Palo Alto is the only city in California that offers a full array of utility services to its citizens and businesses. Because of this, the City has a unique opportunity to partner with the Palo Alto community to enjoy the benefits and achievements of reliable, home-grown, and environmentally-focused utilities. Palo Alto has a tradition of over 100 years of successful public utility operations. It is a tradition that continues to provide the Palo Alto community with safe and reliable utilities service, local decision-making over policies, utility rate-making, environmental programs, and customized services. The Position
The Utilities Supervisory position will oversee daily operations of a Lineperson/Cable Splicer crew in the Electrical Division. Oversight will include supervision of work crews, responding to customer service inquiries and investigate complaints, conduct site inspections, and serve as a committee member on the Apprenticeship Committee. Responsibilities of this position include the ability to develop work plans, determine priorities and evaluate staff performance to determine coaching and training needs. Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have extensive journey level electric lineperson construction experience and be knowledgeable of industry standards to establish best practices within the work place. The ability to motivate work crews and lead teams is an essential part of this role and an opportunity to stretch your leadership skills. Experience with data bases and previous analytical work will be an important part of this role.
The City offers a range of benefits including a retirement plan so make sure to visit our benefits portal here . Essential Duties
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervises technical, clerical, and lead staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained; and making hiring, termination and disciplinary recommendations.
- Supervises activities and participates in the monitoring, operating, servicing, troubleshooting, and maintenance of division equipment to ensure proper operations, which includes: adjusting processes; scheduling maintenance; interpreting raw data; monitoring activities for industrial compliance; ordering supplies and inventory; and/or, performing other related duties.
- Updates and maintains operating, procedural, and/or maintenance manuals and related files.
- Reviews and prepares a variety of applications, studies, data sheets and/or reports, which includes: compiling and calculating information and data; checking, recording, and updating records; and/or, preparing other related information. Submits reports to applicable internal departments and staff, as well as external agencies.
- Participates in facility maintenance, expansion, design, and/or renovation activities and projects.
- Facilitates and organizes training on applicable safety issues, division procedures, and/or other related topics.
- Responds to requests for information from the general public, other internal departments, external agencies, the community, employees, and/or other interested parties.
- Prepares, reviews, processes, and maintains a variety of records, data, and information in support of assigned program and/or project.
- Monitors compliance with applicable Federal, State, and local laws, ordinances, codes, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Participates in/on meetings, committees, and/or other applicable groups in order to receive and convey information.
- Participates in the preparation and administration of division budget, which may include capital improvement program budgets; monitors and approves expenditures in accordance with applicable policies.
- May participate in field engineering and quality control activities and layout design on applicable projects.
To review the complete job description, go here Minimum Qualifications
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge and skills, which would typically be acquired through:
- High School Diploma, or G.E.D., and ten years of related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Based upon area of assignment, some positions may require:
- Valid California Driver's License;
Closing Date/Time: Continuous