Code Enforcement Manager City of Waco, TX 1 of 4 Code Enforcement Manager Management / Supervisory 2338 Director of Housing Housing 132 Exempt
The Code Enforcement Manager performs a variety of leadership and technical duties in support of the City of Waco's Code Enforcement Program. Using sound judgment and a proactive approach, the Manager performs the duties of Code Enforcement Officer, enforcing a variety of applicable ordinances, codes, and regulations related to land use matters, building construction, housing standards, health and safety, property maintenance, fire safety, vehicle laws, and other matters of public concern that directly impact the community. Additionally, work involves scheduling, assigning and evaluating code enforcement program activities; manages code enforcement field officers and administrative support staff directly.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Manages, organizes and prioritizes the work activities, schedules and assignments of code compliance staff.
• Provides leadership in citizen relations, technical support, and safety and problem solving; sets priorities and policy for enforcement goals.
• Makes recommendations to the Director for updates to existing or enacting new, ordinances for the city that address systemic nuisance problems; seek the City's attorney advice through the Director and input where necessary.
• Assist in developing goals for the City's Code Enforcement Program that reflects an awareness of private property rights and evaluate effectiveness of work program to accomplish these goals.
• Supervises all code enforcement cases that go to court; when necessary act as the City's representative in code enforcement cases before the court; assist in determining when necessary to utilize the City's attorney(s) in code enforcement cases that go to court, or to assist the code enforcement officer in building a case to go before the court.
• Guides, reviews, and approves assigned projects.
• Acts as department representative at hearings; interprets codes and assist in advising hearing examiners and city attorneys in developing and setting policies and procedures.
• Responds to citizens for code interpretation, determination of violations, requests for information, conciliation.
• With assistance of the Director, recruits, trains and evaluates code compliance staff.
• With assistance of the Financial Supervisor, manages the departmental budget, ensuring spending levels do not exceed the budgeted amounts. Authorizes all departmental expenditures with approval from Director.
• Conducts random daily patrols of the city and identifies the existence of code violations. Identifies legal owners or responsible parties, and issues violation notices and civil citations. Directs corrective action to be taken, and determines periods for compliance.
• Conducts on-site inspections of all residential and commercial rental property, when needed. Works with property owners and agents to ensure acceptable living standards. Enforces city licensing requirements for all rental properties registered in the city rental program. Investigates complaints of unlicensed rental units.
• Prepares a variety of written reports, letters, memos, and correspondence related to enforcement activities.
• Answers inquires and educates property owners, business owners, and residents on city ordinances, zoning regulations, property maintenance standards, and other code related issues. Organizes and performs code enforcement departmental educational outreach to residents on code awareness.
• Investigates resident complaints concerning suspected code violations. Maintains an open dialogue with complainants, as necessary.
• Enforces state, county and city sign ordinances; removes illegal signs.
Code Enforcement Manager City of Waco, TX 2 of 4
• Evaluates and coordinates the abatements of public nuisance violations by utilizing private contractors. Performs evaluations of contractor services for approval of payments.
• Maintains accurate, complete records of complaints, inspections, and violations utilizing the department's database.
• Reports illegal construction and land use violations to county level agencies, as necessary.
• Present cases to the Building Standard's Commission for recommendation of tagged substandard properties.
• Attends bi-weekly city council workshops and/or meetings as needed, to assist Director in advising council members of code enforcement activities and address resident or staff concerns. Maintains a working knowledge of the code of ordinances and recommends new policies and code revisions as circumstances dictate.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work- related issues and Police and City information.
• Establishes general department policies, goals and procedures for the department.
• Performs other duties as required or assigned.
• Driving is essential.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• City policies and procedures.
• Interpretation of detailed title searches.
• Federal, state and local health and safety laws, rules, ordinances, codes (International Property Maintenance Code) and regulations.
• Develop and maintain a comprehensive understanding of the City's Code of Ordinance, City of Waco's Housing Codes, and ICC codes; knowledge of municipal government procedures; operations, services, and activities of a municipal code compliance program
• Principles and practices of code enforcement, investigation and inspection and public relations techniques in code compliance activities.
• Pertinent codes, ordinances, laws, and regulations pertaining to nuisance abatement, property maintenance, building, health and safety, and related areas.
• Procedures involved in the enforcement of codes and regulations including methods and techniques of conducting and documenting field investigations.
• City services and organizational structure as they relate to code compliance.
• Geography, roads and landmarks of City and surrounding areas.
• Legal actions applicable to code enforcement compliance.
• Record keeping and file maintenance principles and procedures.
• Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
• Independently performing a full range of municipal code enforcement and compliance duties.
• Interpreting and applying applicable codes, ordinances, and regulations related to, nuisance abatement, and health and safety issues. Inspect and identify violations of applicable codes and ordinances.
• Enforcing pertinent codes, ordinances, laws, and regulations with impartiality and efficiency.
• Responding to inquiries, complaints, and requests for service in a fair, tactful, and firm manner.
• Investigating complaints and mediate resolutions in a timely and tactful manner.
• Preparing accurate and detailed documentation of investigation findings.
• Maintaining complex logs, records, and files. Research, compile, and collect data.
• Preparing clear and concise technical reports.
• Making oral presentations and testifying in court.
• Reading and interpreting legal documents and descriptions.
• Understanding and following oral and written instructions.
• Communicating clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Code Enforcement Manager City of Waco, TX 3 of 4
Bachelor's Degree in Construction or Property Management, Building Inspection, Civil Engineering, Criminal Justice, Business or Public Administration or related field is required; AND five years extensive experience in housing, commercial property management, code enforcement, or related field with three years of supervisory experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
• Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License.
• State Code Enforcement Officer License is required.
• International Property Maintenance Code Certification is preferred.
• Zoning Certification is preferred.
• Disaster Response Certification is preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The physical activities of this position include: o Standing - Particularly for sustained periods of time. o Walking - Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another. o Finger Dexterity - Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling. o Grasping - Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. o Feeling - Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips. o Talking - Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. o Hearing - Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make the discriminations in sound. o Repetitive motion - Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
• The physical requirements of this position: o Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• The following personal protective equipment may be required and must be worn when required by the task being performed o Hardhat, gloves, reflective vest and proper footwear up to and including steel toed boots.
• The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception and field vision. o The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices; and/or assembly or fabrication parts at distances close to the eyes. o The worker is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned (i.e., custodial, food services, general laborer, etc.) or to make general observations of facilities or structures o Requires vision capacity to perform fine calibrations and differentiate between colored wires.
• The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position o Work is performed primarily in an office setting or well-lit, temperature-controlled working environment; with some travel from site to site.
Code Enforcement Manager City of Waco, TX 4 of 4 o The worker is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside with temperatures that may be below 32° or above 100° for periods of more than one hour. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions, such as wind and humidity. o The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level. o The worker is subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals. o The worker is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system or the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation. o The worker is frequently in close quarters, crawl spaces, shafts, man holes, small enclosed rooms and other areas that could cause claustrophobia. o The worker is required to function in narrow aisles or passageways.
This job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required. City management has exclusive rights to alter this job description at any time without notice. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an 'at-will' relationship. Job Description Acknowledgement I verify that I have received a copy of my job description by the signature below. As an employee of the City of Waco, I understand the duties and responsibilities assigned to me. Furthermore, I understand that the duties listed above are guidelines and will change over time, as necessary. From time to time, I understand that I may be asked to perform duties and handle responsibilities that are not specifically addressed in my job description.