The City of Fort Lauderdale Parks and Recreation Department is seeking for dynamic and goal-driven employees. Employees that are motivated to take on today's greatest challenges and rewards in the field of local public service. Employees who are passionate about making a difference and achieving our mission: We Build Community, in a fast-paced organization that operates by vision, strategy, and action. Would you fit in? Apply now.
This is professional and administrative work that includes the planning, design, and construction of capital improvement projects as well as oversight of a wide variety of projects. This position supports managing and inspecting engineering construction projects or transportation and mobility projects within a City Department. A major emphasis is monitoring the work of engineering and architectural consultants and contractors engaged in the design and construction of a wide variety of projects. This position will remain open until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received. The City offers a wide variety of benefits to their employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, anyone hired after Jan 1, 2021 will be automatically enrolled in the Florida Retirement System (FRS), which will require a 3% contribution from employees. Say "Hello" to the City of Fort Lauderdale and Say "Goodbye" to Your Student Loan! That's right! Under the U.S. Department of Education's Public Service Loan Forgiveness ( PSLF ) program, the remaining balance on your student loan may be forgiven after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time at the City of Fort Lauderdale! Please visit
www.fortlauderdale.gov/PublicServiceLoanForgiveness for more information or to see if you qualify.
This job classification is included within the bargaining unit represented by Federation of Public Employees and therefore is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Federation of Public Employees. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
Special Requirements: Essential Employees
- Manages monitors, directs, and regularly reports on the progress of public construction engineering and architectural consultants for a variety of capital improvement projects, including but not limited to; overseeing the bidding process, contractor selection, and project planning and scheduling, to ensure projects are completed on time, on budget, and with high levels of quality assurance
- Consults with supervisors on problems of design, construction, or maintenance of municipal public facilities, prepares reports and makes recommendations relating to the project and construction activities.
- Prepares, negotiates, executes, and manages task orders for professional consultants and contractors
- Prepares projects for bid, including reviewing of plans, specifications, and estimates
- Reviews and approves contractor and consultant pay requests
- Provides technical information and guidance on municipal projects; resolves project related issues
- Prepares reports, memorandums, and related correspondence pertaining to projects in design or construction.
- Prepares reports for upper management and stakeholder information
- Coordinates with other City departments, external agencies and applicants on projects
- Conducts meetings with consultants, contractors, departments, stakeholders, and other appropriate staff to ensure communication with all parties from design of a project through construction and completion.
- Conducts field reviews on an ongoing basis during the construction process to ensure that construction is on schedule, proper safety requirements are followed, and the project is being constructed in accordance with the plans and specifications.
- Acts as the Contract Administrator for Parks and Recreation, Facilities Maintenance Contracts
- Performs related work as required
may be required to work during a declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine who will be required to work. PHYSICAL STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The position involves walking for long periods, climbing, and standing for long periods. Employees many also sit for long periods of time
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The City of Fort Lauderdale is AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO) AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender (including identity or expression), marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or any other protected classification as defined by applicable law (except as limited by Personnel Rules, Collective Bargaining Agreements, or bona fide occupational qualifications).
In compliance with the Drug-Free Workplace
Act of 1988, the City of Fort Lauderdale is committed to providing a safe, quality-oriented and productive work environment consistent with the standards of the community in which it serves. Alcohol and drug abuse poses a threat to the health and safety of City's community builders and to the security of the City's equipment and facilities. For these reasons, the City is committed to the elimination of drug and alcohol use and abuse in the workplace.Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
protects qualified individuals with disabilities from employment discrimination. Under the ADA, a person has a disability if he has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity.The physical demands described within the job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job . In compliance with the ADA, the City of Fort Lauderdale will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. This description is subject to modification as the needs and requirements of the position change.JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
PREFERRED LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Have graduated from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in construction management, civil engineering or related field.
- Must possess at least one (1) year of experience in construction management, and/or public works engineering.
- Additional qualifying experience may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
1. Possession of a current License as a registered Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Florida or as a Certified Construction Manager (CCM) or Certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP), or LEED AP or Project Management Certification.HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATIONDepending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method.
Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants will be required to pass a medical examination, including drug screening, prior to appointment.
Per Chapter 295.07 of the Florida Statutes, veteran's preference points will be awarded for promotional exams only with regard to a veteran's first promotion after reinstatement or re-employment with the City from active duty service without exception. Proof of eligibility and the City's
( J-204 ) form must be submitted with application.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous