The Solid Waste Management Division is responsible for the weekly collection of municipal solid waste, recyclables, and green waste from more than 113,000 residential customers producing approximately 1,046 tons of material each collection day.
The Division oversees recycling programs, outreach efforts, and various daily services ranging from Homeless Task Force duties to Contract Management of over 25 franchises and non-franchise agreements. The division is also responsible for long range planning and contract development for disposal, recycling, and organics programs. The introduction of new technologies will be critical to the handling of solid waste in the future, and the Solid Waste Manager will be responsible for leading and supporting those efforts.
The Department will value a strong leader who can effectively collaborate with staff and other divisions to accomplish its mission while successfully implementing new innovative procedures, equipment and technology. In addition, the ideal candidate should have a proven track record of successfully managing a solid waste and recycling operation of similar size and complexity.
SALARY: $7,696 - $9,376/month
FILING DEADLINE: midnight 11/3/2020
The Solid Waste Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing the activities of the Solid Waste Management Division. Under direction, the incumbent will develop and administer a comprehensive program with emphasis on residential solid waste collection, recycling, and refuse. In addition, the incumbent will oversee a wide variety of services such as litter control, operation clean-up and technical project management support.
The City of Fresno is seeking a dynamic leader and strong manager who is innovative, understand laws and regulations relating to the solid waste industry and refuse disposal, knowledgeable in route planning and time schedules, and municipal solid waste collections. The incumbent will provide leadership in the development and assessment of operational goals, drafting of policies, implementation of procedures, provide oversight of work plans and develop innovative approaches to empower employees to accomplish the division goals and mission. The incumbent will monitor operations and program performance in compliance with applicable regulatory standards, health and safety codes, and within cost-effective measures.
The Solid Waste Manager is a key member of the management team in the Department of Public Utilities and in this unclassified position the incumbent serves at the will of the Department Director.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
The City of Fresno offers an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package. Information regarding the City of Fresno is available at www.fresno.gov.
Unit 14, City of Fresno Management Employees Association
Qualified candidates must possess:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in engineering, sciences, administration, business or a related field and four (4) years of progressively responsible leadership and supervisory experience in the administration of a modern solid waste program which involved refuse collection, landfill operations and/or operation of a resource recovery facility. Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis, up to a maximum of two years;
- Associates Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in engineering, sciences, administration, business or a related field; and six (6) years of progressively responsible leadership and supervisory experience in the administration of a modern solid waste program which involved refuse collection, landfill operations and/or operation of a resource recovery facility;
- Possession of SWANA Certification in Integrated Solid Waste Systems Management and six (6) years of progressively responsible leadership; and supervisory experience in the administration of a modern solid waste program which involved refuse collection, landfill operations and/or operation of a resource recovery facility.
Possession of a valid California driver's license is required at time of appointment. Candidates considered for hire must provide proof of a valid driver's license and current copy of their driving record.
A copy of degree, college transcripts, and/ or SWANA Certification must be uploaded and included in your on-line application for verification of requirement. Applicants lacking the documentation may be rejected from further consideration.
The selected candidate will be required to successfully pass a Department of Justice fingerprint prior to employment with the City of Fresno.
In addition to the above, the following further describes the knowledge, skill, experience and attributes the ideal candidate for this position will possess:
- Strong Customer Relations skills
-Experience managing solid waste personnel and operations;
- Thorough knowledge of state and federal requirements for solid waste systems,
including rules, ordinances, regulations, and traffic laws;
- Thorough understanding of safety regulations and safe work practices;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of effective employee supervision;
- Initiative to drive and cultivate purposeful change with an emphasis on public service;
- Experience in preparing, evaluating, and analyzing various reports needed to monitor and measure the overall performance and effectiveness of the Division;
- Effective communication skills and the ability to work with various organized labor groups;
- Knowledge and experience with organized labor and related regulations and requirements;
- Skill in the assessment of solid waste training and development programs;
- Experience setting program goals and objectives, developing and administering operational budgets; and
- Computer literate and the ability to implement/utilize technology to improve operations.
Interested and qualified applicants must submit an official City of Fresno application on-line at www.fresno.gov/jobs, no later than November 3, 2020. For information on how to complete an on-line application, please view "Instruction Guide" on the City's website, Personnel Services Career Opportunities page, or call (559) 621-6950 for assistance. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed employment application.
A select group of qualified individuals will be invited to interview for this rewarding opportunity.
Inquiries should be directed to:
Trish Eichhorn, HR Analyst
2600 Fresno Street
Fresno, California 93721-3614
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.
The City of Fresno, CA is located in the heart of the state in the fertile San Joaquin Valley. From the agricultural fields on the valley floor to the snow-capped peaks of the Sierra Nevada mountain range, the Fresno area offers something for everyone. With a population of approximately 523,000 residents, Fresno is the fifth-largest city in California and serves as the financial, industrial, trade, and commercial capital of the central San Joaquin Valley.
Travel from Fresno to other major metropolitan areas in California is convenient. The City is located approximately four hours north of the Los Angeles basin and three hours south of the San Francisco Bay Area. Residents and visitors enjoy Fresno's close proximity to the Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia National Parks and other sites of natural beauty, such as the majestic Sierra Nevada Mountains and the Pacific Ocean. The Mediterranean climate in Fresno allows year-round recreational activities including sailing, snow and water skiing, fishing, backpacking, and golfing.
An added benefit of living in Fresno is the excellent housing that is available at price levels that are considerably lower than California's other large metropolitan areas. The current median home price in Fresno is approximately $266,672. The Fresno area offers four large school districts (Fresno Unified, Central Unified, Sanger Unified and Clovis Unified school districts), and a variety of private institutions offer excellent ongoing educational and enrichment opportunities. The community is the home of California State University Fresno, as well as a number of other colleges and universities.
Many consider Fresno to be a community of the perfect size, offering the best of urban amenities and opportunities along with the unique charms and easy living of a smaller town. Residents enjoy a wide variety of social, cultural, athletic, educational and recreational activities in an affordable and clean living environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Fresno is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Should you need a special accommodation during the application process due to a qualifying disability, please contact the Personnel Service Department at (559) 621-6950 prior to the filing deadline.