The Environmental Services Bureau of the Department of Public Works is seeking Refuse Operator I Non-Career employees to assist the Refuse Division with the collection and disposal of municipal waste. Non-Career employees are allowed a maximum of 1600 work hours available over a 12-month period, and are considered temporary, at-will employees who are not typically eligible for benefits. However, non-career employees may qualify for health coverage and sick leave accruals subject to applicable federal and state provisions. EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
- Empties refuse containers;
- Lifts, carries, and removes large or bulky items;
- Sets compaction blade to ensure capacity loading;
- Washes and cleans truck and truck beds;
- Refers customer complaints to supervisor;
- Reports unsatisfactory conditions of refuse containers;
- May operate a refuse collection truck;
- May be assigned to special events, collections, or details;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- A valid California Class A or B Commercial Driver License permit;
- A clean driving record - Defined as having no more than two moving violations in the previous 12 months, and no convictions for Driving Under the Influence in the previous three years;
- Ability to: repeatedly climb in and out of a refuse truck, regularly lift and carry up to 60 pounds, and perform strenuous manual labor;
- Willingness to work various hours and/or shifts including weekends, holidays, overtime, or during emergencies, as required.
The application process may close at any time and without further notice. Interested applicants must submit completed applications (including a copy of Class A/B Commercial Driver License Permit).
Only qualified candidates will be invited to participate in the selection process which will include an interview by a selection panel. Not all applicants will be contacted. Selected candidates will be required to pass a Department of Justice Live Scan background check and a job-related physical examination.Closing Date/Time: