The Position This is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 2/5/21, 5/7/21, 8/6/21, 11/5/21 Level I - $2,832.75 - $3,441.75/month
Level II - $2,984.08 - $3,627.90/month
Nutrition Assistants provide nutrition education and assistance to qualifying participants. Incumbents interview and/or assess women, infants and children to determine eligibility for the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Supplemental Nutrition Program; assess nutritional status and provide education, counseling, referrals and other information to program participants; provide nutrition services to senior citizens through the Senior Nutrition Program; and perform related duties as assigned. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge of
- Principles of nutrition
- Interviewing, counseling and teaching techniques
- Types of available community resources
- The problems, needs, attitudes and behavior patterns of physically, socially, educationally or economically disabled or disadvantaged people
- Proper food handling, food safety and sanitation practices
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Accurately gather information to assess nutritional needs and progress
- Communicate effectively with a diverse clientele
- Present information clearly and effectively in a group setting
- Formulate and make recommendations to clients regarding behaviors which impact
- Use community resources to assist clients
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Understand and accept differences in attitudes toward health and diet resulting from medical, financial, cultural and other factors
- Understand and apply regulations, rules and procedures
- Keep records and prepare reports
- Perform basic mathematical computations
- Read, write and speak English at a level necessary for successful job performance
- Use computers and related equipment as necessary for job assignments
There are no minimum education or experience requirements. A high school diploma, GED or equivalent is highly desirable.General Qualifications
Driver's License: Some positions require a valid California Class C driver's license prior to appointment to this class. Failure to maintain a valid Class C license may constitute cause for termination from this class in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Working Conditions: Duties require exposure to any of the following: hostile, verbally abusive, or otherwise disorderly clients; and dangerous, high-crime areas of the community.
Child and Elder Abuse Reporting: Persons selected for employment must, as a condition of employment, sign a statement agreeing to comply with Section 11166 and 11160 of the California Penal Code relating to child and elder abuse reporting.
Special Skills Language Requirement: Some positions may require the use of specific language and multi-cultural knowledge in the performance of duties. This includes sufficient knowledge to speak, read and/or write fluently in a language other than standard English. Also, knowledge of family member roles and living environments; the various characteristics or problems unique to the group in employment, education, health, economics and social customs, and current social movements involving the group may be required. These requirements may also include translation and interpretation using standard English and a language other than standard English, and acting as a consultant to other employees regarding multi-cultural groups.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months. Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous