Introduction THIS IS A CONTINUOUS EXAMINATION:
The examination consists of an on-going review of candidates' applications and supplemental questionnaires to verify possession of minimum qualifications. Those candidates who possess the minimum qualifications for the class will be placed on the eligible list based on an evaluation of education, training, and experience. The eligible list resulting from this recruitment and selection process may be used to fill future vacancies which may arise within the next year.
This examination may be reopened as necessary and the names of additional candidates merged onto the existing list according to examination score. Supplemental Questionnaire
: A properly completed Supplemental Questionnaire must be submitted with each application. Applications and Supplemental Questionnaires must be in the possession of the Human Resource Services Department by 5:00 p.m. on the Last Day for Filing. Failure to submit the Application or Supplemental Questionnaire will result in disqualification. Applications and Supplemental Questionnaires will only be accepted on-line.
DESCRIPTION THE AGENCY
Zone 7 provides treated drinking water to four major water retailers serving around 260,000 residents and businesses. The retailers are: the City of Pleasanton; the City of Livermore; California Water Service Company - Livermore; and Dublin San Ramon Services District, which provides water service to Dublin and the Dougherty Valley area of San Ramon. THE POSITION
Under general supervision the incumbent performs difficult professional civil and technical engineering/geological work related to water resources, flood control, water supply and water treatment facilities and systems, and has lead responsibility which involves, but is not limited to, assigning, scheduling, monitoring, training and reviewing the work of assigned personnel; performs related work as required.
For a detailed listing of the essential responsibilities and core competency requirements for this position, please clickhere
for the job description. IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate has experience with a proven track record of success that demonstrates knowledge, skills and abilities in the following areas:
• A self-starting individual with proven experience working on engineering projects and studies, and managing contracted services (e.g., consultants);
• Possesses a broad working knowledge of engineering and/or planning principles and practices in water resources (e.g., water supply and flood protection) along with experience with related codes, ordinances and laws;
• Ability to manage multiple ongoing projects and coordinate related resources, personnel and activities to successful completion;
• Ability to plan, design, and manage construction (of) water supply and flood protection-related projects.
• Ability to work with regulatory agencies to implement projects.
• Collects and synthesizes data/information from a variety of sources in an objective and scientific manner to reach a sound conclusion or forecast;
• Sets reasonable goals and develops a plan to achieve goals while ensuring routine activities continue productively;
• Exhibits adaptability and enthusiasm when faced with changes and challenges;
• Practices strong interpersonal communications to maintain constructive relationships with the public, other agencies, developers, engineering firms and all levels of staff across the Agency, fostering cooperation and collaboration to ensure efficient completion of projects and goals;
• Effectively presents and receives information and concepts, in both written and oral formats.
• Utilizes and manages technology (such as GIS) and other resources to achieve Agency objectives.
• Positions may be assigned to any section within.
The equivalent of one year of full-time experience in the class of Assistant Engineer/Geologist, Zone 7.
Possession of a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering, Geology or a closely related field. (Possession of a valid State of California Engineer-In-Training certificate may be substituted for the required degree.)
The equivalent of three years of full-time, progressively responsible professional engineering/geological experience.
Possession of a valid California Certificate of Registration as a Professional Engineer issued by the California State Board of Registration for Civil and Professional Engineer, or a valid California Certificate of Registration as a Registered Geologist issued by the California State Board of Registered Geologists and Geophysicists.
Possession of a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
NOTE: The Civil Service Commission may modify the above Minimum Qualifications in the announcement of an examination.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS The most suitably qualified candidates will possess the following competencies:
• Principles and practices of civil engineering as applied to a water agency, including design and construction, surveying and drafting, materials engineering and soil mechanics, environmental impact analysis and stress analysis.
• Principles of hydrology, hydraulics, hydrogeology and water resources management.
• Principles and practices of project management and contract administration, including planning, organizing, delegating, scheduling and controlling.
• Engineering mathematics, economics and statistical analysis.
• Construction methods, material, specifications and codes.
• Computer software applications related to engineering/geology.
• Applicable codes, regulations and standards relating to water resources, water quality and civil engineering.
• Effectively organize and coordinate complex engineering/geological projects, studies and contracted services.
• Prepare and oversee preparation of plans, designs, sketches, estimates and specifications.
• Apply engineering principles and computer programs to the solution of engineering/geological problems.
• Conduct engineering/geological studies, investigations and analyses.
• Analyze and interpret complex data and reports and reach sound conclusions and forecasts.
• Read, understand and interpret engineering/geological data, maps, survey notes, legal descriptions and other material.
• Prepare clear, concise and accurate reports and correspondence.
• Maintain accurate data and records.
• Deal tactfully and effectively with the public, other agencies, developers, engineering firms and contractors, and other employees.
• Lead assigned staff in completion of projects and tasks.
Must be willing and able to work in exposure to chemical, mechanical and electrical hazards and outdoors all weather conditions. May be required to respond to emergencies in off-hours.
The examination will consist of the following steps:
- Review of candidates' application to verify possession of minimum requirements. Those candidates who possess the minimum requirements for the class will move on to the next step in the examination process.
- A review of the supplemental questionnaire to further verify knowledge, skill and ability.
- An oral interview which will be weighted as 100% of the candidates' final examination score. The oral interview may contain situational exercises.
Candidates must attain a qualifying rating on each portion of this recruitment.
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE ANNOUNCED EXAMINATION STEPS.
Alameda County utilizes a Civil Service Selection System founded on merit. Such a system is competitive and based on broad recruitment efforts and equal opportunity for qualified applicants to test in an examination process designed to determine the qualifications, fitness, and ability of competitors to perform duties of the vacant position. Many of our recruitments are targeted and specific to the needs of a current vacant position, in which case, the eligible list may be exclusively used for that current vacant position. Other recruitments may be more broadly used for both current and future vacancies, or for other alternate jobs with comparable scopes of work.
To learn more about our recruitment and selection process, please visit the "What You Need to Know" section of our website, www.acgov.org/hrs
Applicants will be informed via email with reasonable noticein advance of any examination process which will require their attendance. The following dates are tentative
and subject to change based on the needs of the Agency: TENTATIVE SELECTION PLAN
Deadline for Filing: 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, December 15, 2020
Friday, January 15, 2021
TBD Review of Minimum Qualifications: by Monday, December 21, 2020
by Friday, January 29, 2021
On-going Review of Supplemental Questionnaire for Best Qualified: byWednesday January 13, 2021
by Friday, February 12, 2021
On-going Oral Interviews: Week of January 25, 2021
Week of February 22, 2021
TBD *Updated on 12/15/2020 & 1/15/21 (eb) WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE ANNOUNCED RECRUITMENT & SELECTION PLAN.
Alameda County and the Human Resource Services Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination and/or selection process to accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities and/or medical conditions in accordance/compliance with the State Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Alameda County's Reasonable Accommodation Policy and applicable statutes. To request an accommodation due to a disability/medical condition during this or other phases of the examination/selection process, please contact the assigned Human Resources Representative listed on the job announcement before the last date of filing. Alameda County requires applicants to provide supporting documentation to substantiate a request for reasonable accommodation. In order to qualify for a reasonable accommodation, applicants must have a disability/medical condition pursuant to the ADA, FEHA and applicable statutes.
For more information regarding our Reasonable Accommodation procedures, please visit our website, www.acgov.org/hrs
Alameda County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that affords wide-ranging health care options to meet the different needs of a diverse workforce and their families. We also sponsor many different employee discount, fitness and health screening programs focused on overall well being. These benefits include but are not limited to*: For your Health & Well-Being
For your Financial Future
- Medical - HMO & PPO Plans
- Dental - HMO & PPO Plans
- Vision or Vision Reimbursement
- Share the Savings
- Basic Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance (with optional dependent coverage for eligible employees)
- County Allowance Credit
- Flexible Spending Accounts - Health FSA, Dependent Care and Adoption Assistance
- Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Voluntary Benefits - Accident Insurance, Critical Illness, Hospital Indemnity and Legal Services
- Employee Assistance Program
For your Work/Life Balance
- Retirement Plan - (Defined Benefit Pension Plan)
- Deferred Compensation Plan (457 Plan or Roth Plan)
- 11 paid holidays
- Floating Holidays
- Vacation and sick leave accrual
- Vacation purchase program
- Catastrophic Sick Leave
- Group Auto/Home Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Guaranteed Ride Home
- Employee Wellness Program (e.g. At Work Fitness, Incentive Based Programs, Gym Membership Discounts)
- Employee Discount Program (e.g. theme parks, cell phone, etc.)
- Child Care Resources
- 1 st United Services Credit Union
*Eligibility is determined by Alameda County and offerings may vary by collective bargaining agreement. This provides a brief summary of the benefits offered and can be subject to change.
All notices related to County recruitments for which you have applied will be sent/delivered via email. Please firstname.lastname@example.org, acgov.org
as accepted addresses to any email blocking or spam filtering program you may use. If you do not do this, your email blocking or spam filtering program may block receipt of the notices regarding your application for recruitments. You are also strongly advised to regularly log into your County of Alameda online application account to check for notices that may have been sent to you. All email notices that will be sent to you will also be kept in your personal online application account. You will be able to view all of your notices in your online application account by clicking on the "My applications" button on the Current Job Openings page. Please take the steps recommended above to ensure you do not miss any notices about a recruitment for which you have applied. The County of Alameda is not responsible for notices that are not read, received or accessed by any applicant for a County recruitment.
NOTE: All notices are generated through an automated email notification system. Replies to the email box Noreply@jobaps.com
are routed to an unmonitored mailbox. If you have questions, please go to our website at www.acgov.org/hrs
. You may also contact the Human Resources Analyst listed on the job announcement for the recruitment for which you have applied.
Erika Beams, Human Resources Analyst
Human Resource Services Division, County of Alameda
www.acgov.org/hrsDISASTER SERVICE WORKER
All Alameda County employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law. Employment with the County requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to report to work as ordered in the event of an emergency. EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Alameda County has a diverse workforce, that is representative of the communities we serve and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment are based on merit, competence, performance and business need. Alameda County does not discriminate in employment on the basis of, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors protected under federal, state and local law. Alameda County celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive, and welcoming workplace environment.Closing Date/Time: Continuous