Utilities Customer Service Representative City of Waco, TX 1 of 3 Utilities Customer Service Representative Office / Clerical 8640 Customer Service Supervisor Utilities 217 Non-Exempt Physical Type #1
Under basic supervision, performs customer service functions for clients of the Water Utility Services Department (WUSD).
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provides customer services for WUSD clients; processes new customers, payments, service requests, service charges and adjustments according to City policies and procedures.
• Prepares records and billing account updates, creates work orders, enters and verifies data, processes documents and transactions, resolves customer service issues and provides special customer services.
• Provides prompt, courteous and accurate service to the public with WUSD services questions, requests for information and complaints in order to maintain positive customer service relations.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work- related issues and City information.
• Perform other related and assigned duties as required.
• Driving is essential
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• City policies and procedures.
• City utility billing rules and procedures.
• Principles of record keeping, accounting and bookkeeping and records management.
• Customer service principles and methods.
• City and Microsoft software.
• Federal and state regulations, including applicable FTC and Banking regulations.
• Entering data and numerical information into a computer system with speed and accuracy and maintaining electronic records, files and databases.
• Operating a personal computer utilizing standard and specialized enterprise software.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
• Analyzing problems, resolving disputes and presenting effective solutions.
• Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required; AND two years' customer service or bookkeeping experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
Utilities Customer Service Representative City of Waco, TX 2 of 3
• Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License.
• According to the needs of the City, specific training and certifications may be required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The physical activities of this position include: o Balancing - Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling and walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces. o Reaching - Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction. o Walking - Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another. o Pushing - Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward. o Pulling - Using upper extremities to exert force in order to drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion. o Lifting - Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles. o Finger Dexterity - Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling. o Grasping - Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. o Feeling - Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips. o Talking - Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. o Hearing - Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make the discriminations in sound. o Repetitive motion - Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
• The physical requirements of this position: o Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time.
• The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception and field vision: o The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
• The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position: o Work is performed primarily in an office setting or well-lit, temperature-controlled working environment.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an 'at-will' relationship.
Utilities Customer Service Representative City of Waco, TX 3 of 3 Job Description Acknowledgement I verify that I have received a copy of my job description by the signature below. As an employee of the City of Waco, I understand the duties and responsibilities assigned to me. Furthermore, I understand that the duties listed above are guidelines and will change over time, as necessary. From time to time, I understand that I may be asked to perform duties and handle responsibilities that are not specifically addressed in my job description.