Are you passionate about serving others and your community? Do you have a desire to help people on a daily basis? Would others describe you as professional and ethical? If so, a career as a Police Officer at the City of Spokane may be the perfect profession for you!
The Spokane Police Department (SPD) seeks applicants that are interested in joining a team of dedicated individuals to protect and serve Spokane citizens. SPD operates off the values of integrity, professionalism and compassion.
SPD is committed to community outreach, public service, community policing and inclusivity.
Not only does a career as a Police Officer offer various advancement opportunities and diverse career paths but also rewarding and fulfilling work. A day in the life of a Spokane Police officer
means doing work, each day that is vital to our community.
Police Officers also receive an excellent benefits package including a pension plan and annual salary increases!
Why choose the Spokane region:
Why do locals love Spokane? It may depend on whom you ask but most will tell you it is because of the abundance of outdoor recreation, numerous waterways within a close driving distance, arts and culture, a plethora of breweries and wineries, and a rich food scene in the vibrant downtown core. With its natural beauty, entertainment, award winning K-12 schools and excellent colleges and universities it's no wonder why Spokane continues to grow! Learn more about our city here
EXAMPLES OF JOB FUNCTIONS
- Exercises powers of arrest and control; defends self and uses force and deadly force; enforces motor vehicle laws; operates vehicle under emergency conditions and provides emergency assistance; responds to crime scenes and performs criminal investigations; participates in special operations.
- Patrols a designated area on foot or in a radio and computer equipped vehicle to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crime, to direct traffic and to enforce traffic and parking regulations.
- Answers calls and investigates complaints involving accidents, fires, misdemeanors and felonies; investigates suspicious activities. Administers first aid, interviews witnesses, gathers information and evidence, makes arrests, prepares reports, testifies as witness in court.
- May be assigned, on a permanent or shift basis, to such specialized technical or administrative duties as: working police desk, maintenance of criminal records, license inspection, photographic and identification work, traffic safety training, field training, radio operation, etc. Advises public on laws and ordinances, provides general information and otherwise assists the public.
- Performs related work as required.
Before applying, please read the City of Spokane Police Department Hiring Standards
.Open Entry Requirements:
(Open entry applicants must meet all requirements when they apply.)
- Education : Completion of 45 quarter or 30 semester credit hours of course work from an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of C or 2.0, which includes at least 5 quarter or 3 semester credit hours of college English.
- Experience : None
- Licenses : Possession of a valid driver's license.
- Candidates must be 20 years of age at the time of application and 21 years of age at the time of appointment.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must be within the normal weight range for height.
- Physical requirements for this position, including eyesight, hearing, and other physical abilities are consistent with state law and guidelines.
- All successful candidates who have been offered a position will be required to pass a post-offer physical and psychological examination prior to appointment.
- A police record may be grounds for rejection.
Police Officer applicants must pass the Public Safety Testing, Inc. examination, to be eligible for hire by City of Spokane. After you have completed the PST, you will be invited to apply for the position. PST scores must be less than one year old.
If you have not already taken the PST, you may sign up at www.publicsafetytesting.com
NOTE: The standard PST written test cost is $50, which allows applicants to choose up to two agencies to receive their results. Applicants may select more agencies, for additional fees. Applicants who apply to agencies other than City of Spokane, or who take the test at a date or location other than the designated free test date in Spokane, are responsible for all costs incurred.
Additional examinations shall be administered as applications are received, with results merged into one eligible list, according to final ratings and pursuant to the Merit System Rules of the Civil Service Commission: Rule IV, Section 13 - Continuous Examinations.
Upon request and at time of application, City of Spokane will provide alternative accessible tests, to individuals with disabilities that impair manual, sensory or speaking skills needed to take the test, unless the test is intended to measure those skills.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity within our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, familial status, genetic information, veteran/military status or disability status. As a Fair Chance employer, City of Spokane does not conduct initial background screening for non-public safety positions