The purpose of this position is to operate heavy equipment for a variety of construction and maintenance operations within the City. This is accomplished by using equipment such as: backhoes, rollers, graders, and front-end loaders to complete construction projects; monitoring landfill gases; recovering refrigerant; and assisting with landfill operations. Other duties include performing preventative maintenance; providing traffic control; and interacting with other City employees and citizens.Essential Job Functions
- Performs heavy equipment operation in order to maintain landfill by using equipment to push trash; maintaining the appropriate grade and compaction levels; hauling dirt; loading truck with excavator; driving truck to work site; combining trash and dirt in order to grade; and managing site.
- Excavating loads of metal for recycling; moving wood chips, recycled dirt, and concrete; maintaining stock piles; pushing brush, wood, concrete, and dirt with bull dozer.
- Provides traffic control by directing traffic at work site; and communicating safety rules to customers.
- Performs preventative maintenance by greasing equipment; cleaning filters; checking all fluids; inspecting undercarriage; tracking inspections; and cleaning tracks.
- Assists with landfill operations by screening waste that may be hazardous and providing facility maintenance.
- High School diploma or GED with six months/one year of advanced study or training.
- Over two years of heavy equipment experience. Experience working in a Landfill preferred
- Valid Class B CDL Driver's License or must be able to obtain within six months of employment. EPA Certification for Refrigerants.
- Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Assignment is reviewed upon completion.
- Work requires the occasional direction of helpers, assistants, seasonal employees, interns, volunteers or temporary employees.
- Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
- Discussion Occasional: 20% or less of work time.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous