Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under direction to perform inspection services on a wide range of non-complex municipal construction projects; performs directly related work as required. Approximate employment duration : This is a 6-9 month assignment.
Employment period is between March and November; 40 plus hours per week; Monday-Saturday. Deadline : Applications are accepted until such time a sufficient number of qualified applications is received to fill the positions. Acceptable Experience and Training
Required Special Qualifications
- Graduation from High School or possession of a GED; and
- Some experience in public works andor building trades construction; OR
- Any equivalent combination of related education and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Prior experience in civil engineering technology and/or public improvement construction such as street paving, sewer construction or other related public improvement construction is preferred.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Requires satisfactory criminal, sex offender and driving record background checks.
- Passing a pre-employment physical and drug screen is required prior to employment.
- Possession of valid driver's license or equivalent mobility.
- If possess an out-of-state Driver's License, submittal of driving records is required. Please submit to the City of Des Moines Human Resources Department; electronically to email@example.com, by fax to 515-237-1680, or by mail to 1551 E MLK Jr Pkwy, Des Moines, IA 50317 at the time of application.
- Under direction to inspect a variety of non-complex public improvement projects.
- Reviews plans, specifications, contract documents and special provisions for each assigned project with supervisor.
- Performs a variety of field and laboratory tests to assure workmanship and materials meet required standards;
- Prepares detailed written daily reports on progress and details of inspections;
- Performs miscellaneous routine survey, drafting, clerical and engineering assignments as directed.
- Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems.
- Responds to citizens' questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner;
- Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities;
- Assists Senior Construction Inspectors in administering tests, preparing daily reports, and inspections of larger scale, more complex public improvement projects;
- Assigned to testing laboratory as needed;
- Assigned to survey department as needed;
- Performs other directly related duties consistent with the role and function of the classification.
Closing Date/Time: 6/4/2021 5:00 PM Central