Please note, the closing date for this recruitment has changed to
Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 11:59 PM (PST).
Senior Project Manager, Planning & Design
(SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER)
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This recruitment is being held to establish an open eligible list to fill current and future Sr. Project Manager positions with this specialty. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange.DEADLINE TO APPLY
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately, as this recruitment will close on Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (PST.) OC COMMUNITY RESOURCES (OCCR)OC Community Resources
is a multi-faceted department comprised of OC Animal Care, OC Community Services, OC Housing, OC Parks and OC Public Libraries.OC PARKSOC Parks
encompasses regional, wilderness, and historical facilities, as well as coastal areas throughout the County of Orange in California.Featuring 60,000 acres of parkland, open space, and shoreline. Orange County's award-winning parks and programs are enjoyed by millions of residents and visitors each year, in ways as diverse as the parks themselves.THE OPPORTUNITY
The Senior Planning and Design Project Manager within OC Parks is responsible for developing and executing park planning and design projects under direct supervision of the OC Parks Planning and Design Manager. This position is in charge of day-to-day project responsibilities including consultant coordination and general team communication. The Sr. Project Manager provides oversight and guidance to other design and planning professionals and support staff to ensure quality work.
Key duties include preparing park planning and development documents, gathering and analyzing data, providing budgetary and policy guidance, managing staff positions, and managing multi-disciplinary teams of engineers, landscape architects, architects, planners, and environmental consultants.
Other duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
The position requires flexibility to travel throughout Orange County and attend evening and/or weekend meetings.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
- Provide technical design and planning assistance to field staff.
- Provide facilitation and manage project advisory committees.
- Conduct presentations at public meetings and facilitate public input.
- Create exhibits (sketches, diagrams and drawings) as necessary to communicate design intent.
- Provide design and technical guidance during project construction.
- Prepare project status reports and schedules.
The ideal candidate will possess a validLandscape Architect's license issued by the California Board of Architectural Examiners.The ideal candidate will also possess a Bachelor's degreeor higher in architecture, landscape architecture, engineering, construction technology, construction management, design, or construction of civil/public works, or related field with five (5) or more years of experience working with architect-engineers and other consultant teams and supervising landscape architects or architects.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge and/or experience in the following core competencies:TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
LEADERSHIPAND MANAGEMENT SKILLS
- Working professional experience in a variety of planning and design project types and scales
- Providing technical oversight and manage high-profile park development planning and capital improvement projects
- Applying fundamental landscape architectural planning, design, construction, and/or trade practices to specific projects
- Understanding and application of accessibility design standards (Americans with Disabilities Act requirements), low impact development practices, sustainable design, drought tolerant landscape and irrigation design, habitat restoration, and arboriculture
- Applying knowledge and literacy in the use of landscape architecture and project management application software such as geographical information system (GIS), computer-aided design (CAD), and graphics/design visualization applications
- Applying strong skills with software related to word processing and graphics, spreadsheets, schedules, statistical analysis, and geographic analysis
ANALYSIS AND PROBLEM SOLVING
- Developing and leading a professional workforce
- Managing project scope, schedule, and budget and providing recommendations if issues arise
- Leading project team and coordinating with stakeholders from project concept to completion
- Guiding design teams to create designs for safe, accessible, aesthetically pleasing, and functional park facilities and improvements
- Assisting executive management in developing departmental business objectives and specific project strategies
- Providing leadership and guidance to internal and contracted staff to achieve project and developmental goals that are aligned with overall business objectives
- Understanding and addressing customer needs within the guidelines of policy
- Making sound decisions within a professional ethical framework
PLANNING AND ORGANIZATION
- Understanding, interpreting and enforcing compliance with plans, specifications, schedules and contract provisions
- Recognizing problems of project scope, budget, schedule, plans, and specifications and determine necessary changes
- Researching, evaluating, estimating and accurately interpreting and applying technical data and policy information to solve problems and/or make recommendations to management
COMMUNICATION AND WRITING SKILLS
- Planning and organizing work effectively to ensure that assignments are on schedule
- Completing assignments on time and within budget and policy
- Working collaboratively with leaders, members of the community, and with other staff members within the office and in other disciplines
- Initiating documentation to start the Agenda Staff Report process for projects requiring Board of Supervisors approval
- Building consensus and negotiating with public and private parties
- Negotiating and managing competitive bidding processes for complex contracts
- Presenting ideas in a clear, logical and concise manner
- Communicating in an effective manner to individuals and/or groups with diverse interests including contractors and departmental representatives
for the complete classification description for Sr. Project Manager including the physical, mental, environmental, and working conditions.RECRUITMENT PROCESSVeterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please clickhere
to review the policy.Application Screening| (Refer/Non-Refer)
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen applications and supplemental responses for qualifications that meet minimum qualifications, are highly desirable, and are most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Written Examination | Multiple Choice(Refer/Non-Refer)
A written examination consisting of job-related, multiple-choice questions will be administered in a virtual setting.Only the highest scoring candidates will move forward to the next step in the recruitment process.Performance Examination & Structured Oral Interview (SOI)
Candidates will be evaluated based on practical job exercises and responses to structured questions designed to elicit the candidate's qualifications for the job.Only the highest scoring candidates will be placed on the eligible list.Eligible List
Once the assessment has been completed,HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for current and future vacancies.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified.
Candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION EMAIL NOTIFICATION:Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Vanessa Rosas
at 714.480.2867or Vanessa.Rosas@occr.ocgov.com.
Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: 12/1/2020 11:59 PM Pacific