Job Summary Relocating? Explore all that Mohave County has to offer at: h ttp://www.mohavedevelopment.org/liveandplay/live-play/ *Mohave County is currently recruiting for the position of Community Health Education Specialist Senior in Public Health located in Kingman, Az* This position may be underfilled as a Community Health Education Specialist II with a requirement of meeting the minimum qualifications of a Community Health Education Specialist Senior successfully within two(2) years, for continued employment
*This is a Grant Funded Position.
- Community Health Education Specialist II: Range 15, Step 1-4: $20.48 - $23.71
Performs professional journey level work involved in the coordination and administration of projects related to a variety of public health education grant programs to include but not limited to health, exercise, sports science, tobacco use prevention, and other issues as may be defined by the grant program. Work includes planning, developing, implementing and evaluating county-wide public health assessments, education, prevention and intervention programs, and responsibility for the proper care of clients referred for health and intervention programs. REPORTS TO
Work is performed under direction of a higher level of authority with latitude for independent judgment and work is reviewed and evaluated by superiors through results obtained. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
Exercises direct immediate to general supervision of assigned professionals. May exercise technical or functional supervision in absence of higher level of authority as assigned.Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- An employee in this class series is responsible for the direct supervision of assigned professionals and the activities within an assigned area and may be responsible to perform or participate in any or all duties and responsibilities required of the assigned area.
- Supervises, coordinates and performs a variety of administrative staff work in areas of the County health education programs including prevention and education services, counseling, and training.
- This work includes: scheduling; maintaining records; responding to requests for information or services; performing related administrative, planning and research activities; and preparing correspondence, reports, statistical information and budget materials.
- Coordinates and presents a variety of workshops designed to educate the public on health, exercise, sports science, tobacco use prevention and other issues as may be defined by the grant program and the prevention of illness, disease and injury.
- Provides prevention and intervention counseling services for individuals; refers individuals to appropriate County or outside agency for assistance.
- Coordinates and organizes collaborated community-wide task forces to address and assess local needs as they related to health issues.
- Completes performance evaluations; makes hiring recommendations; recommends disciplinary actions; approves vacations and time off; prepares work schedules and assignments; supervises the activities of assigned personnel monitors reports and record keeping activities filed by assigned personnel for completeness, accuracy, and adherence to policy and procedure guidelines; instructs personnel in departmental policies, procedures and techniques; and provides technical assistance and training for assigned subordinates.
- Plans and implements programming as it relates to contract requirements.
- Coordinates with subcontractors to ensure program compliance, accurate reports, and program evaluation.
- Administers and recommends revisions to contracts.
- Monitors contracted staff for compliance to contract requirements.
- Acts as liaison between Mohave County Tobacco Use Prevention Program (McTupp), Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS), and other agencies throughout the county and state.
- Documents, collects and interprets data for reporting to state and federal agencies; liable for accuracy of statistical data in state and federal reporting.
- Interprets program goals while monitoring compliance with state, federal and local policies and procedures, regulations and division rules.
- Identifies funding sources and prepares grant proposals for submission.
- Answers questions and provides information to the public; conducts community outreach services to include preparing articles and providing interviews for mass media publication.
- Participates in community task forces/committees and special events.
- Create and maintain a supportive work environment with other departments and community programs, Public Health divisions, and Public Health leadership on accreditation domain while maintaining a culture of quality improvement.
- Apply basic principles, practices, techniques, teaching, and communication methods related to the age, gender, race/ethnicity, educational level and socioeconomic status of community members.
- Communicate and act in a cultural competent and professional manner maintaining cooperative relationships with community members, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Health, Health Education or field direclty related to the area to which assigned.
- Three (3) years of experience working with the public in the public health education field.
- Three (3) years of experience as a supervisor.
- OR an equivalent combination of experience, education and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Willing to attain additional knowledge in the health education field and area to which assigned through reading of health-related information and materials and attending training and educational classes.
- Health education and/or exercise/sports science, physical assessment and health appraisals, techniques and skills. Some assignments may require specialized knowledge specific to the area of assignment such as exercise/sports science, physical assessment and health appraisals, techniques and skills or tobacco use prevention/education/intervention techniques and skills.
- Principles, practices, and services related to public health and the specific area to which assigned (i.e. tobacco prevention, exercise and sports science, etc.)
- Methods and theory of education, individual and group-process counseling.
- Research, analysis, evaluation and reporting techniques.
- Budgetary and financial procedures, grantsmanship and data processing applications.
- Principles and practices of administration, supervision, training, and evaluation.
- Departmental policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Department policies, rules and procedures.
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulation.
- Effectively operating and utilizing of a variety of laboratory equipment and other equipment used in a health service area.
- Effectively operating a variety of office equipment to include: computer keyboard; typewriter; fax transmittal; and copiers.
- Communicating and maintaining professionalism with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
WORKING CONDITIONS/ PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Develop, plan, implement and evaluate community health education and prevention programs.
- Set priorities, assign, schedule, train, supervise, and evaluate work activities and to persuade assigned personnel effectively.
- Understand, interpret and apply pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations regarding public education/prevention programs to include departmental procedures and requirements.
- Compile and analyze data and prepare reports.
- Make decisions in accordance with established policies and regulations.
- Deal with problems which may be controversial or sensitive in nature.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with the community, coworkers, supervisors, health professionals and clients.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records and documentation.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulation.
- Work is subject to varying post or job site assignments and may be subject to call-back or on-call status and irregular schedules to include completion of work assignments on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Work is also subject to traveling and irregular hours in order to perform work assignments.
- Work also includes the occasional moderate lifting of 25 - 50 lbs. and is subject to possible exposure to contaminated or infectious materials and samples encountered in a health service area.
- Some assignments include the presentation and participation in exercise programs.
Regular contact with associate personnel, other county departments, other agencies, and the general public to provide public health education, identify and generate new funding of grants, exchange information, provide explanation, give advice in reference to available services and resolve issues and complaints.