Job Summary The Mohave County Development Services Department is currently recruiting for a Combination Building Inspector I in the Building Division of the Bullhead City Office.
Performs work in building safety code inspections to assure compliance of new construction and alterations to existing construction with the adopted Mohave County Building Code and approved plans and specifications for the Building Division of the Development Services Department. REPORTS TO:
Initial on-the-job training is performed under immediate supervision of a higher level of authority; however, as skill and experience are gained in fulfilling routine duties, increasingly independent action and decisions in accordance with established procedures may be authorized. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
May provide technical mentoring to less experienced Combination Building Inspector I staff.Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Inspects new construction at various phases of completion to ensure compliance with the various codes and approved plans and specifications.
- Ensures compliance to codes and approved plans and specifications through inspection of single and multi-family residential, commercial and industrial buildings, alterations to existing structures, including remodeling, room additions, patio covers, etc., and inspects swimming pools, spas, propane heaters, gas lines, retaining walls, electric service and manufactured homes.
- Reviews construction and site plans to ensure that work is being done according to approved plans and ensures code compliance.
- Discusses changes with contractors and may authorize some code compliance alternatives.
- Issues approvals or rejections at each of the inspection phases.
- Issues correction notices for non-compliance to codes and deviations from approved plans and specifications. Issues notices for work being done without the necessary permits.
- Meets with contractors, homeowners, and others to discuss deficiencies and possible corrections and respond to inquiries of building inspection activities and code compliance.
- Investigates complaints and notifies higher level of authority of the results of the investigation to determine outcome of complaint.
- Maintains awareness of new and revised codes and construction methods and materials.
- Conducts fire damage inspections, dangerous buildings inspections, damage inspections following emergencies or disasters per FEMA requirements, and inspections of buildings being moved.
- Maintains records of inspections conducted, notices issued and updates permit records.
- Follows up on code violations to verify compliance.
- Investigates complaints and discusses problems with homeowners, contractors and others.
- Contacts utility companies with approvals so that utilities may be connected.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- High School Diploma/GED
- Four (4) years of applicable experience in the construction industry.
- OR an equivalent combination of experience, education and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Must pass drug screen post offer.
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Must provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Must possess or obtain and maintain International Code Council (ICC) certification as a Building Inspector within six (6) months of hire.
- Must possess or obtain additional International Code Council (ICC) certifications as a Residential or Commercial - Plumbing or Electrical Inspector within one (1) year of receiving Combination Building Inspector I certification.
- Structural standards and methods applicable to the work assignment.
- Materials and practices used in building construction trades and crafts and of the various stages of construction.
- County and state codes and ordinances related to structural construction and modification of residential, commercial and industrial buildings.
- Applicable building, plumbing, electrical, fire, mechanical and septic codes.
- Building materials and methods, mechanical and plumbing and electrical materials and methods.
- Department policies, rules and procedures
- Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulation.
- Safe, efficient use of measuring aids and tools used to perform inspections.
- Communicating and maintaining professionalism with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Plan and schedule work to accommodate the needs of contractors and property owners, to assure compliance with codes, standards and regulations and to avoid costly delays in the construction or modification process.
- Interpret and apply technical information encountered in the performance of responsibilities to include building codes, ordinances, plans, blueprints, diagrams and specifications.
- Detect discrepancies in plans, materials, and methods of construction and installation processes and suggest corrective actions.
- Work independently.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associate personnel, the general public, building contractors and related agencies, and County departments.
- Make accurate and detailed observations.
- Efficiently organize workload and schedule.
- Translate complex requirements into appropriate layman terms.
- Suggest alternatives or modifications which will bring construction into code compliance.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date records.
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.