Distinguishing Features of the Class
Oversees activities and participants at the City wading pools. Approximate employment duration :
May work up to 40 hours per week. Assigned work hours between 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM, including weekends and holidays, from May-August. Deadline :
Applications are accepted until such time a sufficient number of qualified applications is received to fill the positions. Note :
Hiring preference is given to applicants who held the position with the City of Des Moines during the 2020 summer employment season. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the work performed by these positions are currently limited or not being performed. The positions are posted now in preparation for post COVID-19 operations. Acceptable Experience and Training
Required Special Qualifications
- Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school.
- Must be 16 years of age.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Passing of a pre-employment physical and drug screen is required prior to employment.
- Current certification in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and First Aid when work assignment requires.
- Free CPR/First Aid certification courses are available through the City of Des Moines Park and Recreation Department for those offered employment in this position. For more information, please contact Austin Tasler at (515) 248-6330.
- Organizes, plans and leads a wide variety of recreation activities such as day camps, youth programs, summer playground programs, arts and crafts, sports, games and special events supervising participants in these activities;
- Maintains discipline and observes necessary precautions to ensure safety of activity and program participants;
- Warns community center patrons against hazardous practices and instructs them on facility rules;
- Issues and monitors use of recreation supplies and equipment;
- Maintains attendance and activity records and creates and updates regular reports;
- Collects admission and class registration fees and writes receipts;
- May drive a vehicle for transportation of program/activity participants and performs related work as required.
Closing Date/Time: 6/15/2021 5:00 PM Central