- Performs the full range of technical field and office duties associated with land surveying, construction surveying and global positioning system data gathering and layout activities. May work as a skilled technician on a survey team, or may work independently under general supervision. May direct the work of a survey crew or team on a project or relief basis.
(Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following)
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Education and Experience:
- May set up, calibrate and operate, complex surveying equipment to make preliminary, control, monument, construction, topographic, municipal and related surveys.
- May verify work plans and field notes from engineers for completeness and accuracy.
- Computes coordinates, bearings, distances and angles. Computes and reviews traversed closures.
- May perform a variety of duties in support of the City GPS/GIS data collection programs.
- May prepare detailed maps, sketches, field notes, diaries and other records and logs associated with surveying activities.
- May inventory and restock the survey vehicle with materials daily. Organizes and cleans the survey vehicle and materials as needed.
- May load and unload the Survey vehicle with survey equipment each day.
- May Set up traffic safety and control devices at the work site to ensure the safety of the crew; may act as a flag person to ensure traffic control and crew safety.
- Sets grade stakes, monuments and other markers, using hand and power tools.
- May work independently or provide direction and training to a crew or staff on a project or relief basis.
- May use standard office equipment including a computer with specialized CAD, survey related and office suite software in the course of the work.
- May research records regarding lands to be surveyed, ownership and other information.
- May apply survey knowledge and information to reduce field notes to create drawings, plans and topographic maps for various public works, engineering and City projects using the appropriate methods and materials.
- May participate in the preparation of legal descriptions and plat maps for right-of-way or public acquisitions including easements, abandonments, lease parcels and other real property needs.
- May prepare for review, records of survey, plats, maps, displays and exhibits.
- May review submittals of land surveying maps, plats, plans and documents including engineering plans for the technical correctness of land divisions and development of roadways, flood control, underground utilities and other City and developer projects to improve construct ability and ensure compliance with applicable statutes and ordinances.
- May determine information to be collected from the field in order to accurately collect data.
- Records field data into data storage device and field books or for use by field and office personnel, and assures that field notes and sketches are sufficient to interpret recorded data.
- Ensures proper care and maintenance of survey equipment; transporting of equipment to prevent damage; performs tests on equipment to ensure accurate operating levels and that equipment meets specifications and design capabilities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Licenses and Certifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent and three or more years of related experience in land surveying activities. Additional post high school courses in advanced mathematics desirable.
- Must possess a valid state driver's license and maintain satisfactory motor vehicle record with the ability to obtain appropriate Nevada state driver's license within required time frame.
- A knowledge of topographic, design and construction surveying relating to Public Works projects.
- Experience using state of the art surveying equipment including electronic total stations, global positioning system equipment, modern computer systems and survey related software applications.
- Ability to operate complex surveying equipment required for field surveys.
- Safety standards, principles practices and equipment related to work.
- Performs complicated mathematical computations.
- Ability to read and interpret topographic maps and other maps, plats and plans to locate survey points and monumentation.
- People Group: Teamster Non Supervisor
- Grade: TNE-18
- Minimum Salary: 24.1
- Maximum Salary: 40.64
- Pay Basis: HOURLY