The City of Fort Lauderdale community builders possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers. PLEASE READ THE JOB ANNOUNCEMENT FOR APPLICATION SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTS
The City of Fort Lauderdale's Police Officers are responsible for maintaining peace and safety, protecting life and property, and promoting community engagement and trust. Fort Lauderdale Police Officers serve a highly diverse multicultural community.NOTE
: The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description.
This job classification is included within the bargaining unit represented by the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) and therefore is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and the FOP.REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR SUBMITTING ON-LINE APPLICATION 1. POLICE OFFICER CERTIFICATION (FDLE; FEDERAL OR CURRENT STATE POLICE OFFICER CERTIFICATION WITH COPY OF ACADEMY CURRICULUM)
2. BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND/OR NATURALIZATION PAPERS
3. HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR CERTIFICATE OF EQUIVALENT EDUCATION IF APPLICABLE4. COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT
5. CURRENT DRIVER'S LICENSE HISTORY
6. PRE-JOB OFFER QUESTIONNAIRE - ( CLICK HERE FOR LINK TO PJQ )
7. DD214 MILITARY RELEASE FORM - MEMBER 4 COPY (if applicable)
8. CITY OF FORT LAUDERDALE VETERAN'S PREFERENCE CLAIM FORM (if applicable)( Form J204 )
*9. BASIC MOTOR SKILLS TEST (BMST) - Physical Agility
*10. SWIM TEST
*FOR OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS-
Proof of successful completion of PAT and SWIM is not required with the application, however candidates must successfully complete all of these exams prior to the date of hire. An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form ( J204 ).JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT To apply for employment as a Certified Police Officer, you must:
1. Be a United States citizen (U.S. born or naturalized).
2. Have a U.S. high school education, General Education Development (GED) or equivalent, which includes United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) tests. Equivalence of Non-U.S. education must be approved by the State of Florida's Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission ( If a degree was acquired in a country other than the United States, evidence of equivalence from a recognized agency must be provided.)
3. Be at least 21 years of age.
4. Must have completed at least sixty (60) semester credit hours toward an Associate's degree or higher from an accredited private or public institution that is accepted by the city, with a minimum G.P.A. of at least a 2.0. (Copy of transcript must be provided .) NOTE: a.
The college semester credit hour requirement may be waived for applicants with two years active duty U.S. Military service with an honorable discharge at time of hire or applicants currently serving in the U.S military reserve with an equivalent number of hours that equal two years of active duty service.b.
This requirement may also be waived for certified police officers with two (2) years of full-time police service (excluding time in the Police Academy.)
5. Possess a valid Florida driver's license or obtain within 30 days of appointment.
6. Must meet one of the requirements below:
a. Possess a valid Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) Police Officer Certification.
- Must provide copy of certification .
b. Possess a certification from another Federal or State Law Enforcement Agency and worked as a full-time Police Officer for at least one (1) year (excluding police academy training hours) - Must provide State certification and academy training curriculum.
c. Completed an Equivalency of Academy Training program approved by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. - Must provide copy of certification.
7. Must be able to successfully complete all City of Fort Lauderdale required pre-employment examination requirements.
8. Shall be non-user of tobacco products which include, but may not be limited to cigarettes, e-cigarettes or vapor cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco of any kind at all times (whether on or off duty).
For more detailed information regarding our requirements, CLICK HERE HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION POLICE OFFICER TESTING PROCESS
In addition to the minimum requirements, each applicant will be required to successfully complete the following testing requirements:
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR POLICE OFFICER APPLICANTS I. SALARY
- BASIC MOTOR SKILLS TEST (BMST) - Physical Agility
- SWIM TEST
- ORAL BOARD INTERVIEW
- POLYGRAPH EXAMINATION
- COMPREHENSIVE BACKGROUND CHECK
- PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION
- MEDICAL/PHYSICAL EXAMINATION
Experienced Police Officers will be paid as follows:
1 - 2.9 years of service $67,579.20 annually
3 - 4.9 years of service $70,241.60 annually
5 - 6.9 years of service $73,070.40 annually
7 - 8.9 years of service $75,712.00 annually
9 or more years of service $78,436.80 annually, plus liberal fringe benefitsII. WORKWEEK
Average workweek is forty (40) hours with overtime or compensatory time off (at time-and-one-half) for hours in excess of forty (40) hours in a standard workweek. After one (1) year of service with the City, a Police Officer may request preference for shift assignment once each calendar year. Such assignments are based upon departmental seniority and your preference. III. EQUIPMENT
All uniforms and required equipment are furnished by the department with the exception of the service weapon, shoes, handcuffs, and whistle. IV. BENEFITS Retirement
Police Officers are eligible for normal retirement after twenty (20) years of service computed at three (3%) percent per year up to a maximum of 75%. The retirement plan is supported by the City and is contributory on the part of the employee, who is required to contribute 10 percent (10 %) of his/her (pre-tax) gross salary. Post retirement pay step benefit of 3% every three years, starting after the third year of retirement. Vacation - Sick Leave - Hospitalization
Vacation is accrued at a rate of 120.12 hrs. per year; nine (9) paid holidays and three (3) personal holidays per year.
There is also sick leave benefit (with options to convert sick leave to vacation or cash.)
The Union will provide and administer a comprehensive group health and dental plan for all members of the Bargaining Unit.Tuition Refund
After one (1) year of service with the City, a Police Officer may participate in the Tuition Refund program for partial or full reimbursement of tuition for job-related college course work (based on grades).
Say "Hello" to the City of Fort Lauderdale and Say "Goodbye" to Your Student Loan!
That's right! Under the U.S. Department of Education's Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, the remaining balance on your student loan may be forgiven after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time at the City of Fort Lauderdale! Please visit www.fortlauderdale.gov/PublicServiceLoanForgiveness for more information or to see if you qualify. The City of Fort Lauderdale Police Department is one of the finest in the country, and as such, employs the best qualified applicants. During the examination process, emphasis is placed on a candidate's CHARACTER. Indications of your honesty and integrity begin with the submission of your application. All information provided on your application, and all other forms submitted for processing, must be true, accurate, and without omission, as well as in all other stages of the testing process. This is a critical component of the process in determining if the "Moral Character" of a candidate is appropriate for employment as a Police Officer. We will verify the information through various sources, including an intensive background investigation and a comprehensive polygraph examination.
Closing Date/Time: 2/26/2021 11:59 PM Eastern