DESCRIPTIONAccepting online applications only. Apply online 24 hours a day, beginning March 2, 2018. Filing will remain open until vacancies are filled. Filing may close without further notice. **Updated** - City Council Approved Salary Increase, effective 4/25/2020 Effective October 1, 2020 through September 30, 2021, current salary ranges may be impacted by the city-wide furlough. EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Under general supervision, receives and dispatches emergency (911) and non-emergency calls for police or fire and emergency medical service; enters data into a computer terminal while questioning callers for information; determines nature, validity and disposition of calls; may provide post dispatch medical instructions; utilizes computer generated messages and priorities to dispatch field units to emergency situations; operates a variety of communications equipment including radios, accessories and telephones; performs call reception and dispatch activities utilizing computer-aided dispatch system; answers or refers inquiries and complaints regarding a wide variety of public safety and related matters; accesses, retrieves, and transmits vehicular or incident information to field units; relays relevant situational information to non-city enforcement or public safety agencies; may provide training for dispatchers and participate in evaluation of their performance; may act in a variety of dispatch supervisory positions; performs other related duties as required.REQUIREMENTS TO FILE Applicants must meet either option A or B: A.
Possession of a California P.O.S.T. Dispatcher certificate (proof required)*. OR B.
Possession of a recognized Emergency Medical Dispatcher certificate (proof required)*. Applicants must also meet all of the following requirements:
*Required documents, such as a keyboarding certificate, must be uploaded to the online application at the time of filing. Any proofs submitted must contain either the applicant's name or other identifying characteristics on the form
- Two years paid, (full-time equivalent) of current or recent (within 12 months) experience as a public safety dispatcher with a public agency.
- Ability to demonstrate keyboarding skills at 35 wpm; candidates must submit proof of acceptable keyboarding certification (proof required)*.
- Willingness to work any shift assignment and work mandatory holidays, weekends and overtime
- Ability to handle a high volume of emergency and non-emergency calls with tact, good judgment, initiative and speed; question callers while simultaneously typing information into a computer terminal; speak English clearly and understandably; comprehend, interpret and retain written and orally presented information effectively i.e., read, memorize, interpret and apply policies and procedures, State Penal Code, FCC regulations, charts and maps.
- Ability to pass a thorough background investigation, polygraph examination and psychological evaluation conducted by the Long Beach Police Department. The investigation will include information regarding relatives, references, acquaintances, educational background, residential history, employment history, military service records, financial status, legal history, drug use and related areas.
. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Bilingual skills in English/Spanish or English/Southeast Asian languagesSELECTION PROCEDURE
Effective April 1, 2020, the Civil Service Department will continue to accept and receive keyboarding skills certificate from an approved government, employment or training agency recognized by the Civil Service Department and obtained during the past 12 months; this will also include an online keyboarding skills certificate** for the position of Public Safety Dispatcher. (**via 5 minute typing test).
This is a continuous examination. All applicants meeting the requirements to file will be placed on the eligible list, with those receiving Veteran's credit first, and then in the order in which applications are filed. Eligible lists will be established periodically. For candidates meeting all requirements to file the following examination components will be waived: Keyboarding Test and Performance Test. For additional information please read information packet by clicking on the following link: Public Safety Dispatcher Information Packet.
In support of the City's Language Access Policy, bilingual skills (Spanish, Khmer and/or Tagalog) are desirable for some positions interacting with the public.If you have not received notification of the status of your application within two weeks of filing, please contact the Civil Service Department at (562) 570-6202.
This information is available in an alternative format by request at (562) 570-6202. If special accommodation is desired, please contact the Civil Service Department two (2) business days prior to the test at (562) 570-6202. For hearing impaired, call (562) 570-6638.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.Closing Date/Time: Continuous