Department of Global Studies and Maritime Affairs (GSMA)
FULL-TIME TENURE TRACK
Approximate Starting Date: August 2021
Although this position will remain open until filled, review of applications will begin immediately. Applicants expecting to be considered for the Assistant Professor position must complete their online application and submit requested materials to Human Resource by close of business day on February 15, 2021 to receive priority consideration.
The Department of Global Studies and Maritime Affairs (GSMA) at California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor commencing in the Fall 2021. The Department seeks broadly trained applicants in transdisciplinary security studies. Applicants should also be prepared to teach a variety of foundational courses in political science (e.g., International Relations, U.S. Foreign Policy, Comparative Politics, International Political Economy) as well as security studies. While a focus on cyber security is highly desirable, candidates with a background in environmental security, human security, and critical infrastructure security are very encouraged to apply.
Applicants should hold a Ph.D. in Political Science, Security Studies, International Relations or a closely related field. Individuals with prior professional experience in cybersecurity, diplomacy, and intelligence are highly encouraged to apply. Applications from ABD candidates will be considered.
ABOUT CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY (Cal Maritime): Located on a compact but scenic waterfront campus in Vallejo, California (30 miles northeast of San Francisco), California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) is a unique and specialized campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system. Serving a population of approximately 1100 undergraduate and 50 graduate students, we are one of only seven degree-granting maritime academies in the United States - and the only one on the West Coast. Cal Maritime offers six baccalaureate degrees in Business Administration, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs (GSMA), Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, and Marine Transportation. The undergraduate curriculum includes licensing programs for future merchant marine, coast guard and naval reserve officers. Cal Maritime also offers a Master of Science in Transportation and Engineering Management degree. For more information about California State University Maritime Academy, please visit our web page at http://www.csum.edu.
Our programs focus on intellectual learning, applied technology, leadership development, and global awareness. Cal Maritime students participate in training cruises aboard the Training Ship Golden Bear or other international educational experiences - gaining a unique perspective on our increasingly global culture and economy. Cal Maritime is committed to being a leading educational institution recognized for excellence in the business, engineering, operations, security and policy of the transportation industries of the Pacific Rim and beyond. We are equally committed to hiring and retaining diverse and dedicated faculty and staff who lead the way in helping our students expand their knowledge and potential.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Teach foundational undergraduate courses in political science
• Teach undergraduate courses in security studies, and maritime security studies
• Develop courses in cyber security, environmental security, human security and/or other security related fields specific to the vision and growth of both the GSMA major and evolving interdisciplinary programs
• Engage in research and scholarship on issues relevant to security
• Share in the duties of academic advising
• University service
• Doctoral degree or ABD in political science, security studies, international/global studies, government, regional studies, law or other related fields
• Pedagogical versatility with demonstrated ability in the use of teaching techniques that ensure both student engagement and active learning
• Strong written and communication skills
• Commitment to transdisciplinary collaboration
• Understanding of the evolving importance of cyberspace and the issues facing civilian, military, intelligence and private business sectors in dealing with offensive and defensive cyber activity;
• Experience with real-time online conflict simulation experiments.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested parties must submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application packet of information requested below. Apply on-line at http://www.csum.edu/web/hr/fel
1. Cal Maritime Employment Application (required)
2. Letter of interest
3. Curriculum Vitae
4. Teaching Evaluations
5. Letters of recommendation from three professional references to be sent directly to Dr. Assis Malaquias (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
SALARY COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with the education, qualifications and experience of the individual.
BENEFITS: An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available for "qualifying" positions which includes medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, retirement plans, fee waiver, vacation and sick leave.
• The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
• Typical classroom and office environment are in a two-story building with elevator access.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK:
• Applicants must provide proof of US citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days from the date of hire.
• A background check investigation (including criminal records check) is required prior to employment. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of a current CSU employees who was conditionally offered the position.
• Applicants must submit on hire official documentation as proof of degree, license, or certificates as required.
TITLE IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at on the CSU Title IX website.
EEO STATEMENT: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at (707) 654-1146.
DISCLAIMER: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or changed.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled