(Map Check & Right-of-Way Services)
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 2.5% increase
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following date:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 1.2% decrease
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization. THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This recruitment is being held to establish an open eligible list to fill current and future openings for Surveyor III positions. The resulting list may also be utilized to fill lower level classifications within the same occupational series.
This recruitment will be open for a minimum of five (5) business days and remain open on a continuous basis until the needs of the County have been met. Please be advised this recruitment may close at any time. It is recommended that qualified candidates apply immediately.OC PUBLIC WORKS
OC Public Works provides services on a regional basis to unincorporated areas, to cities, and to other County agencies and departments. The primary mission of the department is to protect and enrich the community through efficient delivery and maintenance of public works infrastructure, planning, and development services. OC Public Works core values are integrity, accountability, service and trust. The Department currently has a workforce in excess of 950 positions.
Click here for more information about OC Public Works
Click here for more information about County of Orange
OC Survey provides innovative surveying and mapping services that support the public's land-use needs and the design and construction of projects throughout the County. The Surveyor III acts in a lead capacity and performs our most complex surveying tasks. This includes, but is not limited to, map preparation, boundary analysis, researching historical and official records, and providing resolution to boundary issues and discrepancies.
The job duties include but are not limited to:
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
- Under supervision, serve as a project manager planning and coordinating the necessary efforts to bring map check projects to completion
- Prepare and review complex legal descriptions and maps using Computer Aided Drafting (CAD)
- Use coordinate geometry software to calculate areas, closures and complex calculations
- Independently corresponds, in writing and verbally, with Senior Land Surveyor on map check reviews
- Analyze and interpret complex survey data, title report information and legal descriptions prepared by outside parties.
The ideal candidate is an surveyor with extensive experience and training directly related to office surveying, including map checking, boundary analysis and right-of-way issues. Candidates should possess direct experience with the techniques and concepts of complex office surveying. Extensive training and/or education, such as a surveying certificate/degree or apprenticeship is a plus.
In addition to the minimum qualifications, the successful candidate will possess the following core competencies:TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Principles and practices of land surveying, including boundary determination, legal descriptions, construction and mapping.
- Civil engineering plans and drawings, maps, specifications, legal descriptions, survey field data and records related to surveying.
- Principles of algebra, geometry and trigonometry as used in office and field survey analysis.
- Civil 3D, Trimble Business Center, and Carlson software to produce topographic maps and volume reports.
- Research methods, historical precedent, and trends in the industry that impact map checking and boundary analysis.
- Starnet or equivalent least squares software for processing and analysis.
- Creating and maintaining styles and templates in software platforms for standardization.
ANALYSIS & PROBLEM SOLVING
- Providing guidance, training and direction to subordinate employees
- Fostering a team atmosphere and reward collaboration
- Direct, review and evaluate the performance of assigned employees
- Effectively motivate others to promote productivity and efficiency
COMMUNICATION & COLLABORATION
- Ability to perform difficult and complex survey calculations and precise engineering measurements
- Perform data analysis using the principles of algebra, geometry, trigonometry
- Ability to recognize potential issues and take effective corrective action
- Demonstrate excellent judgment skills when analyzing the scope of projects and determining resources
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with engineers, developers, contractors
- Ability to convey project expectations and findings to others in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to compose and prepare complex technical reports and correspondence
- Ability to make detailed notes on field data and accurately compile data for survey reports
- Provide clear instruction and training to junior staff
Click here to view the complete classification description for SURVEYOR III
Veterans Employment Preference
- Possession of a valid LAND SURVEYOR IN TRAINING (LSIT) or ENGINEER IN TRAINING (EIT) certificate issued by the California Board of Registration for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors and Geologists is required within one year of appointment. Incumbents in this position that hold an active California Professional Land Surveyors license (PLS) will receive an additional $1.50 per hour after license verification and management approval. Approval depends on whether the assignment utilizes the PLS.
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy. RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services screens all application materials for minimum and desirable qualifications. After screening, candidates who meet the minimum and desirable qualifications will be referred to the next step in the recruitment process. All candidates will be notified via email of their status in the process.Application Appraisal Panel (Pass/Fail):
The applications submitted will be reviewed and scored by a panel of subject matter experts. Be sure to answer all supplemental questions completely and ensure that any licenses/certifications are attached.Structured Oral Interview (Weighted 100%):
Candidates will be interviewed and rated by a panel of job knowledge experts. Only the most successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure. Completion of a background investigation to the satisfaction of the County may be required for some assignments.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS :
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.Questions?
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Zachary Gutierrez
at (714) 667-1623 or Zachary.Gutierrez@ocpw.ocgov.com.
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous