The Superior Court of California, County of San Mateo is seeking qualified candidates for multiple full-time Court Reporter
positions. The court's mission is to apply the law fairly to protect individual freedom and to promote the welfare of the people. Join us in meeting our goal of continuing to find innovative ways to conduct business and provide essential court services to our community. Apply today!
Court Reporters stenotype a verbatim record of courtroom proceedings and provide general support to the assigned judge related to the official record. Court Reporters work in any court department, including but not limited to, arraignment calendars, family law, civil and criminal trials, law and motion, juvenile, and preliminary hearings, in any of the court's three locations throughout San Mateo County.
The ideal candidate
for the Court Reporter position has experience transcribing a full range of courtroom proceedings, is familiar with real time reporting, and possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Certification and/or experience with real time reporting is highly desired. The Court offers differential pay of 10% for employees with real time state certification or 5% for real time court certification.
Please visit http://www.sanmateocourt.org/
for more information on our organization.
NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help and regular classified vacancies.
Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Attend courtroom sessions to record court proceedings
- Prepare verbatim transcripts of court proceedings including testimony, objections, rulings, pleas, and sentences
- Read aloud Court reporting notes at the request of the Court
- Certify the accuracy of Court transcripts
- Prepare indexes of witnesses and exhibits and file official transcripts with the Court
- Operate a variety of office equipment including computers and printers
- Respond to requests and inquiries from litigants
- Perform related duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Valid Certified Shorthand Reporter License issued by the State of California.
- Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.
- Methods and techniques of courtroom procedures
- Laws, regulations, and judicial procedures related to court reporting
- Legal, medical, professional, and technical terminology used in a courtroom setting
- Records management practices and procedures, including indexing and cross-indexing
- Correct English usage, including grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Principles and techniques for dealing with the public, often when relations may be strained
- Transcribe a full range of courtroom proceedings
- Operate courtroom stenotype equipment
- Use standard office equipment, such as a personal or on-line computer
- Organize and prioritize work, meet critical time deadlines, and coordinate multiple activities
- Deal tactfully and effectively with a variety of individuals
- Exercise initiative and sound independent judgment within established guidelines
- Organize and maintain accurate files and records
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
This recruitment is being conducted by the County of San Mateo for the Superior Court of California, San Mateo County. This position is with the Superior Court of California, San Mateo County.
Responses to the Training and Experience Evaluation
supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of a scored relevant Training and Experience (T&E) evaluation based solely on the candidates' responses to the supplemental questions (weight: 100%). Candidates who receive a passing score on the T&E evaluation will be placed on an eligible list in rank order, determined by the score attained from the evaluation of the training and experience. The top candidates from the eligible list will be forwarded to the hiring department for an interview, which is the basis for final selection.
Because of this screening process, applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the next phase of the examination process. Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.NOTE:
The detailed information you provide in the supplemental questionnaire should be consistent with the information in your standard County application and resume. All information provided is subject to verification.IMPORTANT
: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org/
Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.Recruitment Schedule:
This is a continuous recruitment. As applications are received they will be reviewed and the Training and Experience Evaluation will be scored.
Interviews will be scheduled for those candidates who pass the Training and Experience Evaluation with high scores, indicating strong qualifications for the position. Because this is a continuous recruitment these positions could be filled at any time. We encourage to apply immediately in order to be considered for these excellent opportunities.
The Superior Court of California, County of San Mateo is an Equal Opportunity Employer
, and we encourage applications from candidates who will contribute to our diversity.
Please Note: The County is conducting this recruitment for the Superior Court. This position is with the Superior Court of California.
Analyst: Chet Overstreet (02092021) (Court Reporter - X064)