SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary Range: $4,691.00/month to $6,683.00/month. PLEASE NOTE: The starting salary will be between $4,691.00/month to $5,687.00/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/hr/benefits/index.html
ABOUT CAL STATE EAST BAY:
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
THE GANAS (Gaining Access `N Academic Success) Program is an innovative access and retention program that offers integrated academic and cultural programming to welcome and socialize new transfer and continuing students while increasing their confidence, engagement, academic success, persistence and ultimately baccalaureate degree attainment rates.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
THE GANAS Counselor manages a caseload of GANAS students and assists in the admission, transition and retention of GANAS students through counseling and advisement, workshops, referrals and other forms of intervention. The GANAS Program Counselor has full professional responsibility for assisting students to resolve any problem(s) that affects their ability to be successful in their educational and career pursuits and make appropriate referrals to campus services and other resources. This position will also assist in the coordination and lead in the implementation of programs and services for the GANAS program.
Student Developmental Counseling/ Advising
* Independently provide comprehensive advisement, individually and in groups which include academic personal, financial or career-related counseling to a caseload of current GANAS Students.
* Perform in-depth analysis of student skills, abilities, previous academic performance and factors contributing, to the student's academic progress to assist students in program planning. Provide course advising, major and career exploration. Students may have problems choosing, pursuing and adjusting themselves to suitable educational and vocational goals.
* Complete GE evaluation and advising worksheets and maintain detailed and current records on each assigned student, including program of study outline, quarterly academic progress, counseling/advising contacts, referrals and test scores.
* Assist students to identify their problems, think them through, evaluate them realistically, deal with their aptitudes and abilities as related to their particular needs and circumstances, select suitable educational or vocational goals and implement corrective measures to alleviate skill deficiencies.
* Use professional judgement to develop solutions to individual student problems, of considerable difficulty, which represent integrative approaches comprising appropriate referrals to campus services and other resources. Adjust approaches and techniques in the face of unpredictable responses and rapidly changing circumstances.
* Implement innovative ways of encouraging and supporting the personal development needs of a diverse student population.
* Utilize proper techniques to interact with persons with hostile reactions and bring such situations under control.
* Plan, develop and conduct retention-related workshops, sessions and/or courses, as required.
* Maintain regular contact with students on caseload and monitor each student's academic progress.
* Write letters in support of participation applications for jobs, graduate school internships, scholarships, etc.
* Plan, coordinate and lead in the implementation of programs and services for designated component.
* Maintain a planning schedule for component utilizing Bay Advisor.
* Write component reports which include evaluation and recommendations.
* Coordinate the development and updating of all needed publications related/focused on academic advising.
GANAS Program Responsibilities
* Oversee a major (component(s) in the GANAS Orientation Sessions, GANAS Recognition Celebrations, etc.
* Assist with interviewing, hiring, training, of student assistants, as needed.
* Develop and present workshops on various academic issues to meet the needs of GANAS students.
* Participate in regular divisional, departmental and component meetings, and GANAS Core Team meetings as needed.
* Participate in campus activities and committees, as appropriate.
* Coordinate in the development of the departmental communications, as required.
GANAS Admissions Responsibilities
* Evaluate GANAS applications for program participation.
* Conduct interviews for admission consideration, as appropriate.
* Support incoming students' transition through individual and group meetings, orientation and welcome events.
* Provide admissions counseling to returning GANAS students who are reapplying or seeking reinstatement to the university.
Liaison and campus Involvement Responsibilities
* Represent the department in appropriate committees.
* Initiate and maintain cooperative working relationships with a variety of individuals and groups, including faculty, staff, student organizations and off-campus community groups.
* Partake in appropriate professional development activities to remain current on relevant issues pertaining to higher education and the recruitment and retention of low-income and high risk students.
* Participate in campus wide events and programs, which seek to recruit, retain or encourage the success of low-income and environmentally disadvantaged transfer students.
Other Duties as Assigned
* General knowledge of principle, practices and trends of Student Affairs field.
* Familiarity with transfer student culture and any distinctive aspects of the culture.
* Knowledge of transfer admissions policies and procedures.
* Knowledge of GE, major and graduation requirement.
* Knowledge of university policy and procedures regarding all academic concerns.
* Ability to interpret and use appropriate PeopleSoft admission, registration, advising, financial aid screens; and Hershey's Singularity.
* Ability to assess student's skill level based on information provided.
* Knowledge of the calculation of grade point deficiencies (GPD), grade point average (GPA) and the impact of academic renewal and reinstatement.
* Proficient in MS Access and the other database software.
* Knowledge of departmental, divisional and university protocol.
* Knowledge of interviewing and counseling skills and the ability to apply these to the counseling session.
* General knowledge of financial aid process and policies.
* Knowledge of group facilitation processes and advanced human relation skills.
* Knowledge of values and worldview of various cultures represented in the GANAS program.
* Ability to interact and work cooperatively with a diverse student population and staff.
* Thorough knowledge of the principles of individual and group behavior.
* General knowledge of individual counseling techniques.
* Working knowledge of student services programs outside of GANAS.
* Knowledge of the principles of providing lead work direction and ability to provide feedback to appropriate administrator regarding staff performance and evaluation.
* Ability to analyze complex situations accurately and adopt effective courses of action.
* Ability to carry out a variety of professionally complex assignments without detailed instructions.
* Proficiency in utilizing computer and word processing software.
Possession of these knowledge and abilities is typically demonstrated through the equivalent of three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience. One year in the program area to which assigned may be preferred but is not required.
A master's degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience. A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling or guidance may be substituted for the three years of experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional career or personal counseling.
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field, including or supplemented by upper division or graduate course work in counseling techniques, interviewing, and conflict resolution where such are job-related.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
* Masters degree in Counseling, Education, Social Service or related field.
* Bilingual in English and Spanish.
HOW TO APPLY:
In addition to the standard Cal State East Bay application, please submit a:
1. Cover letter
3. List of three (3) or more professional references
Resumes alone will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
To apply on-line, please go to www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via automatic email reply regarding their application materials. In addition, all applicants who were not selected will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process. Please be patient as this process may take several weeks.
CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
Satisfactory completion of a background check that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions.
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled