DESCRIPTIONApply online 24 hours a day, beginning at 1:00 p.m., March 27, 2017. Filing will remain open until vacancies are filled. Filing may close without further notice.Effective October 1, 2020, through September 30, 2021, current salary ranges are impacted by the city-wide furlough. Additional information is outlined in the City's Memorandum of Understandings (MOUs) with its labor unions at http://www.longbeach.gov/hr/about-us/labor-relations . EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Under general supervision, empties refuse containers; lifts, carries, and removes large or bulky items; operates a refuse collection truck and/or performs as a helper on a truck as assigned; cleans truck cab, truck beds, and rear of blade; performs electronic and or paper pre/post trips; sets compaction blade to ensure capacity loading; prevents littering of streets; dumps loads at disposal sites according to assigned schedules; observes prescribed weighing and dumping procedures; practices safe lifting methods and may instruct others; observes and enforces safety regulations; washes and cleans truck and truck beds; checks vehicle with pre-trip and post-trip inspection and reports mechanical defects electronically or in writing; refers customer complaints to supervisor; tags containers not in compliance with City codes; reports unsatisfactory conditions of refuse containers; prepares written reports as required; may be assigned to special events, collections, or details; and performs other related duties as required. REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
*Required documents must be uploaded to the online application at time of filing.
- A valid California Class "A" or "B" driver's license without restrictions that would limit the operation of a commercial vehicle weighing in excess of 26,000 pounds with air brakes.
- A current California DMV driving record *(proof required).
- Ability to:
- Read, write, comprehend instructions, and interpret street maps.
- Repeatedly climb in and out of a truck, regularly lift and carry up to 60 pounds, and perform strenuous manual labor; safely maneuver a refuse vehicle through narrow alleys and streets.
- Drive and safely operate equipment in all weather or under all conditions.
- Maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and customers.
- Mechanical operations and safety functions of all equipment including driving, backing, loading, compacting, lifting, and use of other vehicle functions.
- Material collected and disposed of through the solid waste collection system as well as materials that are not to be collected.
- All traffic laws, safety functions and vehicle maintenance.
Willingness to work various hours, shifts, weekends, holidays, overtime, or during emergencies as required.
Candidates who are contacted for a selection interview will be required to provide proof of a current California DMV driving record. Candidates who have a record of serious or frequent violations may not be considered for selection at the discretion of the hiring department. SELECTION PROCEDURE EXAMINATION WEIGHTS:
This examination will be conducted using the continuous, non-competitive procedure. All applicants meeting the requirements to file will be placed on the eligible list with those receiving Veteran's Credit first, and then in the order in which applications were filed. Eligible lists will be established periodically.If you have not received notification shortly after filing, contact the Civil Service Department at (562) 570-6202.
In support of the City's Language Access Policy, bilingual skills (Spanish, Khmer and/or Tagalog) are desirable for some positions interacting with the public.
J.O.B. JA2AN-17B RO SG 3/27/17
This information is available in an alternative format by request at (562) 570-6202. If special accommodation is desired, please contact the Civil Service Department two (2) business days prior to the test at (562) 570-6202. For hearing impaired, call (562) 570-6638.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous