) Bargaining Units 2, 5, 7, and 9 will be given first consideration in the recruitment.
Conflict of Interest
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/index.html.
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/Information%20for%20Job%20Applicants.html.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification. For additional information, visit http://www.csus.edu/aba/police/.
Posting Number AS0855P
Number of Vacancies 1
Open Date 02/22/2021
Open Until Filled Yes
Priority Application Deadline 03/08/2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
This recruitment is open until filled. Priority application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Monday, March 8, 2021.
Recruitment updated from 1 position to 2 positions on 2/26/21.
"Proof of licensure" in required documents section of the application refers to Qualified Applicators Certificate (QAC) and valid California Driver's License. Both licenses must be uploaded together as a single document.
Contact Name Employment Services
Contact Phone 916-278-6326
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Do you have at least two years of experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped areas or general grounds, one year of which has been in either the maintenance, repair or modification of irrigation systems; specialized pest and/or spray control work; or cultivation and care of nursery plants?
* Do you possess a current Qualified Applicators Certificate (QAC) for pest and weed control related to landscape maintenance?
* Do you possess a valid California Driver's License?
* This position requires the ability to frequently lift and carry gardening equipment up to 50 lbs. Can you meet this requirement, with or without accommodations?
Documents Needed To Apply
Proof of Licensure
Letter of Recommendation
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled