Senior Information Technology Analyst 2016 City of Waco, TX 1 of 3 Senior Information Technology Analyst Professional / Technical 1840 Physical Type # 1 Information Technology Manager Information Technology 127 Exempt
Under general supervision, provides hardware and software support for the City's computer programs, peripherals, equipment and infrastructure for the Information Technology (IT) Department.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Maintains and upgrades network system, hardware, peripherals, specialty equipment and software applications; analyzes IT operational issues and resolves problems within scope of authority and training; duties may vary according to job assignment.
• Implements and maintains technology solutions for the City's network and server infrastructure.
• Works independently to identify and analyze IT operations, prioritize solutions and assure that hardware and software systems are available, reliable and efficient.
• Manages IT projects for implementation and integration of new technology and system upgrades.
• Performs system maintenance and updates according to IT Department procedures and industry standards.
• Analyzes and makes changes to the application programs, including development, maintenance, upgrades, installations, user access, second tier assistance, testing and security.
• Maintains, tests and troubleshoots operating systems and technical problems; restores functionality, documents procedures and provides user training.
• Monitors network functionality and utilization; researches security and access problems and develops solutions; detects and corrects errors; monitors and verifies data backups; identifies technical problems which need to be addressed by improved procedures and work standards.
• Identifies problems and diagnoses and troubleshoots operational issues; monitors operational and access trends and enforces security protocols.
• Maintains midrange and network server operating systems and application software.
• Writes new and modifies existing control language programs for system management.
• May coordinate with the work of Help Desk Technicians; prioritizes service requests, assigns work, monitors results and provides technical leadership and guidance; verifies that all service issues are addressed and resolved.
• Refers complex problems to IT Management and tracks the problem until it has been resolved.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work- related issues and City information.
• May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City-wide emergency or as required.
• Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
• Driving is essential.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• City organization, operations, policies and procedures.
• Current IT operations, policies and procedures.
• Network topologies and protocols and internet technical knowledgebase services.
• Network hardware, software and peripheral equipment maintenance and troubleshooting techniques.
Senior IT Analyst City of Waco, TX 2 of 3
• Network system access and security guidelines and standards.
• Principles and practices of technology management, infrastructure system development, project planning and systems integration in a public sector environment.
• Analyzing IT issues, evaluating alternatives and developing recommendations and strategies.
• Working independently in a technical environment with interlinked and changing priorities.
• Quickly and effectively diagnosing and resolving technical problems in a network environment.
• Assessing customer support needs and developing and implementing effective solutions.
• Using basic tools, equipment and procedures for repairing computers and peripheral devices.
• Interpreting and completing technical instructions and complex variables.
• Installing, configuring, testing, operating and maintaining IT network systems and equipment.
• Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
Associate's Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology or a related field is required; AND three years of current IT project management and technical support experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science is desirable.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
• Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License.
• Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle and other professional IT certifications are desirable.
• Some incumbents may be required to obtain additional specific skills training and technical certifications.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The physical activities of this position include: o Balancing - Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling and walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces. o Stooping - Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist. o Kneeling - Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees. o Crouching - Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine. o Crawling - Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet. o Reaching - Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction. o Pushing - Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward. o Pulling - Using upper extremities to exert force in order to drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion. o Lifting - Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles. o Walking - Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another. o Finger Dexterity - Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling. o Grasping - Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. o Feeling - Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips.
Senior IT Analyst City of Waco, TX 3 of 3 o Talking - Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. o Hearing - Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make the discriminations in sound. o Repetitive motion - Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
• The physical requirements of this position: o Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception and field vision: o The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices; and/or assembly or fabrication parts at distances close to the eyes. o Requires vision capacity to perform fine calibrations and differentiate between colored wires.
• The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position: o Work is performed primarily in an office setting or well-lit, temperature-controlled working environment; with some travel from site to site o The worker is subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals. o The worker is frequently in close quarters, crawl spaces, enclosed rooms and other areas that could cause claustrophobia. This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an 'at-will' relationship. Job Description Acknowledgement I verify that I have received a copy of my job description by the signature below. As an employee of the City of Waco, I understand the duties and responsibilities assigned to me. Furthermore, I understand that the duties listed above are guidelines and will change over time, as necessary. From time to time, I understand that I may be asked to perform duties and handle responsibilities that are not specifically addressed in my job description.