At CSUN we aspire to continually grow as an inclusive, cooperative community!
CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. As a leader you will have the opportunity to thrive in a community in which our leaders share common traits as identified in our Leadership Principles https://www.csun.edu/leadership-principles . If this sounds like you, you've come to the right place.
The Associate Vice President (AVP) reports to the Vice President for Administration and Finance and CFO and is responsible for the integrity of all financial systems and processes relating to business activities of the university. Oversees Accounts Payable/Travel, Student Financial Services, Financial Accounting and Reporting, Cash Services, Purchasing and Contract Administration, and Financial Systems. Is the principal advisor to the Vice President regarding financial issues and participates in the development and review of university policies related to campus business practices.
• Responsible for providing solutions to the CSUN community including streamlined procedures for payment processing; reducing or avoiding costs through strategic sourcing and supplier management; and ensuring daily operations support the university's mission and goals.
• Serves as liaison and resource to other campus administrators (including auxiliary organizations and enterprise operations) regarding financial and managerial accountability, compliance with applicable regulations, and consistent financial practices.
• Participates in the System wide Financial Officers Association (FOA), assisting both FOA and the Office of the Chancellor in development of financial policies and procedures, best practices, and financial audit compliance standards.
• Engages in a shared service partnership for administering Athletics business/budget operations.
• As a leader, demonstrates a commitment to student success that is mission aligned with the university's vision, values and priorities. Establishes an ethical and collegial work environment, promoting a collaborative, accountable and inclusive team. Encourages a courageous and resilient solution-oriented environment by participating in new opportunities to further the mission of the university. Participates in developing initiatives that further support the campus mission with a service-oriented and catalytic mind set. Strengthens employees by being communicative and a talent builder that develops team attributes, furthering departmental goals.
*NOTE: To view the full position description including all of the required qualifications copy and paste this link into your browser: https://bit.ly/3tkd6ed
• Equivalent to graduation from an accredited institution with a Master's degree in business, finance, accounting, or a related field.
• Equivalent to six years of progressively responsible professional experience in managing financial functions required; with three of the six years in a managerial role. Ten years of experience managing financial functions preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Leadership
• Extensive understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and auditing standards, as well as financial reporting under FASB and GASB requirements.
• Knowledge of and experience working with a comprehensive financial database system. Experience with Oracle/PeopleSoft preferred.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to develop and lead a collaborative team, and establish an effective, efficient Financial Services operation within a large, complex organization.
• Lead diverse teams to support the operational mission and vision of employers by fostering an ethical, inclusive and collegial work environment.
• Demonstrated ability to support ongoing improvement through courageous, resilient, and catalytic leadership.
• Lead varying initiatives through a collaborative, service-oriented and communicative approach.
• Demonstrated commitment to employee development, recognition, and accountability to further operational goals.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
• Salary is commensurate with knowledge, skills, and experience. The University offers excellent fringe benefits.
• This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU.
• A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
• The person holding this position may be considered a 'limited reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
• This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
• A resume with an accompanying cover letter may be submitted via the Spelman Johnson website at www.spelmanjohnson.com/open-positions. Nominations for this position may be emailed to Mark Hall at email@example.com. Applicants needing reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process should contact Spelman Johnson at 413-529-2895.
• Applications received through March 2, 2021, will be considered in the initial review and review of applications will continue until position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
Los Angeles, California