Roanoke County is recruiting for a Fire and Rescue Chief!
For more information please visit www.roanokecountyva.gov/FRChief
The Roanoke County Fire & Rescue Chief, appointed by and under the direction of the County Administrator, is responsible for all aspects of fire and emergency medical service operations in the County. The Chief provides executive level leadership and is responsible for planning, directing and managing all programs and functions of the department including but not limited to: personnel, vehicle and equipment maintenance, safety and training, emergency response in all service areas, records and reporting requirements, program development, and planning and budgeting. The Fire & Rescue Chief also plans, evaluates, recommends, implements, controls and directs the fire and emergency service functions of the department under the broad direction provided by applicable laws, policies, ordinances, rules and regulations adopted by the County, the state or other authorities.
Major duties of the position include:
- Emergency Management and coordination through in-depth knowledge of the Incident Command System;
- Developing and maintaining open, and productive, lines of communication with personnel at all levels as well as with volunteers;
- Financial planning and budgeting with a specific emphasis on the aggressive and successful pursuit of state and federal grant opportunities as well as the successful administration of grant funding;
- Providing oral and written presentations on behalf of the department to the County Administrator, the Board of Supervisors, citizens, public and private agencies, community groups, and the media;
- Coordinating with appropriate internal and external agencies to develop strong mutual aid agreements and ensure mitigation of emergency incidents;
- Planning for long-term department staffing, training, equipment and facility demands;
- Engaging and interacting with department staff through staff meetings and visits to various fire stations;
- Leading, planning, organizing, evaluating, and coordinating the development and implementation of policies and procedures in accordance with applicable state laws and county ordinances;
- Assuring personal and departmental compliance with all applicable laws, ordinances, certifications, regulations, and standards of good business practice in all department activities and endeavors;
- Leading, planning, organizing, evaluating, directing and coordinating the work of subordinate personnel in conducting fire, rescue and related emergency service functions in collaboration and cooperation with other county departments and neighboring communities;
- Responding to emergency incidents and assuming direct command of large-scale operations;
- Managing the recruitment, training and certification functions of the department;
- Providing for accurate record keeping and ensuring training, safety, certification, incident and other necessary records and reports are complete and up to date;
- Preparing and supervising development and management of the department’s annual budget;
- Researching and developing recommendations and implementing approved operational policies, expenditures, plans and administrative matters as they affect the operation of the department;
- Supervising the County’s fire inspection and related fire safety programs;
- Ensuring that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA and county and state safety standards and policies.
For more information and to apply for the position please visit www.roanokecountyva.gov/FRChief