Summary WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our community was named "The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist. OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace. However, we also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four employee-inspired values - Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (RISE). We are also supported by servant-based leaders who foster and support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our exceptional work environment as a high performance organization. SUMMARY OF POSITION
General Supervision is provided by the Aquatic Specialist. The Swimming Instructor Aide will work cooperatively with the Swimming Instructor to ensure that all McKinney Swim School participants receive a positive and safe learning experience. The Swimming Instructor Aide will assist with teaching swimming lessons. New hires must successfully complete the City of McKinney Swimming Instructor Aide training and demonstrate an understanding of the material presented during training. Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
In order for us to continue to achieve our primary function of making McKinney a better place to live, work, and raise a family, we hold these expectations for all employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Learn and demonstrate an understanding of how team, department, and City goals are interconnected.
- Contribute to a positive work culture.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to assess his/her work performance or the work performance of the team.
- Contribute to the development of others and/or the working unit or overall organization.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team, to demonstrate team skills, and to perform a fair share of team responsibilities.
- Ability to continuously learn and develop through a mix of internal and external training opportunities, and if applicable, encourage subordinates to do the same.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Sets up equipment for McKinney Swim School classes.
- Helps take class attendance.
- Under instruction, supervise and help instruct students, while monitoring class safety.
- Demonstrate any of the swimming strokes taught in the McKinney Swim School program as needed.
- Work individually with special needs participants and/or lower level students .
- Comply with all written City policies and procedures.
- Adhere to assigned work schedule as outlined in City and department attendance policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and treat co-workers, subordinates and customers with respect.
- Possess a strong sense of maturity and responsibility, work well with children in a positive and enthusiastic manner.
- Build professional relationships with internal staff and customers.
- Offer flexibility and adaptability, especially during times of change.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Physical Demands/Supplemental PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Minimum age of 15
- Ability to successfully complete the City of McKinney Swimming Instructor Aide Training Course once hired.
- Must have experience in swimming a minimum of 25 yards in both Front crawl and Back crawl and demonstrated proficiency in Breaststroke, Butterfly, Sidestroke, and Elementary Backstroke. Swim strokes will be tested during interview process.
- Must pass a background and drug screen.
- If age 16 or older must have a valid drivers license to be able to drive to other facilities to fill staffing needs or attend meetings.
- Must pass a drug screen and background check.
There are certain physical demands required to perform the essential functions of this job, including: Over two-thirds of the time (frequently): Talking and Hearing; Using hands to touch, handle or feel objects; Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; The ability to lift and/or exert force up to ten (10) pounds. Between one-thirds and two-thirds of the time (occasionally): Standing; Walking; Reaching with hands and arms; The ability to lift and/or exert force up to twenty-five (25) pounds; Under one-thirds of the time: Sitting; Climbing or balancing; Tasting or smelling; The ability to lift and/or exert force up to fifty (50) pounds. WORK ENVIRONMENT
There will be frequent exposure to wet conditions (in and around the swimming pool) and to outdoor weather conditions. SUPPLEMENTAL
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The City of McKinney is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace and to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous