Code Enforcement Inspector 2016 City of Waco, TX 1 of 3 Code Enforcement Inspector Professional / Technical 2360 Code Enforcement Supervisor Inspections 220 Non-Exempt
Under basic supervision, enforces health and safety ordinances for the City; patrols City to identify and investigate violations; notifies offenders, maintains case files and resolves complaints.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Patrols City to check for violations of City health and safety codes; responds to complaints, identifies and inspects violations and contacts individuals to discuss violations and procedures for resolving compliance issues; prepares violation letters and citations.
• Re-inspects previous notified violations to verify compliance; explains and enforces City codes, regulations and code enforcement rules.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work- related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
• Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License.
• May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City wide emergency.
• Driving is an essential function for this position.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• City policies and procedures.
• Local building and property maintenance ordinances, codes and regulations.
• Record keeping and file maintenance principles and procedures.
• Geography, roads and landmarks of City and surrounding areas.
• Interpreting and applying statutes, rules, ordinances, codes and regulations.
• Dealing tactfully and courteously with the public and handling stressful situations and angry people.
• Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with co-workers.
• Operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of business and specialized software.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required; AND one year of customer service or construction experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
• Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License.
• State Code Enforcement Officer License is required within one year of hire.
Code Enforcement Inspector City of Waco, TX 2 of 3
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The physical activities of this position include: o Balancing - Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling and walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces. o Reaching - Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction. o Standing - Particularly for sustained periods of time. o Walking - Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another. o Finger Dexterity - Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling. o Grasping - Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. o Feeling - Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips. o Talking - Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. o Hearing - Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make the discriminations in sound. o Repetitive motion - Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
• The physical requirements of this position: o Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• The following personal protective equipment may be required and must be worn when required by the task being performed o Hardhat, gloves, reflective vest and proper footwear up to and including steel toed boots.
• The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception and field vision. o The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices; and/or assembly or fabrication parts at distances close to the eyes. o The worker is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned (i.e., custodial, food services, general laborer, etc.) or to make general observations of facilities or structures o Requires vision capacity to perform fine calibrations and differentiate between colored wires.
• The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position o Work is performed primarily in a vehicle traveling from site to site. o The worker is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside with temperatures that may be below 32° or above 100° for periods of more than one hour. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions, such as wind and humidity. o The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level. o The worker is subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals. o The worker is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system or the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation.
Code Enforcement Inspector City of Waco, TX 3 of 3 o The worker is frequently in close quarters, crawl spaces, shafts, man holes, small enclosed rooms and other areas that could cause claustrophobia. o The worker is required to function in narrow aisles or passageways.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an 'at-will' relationship. Job Description Acknowledgement I verify that I have received a copy of my job description by the signature below. As an employee of the City of Waco, I understand the duties and responsibilities assigned to me. Furthermore, I understand that the duties listed above are guidelines and will change over time, as necessary. From time to time, I understand that I may be asked to perform duties and handle responsibilities that are not specifically addressed in my job description.