San Mateo County Health seeks leaders to join our integrated Health Department as head of one of our high performing clinical teams as a Supervising Physician. This is a full-time opportunity to oversee the excellent team work at one of the most desirable adult care team sites. The Innovative Care Clinic has led the way in performance improvement and care team development. This leader will be involved in quality improvement and program development as well as on-site clinical work and supervision of a large provider team.
The Innovative Care Clinic located on the main campus includes pharmacy, ancillary services and specialty care services within the same building. It has also led the way in our primary care transformation utilizing team-based concepts, embedded chronic care case management and a fully integrated behavioral health team. Daily improvement and engaged staff and providers take care of over 7000 patients.
The Innovative Care Clinic is part of San Mateo Medical Center, a fully accredited acute/long term care/teaching hospital whose vision is to help every patient live the healthiest life possible. We are a truly integrated health care delivery system offering primary care, specialty, ancillary, inpatient, long term care and emergency services connected through a unified leadership structure and integrated IT systems.
San Mateo County Health has adopted a philosophy and practice of excellence called LEAP (Learn, Engage, Aspire, Perfect -as a verb), adapted from "Lean," which is a way to engage everyone in the organization to create value for our clients. San Mateo Medical Center seeks a leader who will wholeheartedly embrace and model principles for operational excellence--including leading with humility, thinking about the whole system, creating value for clients, and respecting every individual. We use lean Lean/LEAP methodology as the core of all our improvement work, and we strive to create a community of engaged problem solvers.
Some additional benefits: Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package which includes flexible scheduling options, retirement plans and health benefits for retirees, additional 5% increase in salary for each qualifying board certification up to two (2) Boards, strong leadership training, and additional administrative leave benefits.
The ideal candidate
will have demonstrated skill and success in all or most of the following areas:
- Communication and Consensus Building: Has had experience bringing diverse viewpoints and stakeholders together successfully to accomplish goals and commands the trust and respect of others.
- Vision, Initiative, and Innovation: Has a keen interest in team based care and creating a positive patient experience and has demonstrated innovation and initiative in realizing that vision.
- Project Management and Teamwork: Has overseen and led complex projects and coordinated interdisciplinary teams.
- Supervision and mentoring:Has significant experience in supervising and mentoring others.
- At least two years of experience as a physician in a primary care clinic, a minimum of six months of lead or supervisory experience overseeing a primary care clinic, including direct supervision of licensed staff.
- Must be Board Certified in Family Practice, Internal Medicine, or a related area
Examples Of Duties
- Direct and administer a medical or public health program.
- Provide clinical supervision and direction to all levels of medical/professional staff including assigning, directing, and monitoring work.
- Develop and monitor adherence to medical policies, procedures and protocols.
- Provide consultation services.
- Advise community physicians regarding public health treatment and practices.
- Train and supervise interns and residents.
- Coordinate the work of consulting physicians.
- Conduct comprehensive medical histories and physical examinations.
- Prescribe and administer treatment and medication as necessary.
- Develop standards of medical care for specialty area.
- Participate in in-service training programs.
- Supervise medical, professional, and technical and support staff; full supervision includes responsibility for selection, performance evaluation, and corrective action.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications Knowledge of:
- Health care management practices and principles including revenue retrieval.
- Current developments, trends and research in a medical specialty.
- Principles and practices of supervision.
- Development of medical policies, procedures and protocols.
- Preparation of comprehensive reports and other correspondence.
- Pharmacology and psychopharmacology including laws regarding informed consent, dosage ranges, drug incompatibilities, and side effects.
- Laws, statues, codes, and regulations related to the specialty area which govern health service providers, and JCAHO and other regulatory requirements.
- Advanced principles, practices, and techniques of general medicine and its application.
- Medical diagnosis and treatment.
Education and Experience:
- Direct medical programs.
- Clinically supervise and provide lead direction to medical/professional staff, including physicians.
- Fully supervise staff, including selection, performance evaluation, and corrective action.
- Prepare comprehensive reports and correspondence.
- Apply principles of effective management techniques.
- Diagnose patients and prescribe treatment or therapy in the designated specialty area.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, their families, hospital staff, community organizations and others.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing with individuals within the County or at any level within the Health Services Department.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
Three years of experience in the designated medical specialty. Board Certification or eligibility for certification in Family Practice, Internal Medicine, or a related area is highly desirable. Licensure/Certification:
- License to practice medicine or osteopathy in the State of California.
Application/Examination Open & Promotional. Anyone may apply.
Current County of San Mateo and County of San Mateo Superior Court of California employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five (5) points added to their final passing score on this examination. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the County of San MateoHuman Resources Department.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (pass/fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification . All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California and applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT
:Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the"Apply"
button. If you are not on the County's website, please go tohttps://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date. RECRUITMENTSCHEDULE Apply immediately. This is a continuous recruitment and is open until filled. Selections may be made at any time within the process.At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs.
The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact: Carolyn Burns (121219) (Supervising Physician -