ATTENTION Merit System Employees: Do not apply through this site.If you are a current Merit System employee, please click HERE to log intothe internal career site.
for Salary Ranges
Plumbing, Gas and Mechanical Inspectors inspect a variety of plumbing, gas and mechanical installations. Such individuals often consult with contractors, engineers, plumbers and gas fitters regarding plumbing and gas installations, reviewing plans and specification for compliance with established codes and inspecting new or repaired gas and plumbing installations. They work independently on field inspections and decisions require independent judgment. The work conducted is subject to periodic checks and reviews by their supervisor.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:The following Minimum Qualifications are required for this job. You must demonstrate possession of these qualifications by providing a detailed description of your related experience in the work history section of your application. Please note that replicating or restating these minimum qualifications or the information from the Personnel Board's job description as your own work experience will result in your disqualification. Please describe your work experience in your own words to represent the work you have performed that is related to the minimum qualifications for this job.
- Enforcing codes and ordinances to ensure compliance and safety.
- Interpreting codes and ordinances for construction professionals and the general public to clarify information.
- Conducting general inspection activities.
- Maintaining inspection records by filing, researching, documenting records, calculating fees and preparing for court cases.
- Reviewing plans to ensure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances.
- Conducting plumbing, gas, and/or mechanical inspections to ensure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances.
- Engages in activities designed to ensure professional development, awareness of developments in the field, and knowledge of relevant practices, rules, laws, policies, and/or guidelines.
- Researching and reviewing codes, ordinances, notices, and permitting to ensure knowledge is current or to provide information to others.
- Conducting inspections related to life safety, handicap accessibility, and natural disasters to ensure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances.
- Driver's License.
- Must possess 2 of the 3 Certification/Journeyman or Master cards: 1) Plumber card from Alabama State Board of Plumbers, 2) Gas Fitters Examining Board. Gas Fitters card from Alabama State Board of Plumbers and Gas Fitters Examining Board, or 3) HVAC Certification from State Board of Alabama Heating, Air Conditioning Con tractors Certification.
- Experience reading plumbing, gas, and mechanical plans.
- Experience sizing/installing plumbing systems.
- Experience sizing/installing gas piping systems.
- Experience sizing/installing gas venting systems.
- Possess all 3: Journeyman or Master or Certification :Plumber card from Alabama State Board of Plumbers and Gas Fitters Examining Board. Gas Fitters card from Alabama State Board of Plumbers and Gas Fitters Examining Board.
- HVAC Certification from State Board of Alabama Heating, Air Conditioning Contractors Certification.
- Experience in the installation of plumbing, gas, and HVAC systems.
- Adaptability & Flexibility.
- Heavy Equipment & Vehicle Use. Learning & Memory.
- Mathematical & Statistical Skills.
- Oral Communication & Comprehension.
- Planning & Organizing.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making.
- Professionalism & Integrity.
- Researching & Referencing.
- Reviewing, Inspecting & Auditing. Self-Management & Initiative.
- Sensory Abilities.
- Small Tool & Equipment Use. Teamwork & Interpersonal.
- Technical Skills.
- Technical & Job-Specific Knowledge.
- Written Communication & Comprehension.
- Knowledge of building construction, codes (e.g., fire codes, life safety codes, mechanical codes), and building systems (e.g. HVAC)
- Knowledge of the International Fuel Gas Code.
- Knowledge of water piping including the effect of pipe size, type, and C factor, standard installation, operating capacities an pressures, head loss in pipes, tuberculation and joints and fittings.
- Knowledge of building construction related to building maintenance and materials used for building construction.
- Knowledge of construction trade terminology (electrical, HVAC, plumbing, carpentry).
- Knowledge of electrical and mechanical engineering principles as applied to the design and installation of mechanical equipment and systems in buildings.
- Knowledge of plumbing codes.
- Knowledge of the International Residential Building Code.
- Knowledge of the repair, installation and maintenance of gas lines.
- Work is performed both within employer-owned facilities such as an office, or in field locations such as external places of business, residence, or construction worksites.
- Job involves moderate physical exertion required for occasional prolonged periods of lifting, carrying, balancing, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, or running.
- Work may involve occasional lifting of items or objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
DISCLAIMER: This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of the job duties, responsibilities, or skills and abilities required to do the job and may be changed at the discretion of the Personnel Board at any time.
Persons requiring special conditions to accommodate a disability when completing the application should contact the Personnel Board at 205-279-3500 before the announcement closing date. Qualified applicants who believe they will need reasonable accommodation in the examination process should complete and submit an Accommodation Request Form. You may obtain an Accommodation Request Form by contacting our ADA Ombudsperson at ADAO@pbjcal.org, or by accessing the "Request for Accommodation" form through the following website: http://www.pbjcal.org/
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Personnel Board of Jefferson County (Personnel Board) provides a public personnel system based on merit principles. The Personnel Board strives for the constant improvement of the public service by employing and developing the best qualified persons available. The Personnel Board provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, political beliefs, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employment decisions are made by the Merit System municipality or governmental agency in which the position exists. Each Merit System municipality, agency, or jurisdiction administers its own equal employment opportunity programs in compliance with applicable state and/or federal laws and regulations.