Working Title Police Officer (Up to 3 positions)
Classification Title Police Officer
Responsible for the enforcement of all California State laws and University policies. Provide crime prevention by safeguarding University and personal property through motorized and foot patrol of assigned areas. Obtain evidence, apprehend violators, perform arrests and appear in courts as a witness. Enforce all posted University speed regulations using police radio patrol cars, respond to all radio calls or disturbances, assist in transporting the ill and injured as required. Investigate and make appropriate reports on accidents, property damage, fires, law violations and disturbances of the peace occuring on campus.
FLSA Non-Exempt - This position is covered by health benefits, and is non-exempt, (eligible for overtime compensation) according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Classification Salary Range
$4,963 - $7,669 monthly
Hiring Range $4,963 - $5,963 monthly
Salary Grade/Range N/A
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent? No
Regular or Temporary Regular
Full Time or Part Time Full Time
Pay Plan 12
Work Hours Varies; irregular shifts, to include evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. Must be able to work any shift in a 24/7 schedule.
The mission of the Sacramento State Police Department is to protect the life, property, and peace of mind of the students, faculty, staff, and visitors of this university.
Our greatest asset in furtherance of this mission is our Department members who work as a combined force in collaboration with the campus community.
Our Department adheres to the highest standards of ethics, integrity, and service, understanding our collective responsibility in upholding the noble reputation of the law enforcement profession.
Our highest objective is to provide an environment free of criminality where the future leaders of our society can learn and prosper.
For more information about the Sacramento State Police Department, please visit: www.csus.edu/police
Knowledge and Abilities:
• Valid California driver's license.
• Working knowledge of current law enforcement methods and procedures.
• Working knowledge of current criminal codes and laws.
• Effective interpersonal skills to resolve a wide variety of sensitive situations.
• Effective oral and written communication skills, including writing clear and comprehensive reports.
• Demonstrated ability to think and act effectively in emergency and sensitive situations.
Education and Experience:
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Successful completion of a P.O.S.T. certified training program, including obtaining a Basic Course Certificate.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
1. Ability to operate state vehicles and various police-oriented equipment.
2. Ability to work cooperatively with various levels of faculty, staff, students, and outside agencies.
3. Ability to communicate and perform duties effectively in a professional manner during situations that may rapidly evolve.
4. Ability to maintain tact and sensitivity.
5. Organizational skills.
6. Ability to work with a diverse environment.
7. Must meet all employment requirements established by P.O.S.T. and State Law.
8. California Basic P.O.S.T. Certificate Required or P.O.S.T. Academy Graduate.
9. Experience as a police officer in an academic setting.
10. AA degree/60 units desirable, and must have been awarded 6 semester units or 9 quarter units of job related college credit at date of hire or within 24 months thereafter.
California Basic P.O.S.T. Certificate Required or P.O.S.T. Academy Graduate.
Valid California Driver's License and maintenance of safe driving record required.
Is Background Check Required Yes
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S..
Hiring Preference Not Applicable
Conflict of Interest
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/index.html.
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/Information%20for%20Job%20Applicants.html.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification. For additional information, visit http://www.csus.edu/aba/police/.
Posting Number AS0845P
Number of Vacancies 3
Open Date 01/14/2021
Open Until Filled Yes
Priority Application Deadline 01/28/2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please provide proof of licensure - proof of POST certificate (basic) and/or proof of POST graduation, and proof of valid California Driver's License. These items must be uploaded as a single document.
This recruitment is open until filled. Priority application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, January 28, 2021.
Some applicants may qualify for a waiver from assessment center testing, or portion(s) thereof. Applicants moving forward in the process will be notified of their status in this regard.
This recruitment will create an eligibility list that will be active through June 30, 2021. Conditional offers may be made at any time until that date.
Candidate(s) selected for the position will need to successfully pass the thorough background check completed by the Sacramento State Police Department before a conditional offer is made.
Final appointment is contingent upon successfully passing the P.O.S.T Police medical examination and psychological screening.
Contact Name Employment Services
Contact Phone 916-278-6326
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* What is the highest level of education attained?
High School Diploma
* Do you possess a valid California Driver's License?
* Do you have a valid California Basic POST certificate and/or are you a POST academy graduate?
Documents Needed To Apply
Proof of Licensure
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled