SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary Range: $5,742.00/month to $7,414.00/month. PLEASE NOTE: The starting salary will be between $5,742.00/month to $6,578.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/hr/benefits/index.html
ABOUT CAL STATE EAST BAY:
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Building Service Engineer is distinguished from an Operating Engineer by the independent and on-going performance of maintenance and repair work on a wider range of heating, ventilating, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, refrigeration, air conditioning, and water systems. Compared to the Air Conditioning/ Refrigeration Mechanic, the Building Service Engineer performs less sophisticated and comprehensive work on complex refrigeration and air conditioning systems. The work of an Air Conditioning/Refrigeration Mechanic requires a more comprehensive knowledge of these systems and the applicable regulations.
Under general supervision, incumbents operate, maintain, repair and inspect heating, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration, and water systems and equipment; test, adjust, and calibrate boiler and air conditioning machinery and mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, and/or microprocessor control instruments; test and chemically treat boiler, condenser, and cooling tower water and water from other systems; maintain, Inspect, diagnose and make emergency repairs to steam, natural gas, water, refrigerant, air and oil distribution systems; regularly use features of building automation systems to diagnose and troubleshoot problems in the HVAC systems while optimizing energy usage; monitor building automation systems data and adjust systems accordingly; respond to service requests to adjust air flow, temperature and humidity balances for Individual rooms, building areas or buildings; maintain swimming pools; troubleshoot basic elevator problems; maintain logs of maintenance and repairs using manual and computerized record-keeping systems; and may instruct and lead semi-skilled or unskilled assistants. Incumbents also repair and replace bearings, shafts, seals, rings and electrical wiring and install central system parts, gauges, valves and pipes which requires the application of journey level skills in one or more of the applicable Trades. Additionally, Incumbents may rotate through various shift assignments at stations either in a central plant or in the utilities centers of individual buildings or campus centers for the operation, service and repair of low, medium or high--speed revolution cogeneration equipment.
Conducts daily, weekly, monthly, semiannual, and annual assigned campus building walk-through(s) performing inspection/preventative maintenance reviews/observations to monitor all appropriate asset equipment. Conducts work primarily independently of other engineering staff while completing on-going performance of maintenance and repair work on a wider range of campus heating, ventilating, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, refrigeration, air conditioning, and water systems equipment. Supports required compliance documentation(s) using the department computer mechanical maintenance system, and the CMMS / TMA work order system.
Regularly uses appropriate asset feature(s) of building automation systems to diagnose and troubleshoot problems in the HVAC systems ensuring occupant comfort while optimizing energy usage; monitor specific building automation systems data and adjust system accordingly.
Support, review, and diagnoses of failing/failed HCAV asset equipment with timely response. Takes appropriate action to support communication(s) with supervisors to minimize customer related impact(s). Utilizes department CMMS / TMA by providing updated information noting discoveries, corrections, ordering of parts, and historical notes of completed work.
Enters all daily/weekly labor performed into the department CMMS / TMA.
Other duties as assigned.
* Thorough knowledge of high and low pressure boilers, and heating, pneumatic ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration and other mechanical equipment
* Thorough knowledge of the methods, tools and materials used in the operation, maintenance and repair of such equipment
* General knowledge of ventilation principles, thermal dynamics, and closed water systems
* Working knowledge of energy management systems including the ability to understand and use system features
* General knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used
* General knowledge of Cal OSHA regulations
* Must be able to install, operate and repair HVAC equipment and systems
* Demonstrate a high degree of mechanical skill equivalent to journey level in one or more related Trades such as Plumbing, pipe fitting, electrical, or air conditioning
* Read, interpret and work form blueprints, plans, drawings and specifications
* Make rough sketches, estimate cost, time and materials of mechanical work
* Maintain records and retrieve data related to work performed using manual and/or computerized record-keeping systems
* Prepare standard reports; provide instruction to unskilled and semi-skilled assistants
* Analyze and respond appropriately to emergency situations
* Read and write at a level appropriate to the position
* Perform arithmetic calculations as required by the position
* Demonstrate the ability to understand and respond clearly in written and oral language
* Demonstrate understanding and comply with the current Teamsters Unit 6 bargaining agreement
* Effectively listen and understand sensitivity and awareness in relating to individuals of diverse backgrounds
* Work with trust and respect, and ability to manage conflict constructively
* Ability to anticipate conditions/plan ahead; ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines
* Willingness to take on new projects/methods, willingness to support organizational goals, flexibility in response to changing circumstances
* Excellent customer service skills
* Must be able to work in high locations on ladders, scaffolds, motorized equipment, etc.
* Must be able to work in confined spaces.
* Must be able to work in varying climatic conditions, to include inclement weather.
* Must be able to wear a respirator.
* Some work on weekends and holidays may be required, and the workweek will be adjusted accordingly.
* May be required to work alone if working conditions dictates.
* Position may be needed during campus emergencies such as power outages, minor and major natural disasters, pandemics, etc.
Two years of journey-level experience in the operation, maintenance and repair of boiler, heating, ventilating, refrigeration and air conditioning equipment and systems or the equivalent combination of formal course work in mechanical technology and hands-on experience.
Must possess a valid California Driver's License and will be required to obtain a State of California Defensive Driving Permit.
HOW TO APPLY:
In addition to the standard Cal State East Bay application, please submit a:
1. Cover letter
3. List of three (3) or more professional references
Resumes alone will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
To apply on-line, please go to www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via automatic email reply regarding their application materials. In addition, all applicants who were not selected will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process. Please be patient as this process may take several weeks.
CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
Satisfactory completion of a background check that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions.
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled